Thread: Berthoud Pass

Use this if you want:
    I would like to make the following points regarding
    the Berthoud Pass Project:

1) Berthoud Pass (BP) is a historic site for the ski
    community of Colorado and the United States. It's
    legacy should be maintained so that future generations
    can not only enjoy winter sports there, but cultivate
    a legacy and history of skiing at BP and in America.

2) The notion of a snow play area at BP encouraging
    tubing or sledding is not consistent with a concern
    for public safety. Reviewing cases of snow play areas
    exposes a consistent history of serious accidents and
    will open the USFS and concessionaires to lawsuits.
    This is not a wise expediture of tax dollars. I would
    like to strike such a consideration from the plan.

3) I would like to be counted along with Friends Of
    Berthoud Pass (FOBP) in noting that the pedestrian
    plans are not consistent with safety concerns in terms
    of both other uses as well as avalanche and other snow
    hazards.

4) The parking lot should be of size to accomodate at
    least 100 vehicles. Anything smaller will limit
    recreational use.

5) I would encourage the construction of some type of
    shelter for use as a picnic spot and public gathering
    space.

6) I would hope that the USFS would consider allowing
    some sort of coop or club to operate a lift for skiing
    or snowboarding there sometime in the future. No
    development should preclude this option.

Thanks much for your time.

Sincerely,
    Buster Highmen
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Nate, Your comments are not counter-productive at all. In fact, I appreciate you taking the time to actually HAVE comments. The list on our website was a working framework. Below is the text of the formal sumbmission, which the Forest Service received today.

Out-of-state folks, don't be shy! We have members all across the country and in at least three countries overseas. How cool is THAT?!

I'm pleased with what we've accomplished so far, and proud as hell of our members and executive board. I can't thank you all enough for validating the effort we're putting in.

The Friends of Berthoud Pass applauds the United States Forest Service and particularly the Clear Creek Ranger District for continuing to encourage public involvement in the Berthoud Pass Trailhead Project Proposal and we are grateful for the opportunity to add our input to the process.

To our mind, the most important tenets of the future management of the Berthoud Pass area are continued public recreational access and preservation of environmental resources. In large part, the current proposal addresses these concerns, and thus we support the concept of a Continental Divide National Scenic Trail (CDNST) trailhead and the basic facilities suggested. While elements of the proposed plan are well conceived and have tremendous potential value, some features, in our opinion, fall short of an ideal target.

Areas of concern to us are: parking, pedestrian access and safety, and the general scope of the endeavor. We would prefer to see a smaller-scale project, with less landscaping and better winter pedestrian access and parking facilities than the current Forest Service proposal provides.

The current proposal makes provision for a potential future snow play area. We feel that a commercial snow play area does not suit the character or topography of the area. FOBP's position on snow play is that other, more appropriate, areas exist both geographically and from a safety perspective elsewhere than the summit of Berthoud Pass.

The management of the proposed trailhead facility is not specifically addressed in the current proposal. FOBP feels strongly that the Berthoud Pass area not be subject to use fees or private management. Continued free, public access is imperative to our central mission. It is our recommendation that operation and maintenance of any proposed development be publicly funded.

The only proposed structure in the current plan is a restroom facility. We support this minimalist approach and recommend a structure with little visual and physical impact. Additionally, we urge the Forest Service to examine the feasibility of a simple public structure that could enhance user enjoyment and safety. A simple “warming hut” type of structure could serve as a staging area for search and rescue efforts and serve as a shelter during severe weather. Such a structure might also incorporate historical and interpretive displays relating to the history and ecology of the area.

The architectural renderings prepared by Shapins Associates suggest a substantial decrease in parking. This is of concern to us as reduced parking is a potential impediment to access; the second element of our mission. Parking should be maximized where practical. Winter maintenance of the lower highway pullouts might alleviate parking pressure, and we encourage the Forest Service to examine all potential improvements and upgrades that maximize public parking in the area. Corollary to this, FOBP is
    Page 2 of 2

interested to learn what, if any, long term plan exists to provide for snow removal in the parking areas along the US 40 Berthoud Pass corridor.
    Regarding the existing lodge, no mention of a specific plan to remove the lodge has been made in the current plan. The continued degradation of the existing structure is rapidly becoming a larger public safety hazard. We encourage the Forest Service to proceed with its removal in as timely a manner as possible, adhering closely to the original proposed timeline for removal of the building by the end of the summer of 2005.

Winter pedestrian access was not adequately addressed in the proposal. This is potentially the area of primary concern to FOBP as the proposed pedestrian crossing zones appear at first look to be impractical and unsafe for winter time use. The proposed design does not provide for a viable and safe winter pedestrian crossing of US 40. Berthoud Pass sees as much, if not more, recreational use in the winter months as in the summer, and winter conditions require increased attention to safety. It is imperative that any plan include careful consideration of this aspect of public safety.

We commend the Forest Service for listening to our concerns and for involving the voice of backcountry users in the future planning at Berthoud Pass. It is with cautious optimism that we support the spirit and substance of the current proposal in that it addresses safe access to recreational opportunities at Berthoud Pass while maintaining the unique character of the area. We do, however, question some of the details of the proposal. We hope to work with you in achieving equitable and sustainable solutions to these concerns. FOBP joins you in your commitment to serving the needs of the recreating public at Berthoud Pass and re-affirms its commitment to cooperating with all stakeholders to fashion the future of the area.

Continued collaborative efforts will be needed to ensure that the Berthoud Pass corridor remains safe and recreational access remains uninhibited. The Friends of Berthoud Pass are ready and willing to work hard with the Forest Service and all other stakeholders to ensure success. Please let us know how we can help facilitate this in any way.

Sincerely,
    Friends of Berthoud Pass

(the actual letter was appropriately addressed and signed)

bump

bump for the last day of comments.

There's still time to send a quick note, if you haven't already.

Please take a minute today to email the Forest Service. Colorado maggots especially, regardless how you feel about FOBP or me personally, please let them know what you think of the proposal.

Thanks.

bump5678

Done! Buster thanks for the words...
    Tact is for those not witty enough to be sarcastic...

late, but done.
    Thanks for keeping this front and center Pinner and FOBP

My comments have been submitted.

I just got off the phone with the Forest Service. Our comments have been received and when I mentioned that FOBP did a "comment drive" I was told, "Yeah, that was great, I'm really glad you guys did that."

Thank you all so much. Have a great weekend!