Thumbs up Bro Model review: Super Stiff

This review is of the Aspen core version. I have skied them 1 full day so far. I was skiing at Whistler in all types of conditions: foot deep powder, chopped crud, icy patches, and super slush.

My weight: 145lbs
    My height: 5'8"

Weight: One of the lighest skis I have ever been on, especially considering its size.

Flex: Stiffer than the Legend Pro. I actually skied the Legend Pro today for 3rd time.

Initial impressions of durability: I skied through Ruby bowl and hit several rocks toward the bottom. One of them forced one ski toward my chest like a mogul would - skied straight over it. I was sure I did some damage, but when I looked I could barely see a mark at all. Hopefully, this is a sign of excellent durability. Of course, it could just be luck.

Skiing in pow: The tips definitely had no problem staying on top of the snow which was great cause the snow was fairly dense, despite being deep. High speed made them much easier to ski. As I slowed down and the pitch flattened out, the tip actually did dive through the snow. I tried to lean back, but I believe because they are so stiff, they don't like being forced like that. Overall, they did great in the powder... just remember to keep moving. At no point did they lose stability.

Skiing in crud: These sticks freakin plow through anything. Obviously, you have to be somewhat careful of catching the ski, but as long as you are moving they will not be stopped by anything. I did take a run the other day at Baker on some crusty crud, and they did not enjoy that. The stiffness made it pretty easy to get tossed, but this could be expected of almost any ski in those conditions. Again they will go as fast as you want them to.

Skiing in slush: Very similar to skiing crud but they didn't have an tendency to catch in the wet stuff.

Skiing on groomers. I had them tuned at 2 deg and 1 deg. They are extremely easy to turn. You barely have to tilt the edge and the turn just happens. Edge grip is superior on icy surfaces. They do prefer large turns at high speeds, but shorter turns are not too difficult.

Skiing in Bumps: Not the ski for bumps... too stiff!

Overall, I was extremely impressed with the ski, especially the stability of it. I was looking to get the Legend Pro last summer. The Bro super stiff I believe is at least at the same level as the LP. It was worth the wait to get these skis.

Thanks PM Gear!

I had them tuned at 2 deg and 1 deg.
    What does this mean?

I'm a total tune jong - I do it with a foot stone from Bath and Body Works and file from ACE

Thanks for taking the time to write the review - at 145lbs the stiffs weren't to much eh? I keep leaning towards softs but then read all these stiff reviews and lean the other way.

If I'm looking at bros for my next pow ski, would you guys suggest waiting for next years or springing for this years? When does this years run end?
    Last edited by LaramieSkiBum; 03-30-2005 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LaramieSkiBum
    What does this mean?

I'm a total tune jong - I do it with a foot stone from Bath and Body Works and file from ACE

Thanks for taking the time to write the review - at 145lbs the stiffs weren't to much eh? I keep leaning towards softs but then read all these stiff reviews and lean the other way.

If I'm looking at bros for my next pow ski, would you guys suggest waiting for next years or springing for this years? When does this years run end?

2 degree side edge bevel and 1 degree base.

at 145lbs the stiffs weren't to much eh? I keep leaning towards softs but then read all these stiff reviews and lean the other way.
    That depends on what kind of skier you are and what kind of ski you like. I habven't skied the softs but I did flex a pair, they are pretty soft. Too soft for me. I'm about the same height and weight as funken and I love the stiffs.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vinman
    That depends on what kind of skier you are and what kind of ski you like. I habven't skied the softs but I did flex a pair, they are pretty soft. Too soft for me. I'm about the same height and weight as funken and I love the stiffs.
    You flexed the aspen core softs?

edit: funkendrenchman - if you had to mount again would you mount slightly rearward to prevent dive? Or is that tendancy at such a low speed to be negligible? I do alot of tree skiing, steamboat style, and dives = deadly.
    Last edited by LaramieSkiBum; 03-30-2005 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss
    2 degree side edge bevel and 1 degree base.
    ahh. Thanks!

You flexed the aspen core softs?

edit: funkendrenchman - if you had to mount again would you mount slightly rearward to prevent dive? Or is that tendancy at such a low speed to be negligible? I do alot of tree skiing, steamboat style, and dives = deadly.
    I would go with the same spot for now. I think the dive was simply because of the flat terrain and the deep, heavy snow.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman
    I would go with the same spot for now. I think the dive was simply because of the flat terrain and the deep, heavy snow.
    good to know- thx!

Edit: FYI - for you lurkers of this thread here is some excellent bro stiffness reports:

bro stiffness shizzle
    Last edited by LaramieSkiBum; 03-30-2005 at 12:53 PM.

Actually I think they were fir core.

And for mounting, mine are on the center mark. If I did it over I would go 1 cm back.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Glad you like them, funken. Kinda thought you might. And I think you'll like them more over time. Vin - you might want to check with Xover about that mount point. He skied 2P's with demos and he noticed the difference immediately. Once you go back you'll really feel the performance diminish. Sweet spot on that ski is microcosmic.

laramie, what are your specs? height, weight, ski style, etc. you may be want the softs for tree action.

mount point: if i had to do it again (no holes already in the ski) i would go 1/4-1/2 cm back. i wouldn't go a full cm but i'd like to try it on some demos. i'll ask some of the guys around here where they mounted.

bases: i had to do a soft grind on mine to open up the pores. i wasted tons of wax on my bases before i realized that they just wouldn't hold wax because the pores had closed. spend a six pack and get them lightly belted or stoned before you ski your double wax job off in 2 runs. after that they'll do fine.

edit: i don't know what the core on mine is but it would be interesting to know the differences.

I think yours were some of the first aspens, Seth. Black sidewall, right?

Quote Originally Posted by splat
    I think yours were some of the first aspens, Seth. Black sidewall, right?

yep

APD:
    i'm 190 lbs, 6' 1". I ski pretty aggressive – the steeper and faster the better. I have no race background. I have been pulling 25 – 40 days a year through college and plan on pushing that much farther when I have my weekends free again.

My current pow ski is the PR - I love how it turns on a dime, but when straight lining things at high speed in pow, I really have to get in the back seat. I’m just now getting into bigger air, and was seriously considering 05 pistols, but really like how my PR’s are light and easy to throw around in tight spots. I don’t have to tell you guys they are down right deadly at speed on anything with heavy chop or hardpack. I wouldn’t have even bought them except I got them on a warranty deal due to an absolutely trashed pair of X-Screams.

Every day ski for me is my 177 karmas - lovem to death, but no float, and just a tad floppy.

On fast hard days I ski 182 Six Stars' - awesome for going mach 10, but suck off piste, due to girth. I have no real experience with a wide stiff ski, so maybe I should demo a stiffer fat ski so I can better judge the stiff bros.

I will be moving to western Wyoming solely to be closer to Utah in May. I plan on an Alta-Bird pass next winter, so maybe tree skiing won't be quite as important as it is at steamboat.

The new aspen core soft bros seem like they might fit the job, since they will be considerably stiffer than pocket rockets, but still give me some flex for bumps and lower speed tree stuff. But if these 145 pound guys are rocken the stiffs, it really makes me think the stiff might be better.

I should note that Ron has been more than helpful. Based on my short experience with the PM guys in the last 2 days there is no doubt that they will be seeing my money over the years to come. As I type this I see I got a message from Splat

I think I might wait for next years bros, since I am in no rush right now - but as soon as next years run starts brewing, you can bet I will be one of the first to order/preorder some sort of bro.
    Last edited by LaramieSkiBum; 03-30-2005 at 10:26 PM.

well i gotta say that i think the soft, which aren't all that soft, may be a better all around ski for most. the stiff can be used to do it all but keep you honest while doing so. i would love to try the super stiffs but i think the stiffs better suit me. ideally i would have a set of stiffs and a pair of softs for the bc. the stiffs work fine and stomp landings better than my dp's but tend to buck me at the end of a long day of top to bottoms. that's where they remind me to stay on my game. btw, i'm about your height and weight.

if you're in slc you are welcome to try my pair. you should have someone near you that has a set of softs. ask around.

sweet thanks for your thoughts APD. I'll hunt around, and look forward to meeting you utards next winter, or possibly the moab mini.

Quote Originally Posted by AltaPowderDaze
    the stiff can be used to do it all but keep you honest while doing so.
    That's a good way to put it.

edit: Do you feel like they've softened up at all?

Not to hijack the thread, but about mounting points in general, does <1cm back make a noticible difference? I had my 8800s set 1cm back and they feel about the same as a pair I demoed on the line.

The sweet spot in the mounting point is at most about 5mm. A few runs on the grooms with demo bindings moved fore and aft will confirm this. In pow it wouldn't be as noticeable. But since almost all of the brototype testing was done in the summer, it was quite evident. But the tips won't dive in the deep, even though the mount seems forward.

edit: Do you feel like they've softened up at all?

a little. when i got them they were slightly stiffer than explosivs (at the tip and mid foot). now they are slightly less stiff than the explosiv but they have found a perfect flex for what i do inbounds.

But the tips won't dive in the deep, even though the mount seems forward.

i've never had a problem with that unless i was skiing upside down snow in the bc. but any ski would have had to be tailgunned in that instance.