Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Rossi Squad Review

I was joking with our Rossignol rep about Squads, and he says, "well, come outside for a second." He opens the back of the Rossi van, and pulls out a pair of 191 Squads, hands them to me, and says, "enjoy."
    We compared them flexwise to an 04-05 180 Explosive, the Squads are at least 25% stiffer, if not more. If anyone was wondering, the dimensions are 133-100-123, with a 25m turn radius. For a big ski with this much sidecut, I anticipated these things to be kinda turny, but that was far from the case. Especially considering how much effort it takes to turn the skis, the best way to ski them is to turn as little as possible. This is the first pair of skis that ever really scared me. Mostly when I realized that I was maching through chopped up slush on top of frozen chunder and it felt like I was on a groomer, and the skis were still accelerating.
    They are a lot of work to ski, I wouldn't recommend trying to throw them sideways too much, unless you have legs of steel.
    I would love to own this ski, especially somewhere with more vert than Tahoe, say Alaska?
    Oh, and word is that they should be available for 06-07 at the latest. Question is, are they going to be softened up a bit?
    Last edited by Darkside; 04-06-2005 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside
    Question is, are they going to be softened up a bit?
    if Rossi (oops, I mean Quicksilver) has half a fuggin' brain, they won't!!!
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

wheeeee!!!

sounds stiff.
    how stiff compared to a Monster 103 ? (not those mojos from next year but the good old 103s )
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

I've heard every review about these things, from "Dream fat ski" to "Tank with bricks strapped to it", and I don't have any idea what to think anymore... but thanks for adding to the pool of opinion. I'll probably have to ski them myself.

Interesting though, I thought they were 98 waists. Not that 2 mm makes a big difference.

A few shops in Chamonix had the Squad 91 a copuple of weeks ago. Shopflexing it next to the Legend Pros made the LP`s seem a bit noodlish. And then there was the prize, 1200 Euros (1630 $!!!! ) Thats just twice as much as a pair of LP`s over here. From thinking jackpot! as I walked past the shop window and saw them I went to hell no! after going in to check them out. Im sure they would be great no turns burl burl mach looney skis, but the price is hard to justify....

... while the stiff Bros don't look as purty as the Squads ... THE STIFF BROS WILL ABSO-FUGGING-LUTELY SLAY THE SQUADS!!

one pic, 1000 words. Manu G has lost the other one on the bec des rosses... he was prolly...

maching through chopped up slush on top of frozen chunder [while feeling] like on a groomer, and the skis were still accelerating.....

Out of sheer boredom yesterday I called up Rossi to see if the squads were available, and while available the wholesale price of $895 is a bit sickening.
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Xover
    ... while the stiff Bros don't look as purty as the Squads ... THE STIFF BROS WILL ABSO-FUGGING-LUTELY SLAY THE SQUADS!!
    But you haven't skied the Squads, so you're pretty much just making that up, right?

Hooray for baseless hype.

Quote Originally Posted by phUnk
    But you haven't skied the Squads, right?
    you, lil man, need to start rubbing some elbows at the Sitz'

I don't think that the stiff Bro's will compare to these skis, something more like the Supastiffs, maybe. Besides, a ski with multiple sheets of titanium is going to ride differently than a ski made stiff from lots of fiberglass, right? Sounds like comparing apples to oranges, IMHO.

Oh, and I'll be at Alpine with these baddies tomorrow if any Tahoe mags want to try them out.

And if you have some Stiff or Stupastiff Bros to do a side by side comparison, that would be best.

Quote Originally Posted by Xover
    If you think those things are purty, I think you need to think about moving to Europe. I've heard that guys who wear leather pants with silk shirts are generally considered "purty" in France. Get to know it.

Why all that sidecut on the squad? Too much for this guy...The bros, w105s, m103s, iggy FFLs--now those are big mountain skis with the proper shape! Of course, it won't matter to team riders, they can tear it up on anything.

Darkside,

Do know how the squads compare or are different than the 03/04 B4s? Dimensions are the same. Are they the same ski?

I bought the pair Kreitler was selling and your review is good description of how the 03/04 B4 skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside
    Oh, and I'll be at Alpine with these baddies tomorrow if any Tahoe mags want to try them out.

I'll be at Alpine tomorrow also. This thread is making think about taking the B4 out. I'm not sure I want to work that hard. I would to like take a look at/fondle the squads.

Holy shit, what to say about these skis other than.... I WANT MY OWN PAIR. Got them from Darkside for about a day and a half. Being on the shorter side (5'3") and standing next to them is intimidating to say the least. First run in some of the stickest snow ive ever been on was, well, eye opening. The first attempt at turning was a failure, felt like 2x4's on my feet. basically straigtlined the first run. Second run got them turning a little and by the third felt good enough to take them to wolverine. Two turns in, screw it, straightline... Couple more runs and i decided to take them over to squaw and hike up to the funnel since Grunt was closed for some clean turns. The sound they make as they are CRUSHING avy debris beneath your feet is unlike anything i have ever heard. This description is perfect "maching through chopped up slush on top of frozen chunder [while feeling] like on a groomer, and the skis were still accelerating....." By the end of the day I had decided that at best I was the co-pilot and more than likely a passanger on these things. Took them back to Squaw the next day on some better snow earlier in the day and pretended that I tried to pretend i didnt have 2x4's on my feet and really started to feel like i was skiing them instead of being along for the ride. Was even making semi quick turns down north bowl and headwall face bumps. Landing's are super smooth and easy too with so much ski under you. Easily my favorite ski to date to just go out and haul ass on.

if you can get on a pair and let them run, they will go through ANYTHING if your willing, and trust me the sound they make is damn cool.
    If things seem in control, Your just not going fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague
    sounds stiff.
    how stiff compared to a Monster 103 ? (not those mojos from next year but the good old 103s )
    Supermojo for 06 is exact same ski as 103 with different topsheet. They had considered changing it a bit and making it a twin but decided not to. Mojo away.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

woohoo.
    glad to hear it.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

I feel my input is needed here. Rossi graphics = blah
    "I smell varmint puntang."

Quote Originally Posted by FNG
    I feel my input is needed here. Rossi graphics = blah
    From a distance, they look like old G4's. Heh.

This things killed it at Alpine today, probably my best day of the year. And I had to give them back today.

Oh, and people were gawking at them on the chair, one guy with some shitty Nordica carving skis was asking me about them, and then proceeded to tell me how great his 68mm waisted "world cup" skis were doing in the powder. I asked him why they made a cap constructed "world cup" ski, he mumbled that well, they were almost "world cup" skis and shut up for the rest of the ride. He obviously didn't know that I'm the hardcore police, all you Soft boot wearing mofo's better watch your backs.

speaking of Spats, anybody heard anything on the next McConkey evolution of the Spat from K2?

that one ought to be a trip

Quote Originally Posted by SquawMan
    speaking of Spats, anybody heard anything on the next McConkey evolution of the Spat from K2?
    Actually, you were the only one speaking of Spats.
    this was a thread about Rossi Squads

K2 Spats can be found here (via search function):
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/showt...hlight=spatula

[edit to say: I really dont think you could be "maching through chopped up slush on top of frozen chunder and it felt like I was on a groomer, and the skis were still accelerating" if you were on a Spatula. Big lines and big speeds require big stiff boards]
    Last edited by Core Shot; 04-13-2005 at 08:40 AM.