Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts from SIA

-Atomic Triplets: my favorite new ski at the snow. Basically, they come in a triplet instead of a pair, you get three skis for the price of one. At first I thought the third was for a spare, but apparently they atomic binders come in three's too, so you can mount them all and choose which two you want to match up, like accessorizing or something. The Urban Triplets have the best graphics, a wild double edge underfoot to prevent compression when sliding rails, and rivets on the tips to prevent delams. The three skis thing raises some interesting questions regarding shop mounting procedure and three pairs for the price of two scam a set of friends could pull off.
    -Atomic Neox binders got 1.1 pounds lighter from last season.
    -Big Daddy has good graphic, the same otherwise, same for Sugar.
    -New Sweet Daddy. Flat tail (190cm, 121-80-107, 181cm, 119-80-105)
    -Fischer has hit the nail on the head in a few different ways.
    -10.6 unchanged except for graphics
    -Watea: 192cm, 134-101-124, wood core, sandwich construction, flat/mild swallowtail
    -Atua: 186 cm, 129-96-119, twin tip, wood, sandwich
    -Kehua: 177cm, 127-92-115, twin, wood, sand
    -X17 binder: Tyrolia race toe, seperate toe and heel with no lift, DIN 6-17

-Vist Binders are distributing in the US next year under their name and 4FRNTs deadbolt series of binders. Seperate toe/heel, no lift, metal base plate, lockoutable upward release on toe, DIN 8-16, 6-14

-Scott had skis out, I think a US distribution is on the horizon. They had a nice looking ski similar to Fischer's Watea in a 188cm

-Stockli DP comes in a 201, sheesh....has some asymetrical stabilizer on tail making skis right and left specific. You switch depending on hard or soft snow.

-New Rossi/Look heelpiece retains same look, but is no longer a turntable. Uses step-in heel screw pattern, but elasticity is increased to make up for longer footprint. Suppossed to make binders 40 percent more torsionally stiff. Seem pretty legit. Classic heel piece on P18 and FKS 185,155 binders will finally be fazed out after next season.

-Rossi B4 is Kawasaki Green and exactly the same as this year's B3, kinda ugly IMO.

-Atomic Pimp Daddy will come in 183.

-Salomon 1080 Series:
    1080 Gun, same as PR.
    1080 Foil, 124-87-115 in 182cm, something between this year's PR and 1080
    1080 Thruster, this years 1080 series
    1080 Flyer, price point twin, like 720
    Some sort of PR Lab ski I didn't get to see
    X-tra hot now called Scrambler Custom and is flat with no pilot system, 180cm longest.
    -x-wave boots get spaceframe.
    -1080 Lab CR johnson same with addition of shorter length avail.

-Head Monster 103 is called SuperMojo or something like that. They didn't have new version yet, will be twin tipped with that diamondy slick stuff like on Mojo. New Im88 with liquid metal seems like it might be the new R.EX. Mojo binder same as Fischer's with 5-15 din and 110mm brake standard.

-R.EX is back in Red, white and blue eagle graphic D. Rahlves pro model. Flat, no plates.

-4 FRNT Vinney ski comes in 190 and is friggen huge. Don't remember sidecut, but it's big.

-Big Troublemaker looks good to rival PR

-Armada had some new ultra fatty, bigger than JP vs. Julien. They have pretty great graphics this year, IMO.

That's all I can think of for now. Was too lazy to take pics, sorry.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Atomic triplets - you have got to be kidding. Did they really make that many extra skis that they have to give one away with every pair sold??

I can't imagine they are finally phasing out the classic Look heelpiece, there will be a lot of pissed off racers hoarding theirs right now. Or is this just a rumour to increase their profile and sell more. I can imagine them phasing out the newer pivot heel but the old turntable??

Are Atomic going to be selling their boots in threes too?

Quote Originally Posted by bossass
    Classic heel piece on P18 and FKS 185,155 binders will finally be fazed out after next season.
    Nooooooooooooooo! How can they do that?
    I guess I'll just have to hold onto all the P18/ZRs I have now.
    Any idea what it will be replaced with?

I'm sure bossass can answer it better, but as far as I know, the new high-end look/rossi binder is going to be a beefed up version of the axial/nova crap. Hoard your turntables...NOW!

Mervin MFG AKA Libtech / Gnu showed off there skis. The ervin skis feature a scalloped edge like you would find on a serrated nife blade and is simular to the concept that they are using on one of there boards this season. However the skis where the only pair they had ready for the show and where too soft so they had them bolted to the wall so you could not flex them.
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

The P18 is going to stay the same, the Pivot is changing. The PX is supposed to give better boot/binding coupling and the forward pressure is increased by %40. In short, longer mounting pattern, better boot hold. the P18 will never change.
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Triplets, Can you say excess?

Any news on AT bindings?

Quote Originally Posted by extreeski
    Any news on AT bindings?
    Lou's Site

is reporting Dynafit Comfort DIN of 12 and a new Titantium Dynafit that weighs 1lb.
    Elvis has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by Laps
    The P18 is going to stay the same, the Pivot is changing. The PX is supposed to give better boot/binding coupling and the forward pressure is increased by %40. In short, longer mounting pattern, better boot hold. the P18 will never change.
    That's not what the Dynastar product manager said. I said, "So your finally retiring that classic heel piece after like twenty years?" He said, "Yup, the new race binder in 2007 will be based on the new bindings for 06."

I could be wrong. The nostalgiac part of me hope I am, but the tech head part of me can't deny the new binding has advantages.

RE Triplets: I think it's a damn good idea. Maybe not mounting all three and playing Paris Hilton at the hill, but getting three skis for the price of two is a damn good deal in any setup. It's like have a get out of jail free card when you blow out an edge. What's not to like about that?
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

I skied the Fischer Atua a bunch when I was in Utah last time, and I love that ski... so much fun, so much pop.

The 4FRNT Vinny ski is called the VTC and comes in a 170-180-190 and has a 104 waist or something. It was supposed to be Eric Hjorleifson's pro model until he left.

Eric Pollards new park ski has a 110 waist, and nearly symmetrical dimensions (think Volkl Sumo), and the Prophet has been extended into an entire line of skis, starting at the 130 waist and working down...
    Last edited by BakerBoy; 01-28-2005 at 01:50 PM.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by BakerBoy
    The 4FRNT Vinny ski is called the VTC and comes in a 170-180-190 and has a 104 waist or something. It was supposed to be Eric Hjorleifson's pro model until he left.
    That is true. It is also made from stiffer material then last year's skis so skis very nice. Also the "supermodel" versions of the MSP are the pro stock core's used in all the skis given to team members. They are stiffer then last year's models which should make them perfect for anyone looking for a stiff all mountain fat twin that's not a noodle. I'll report on the VTC once i get my hands on them

Thumbs up

-Atua: 186 cm, 129-96-119, twin tip, wood, sandwich
    That's the last 4 letters of my last name.
    I'm going to have to buy those, that's as close as I'll ever get to a pro model.

yeah, you'll just have to add the "barry-atta-wah"

Try it with a little more Basque in your voice.

It's not Japanese, for fuck's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by skier0178
    That is true. It is also made from stiffer material then last year's skis so skis very nice. Also the "supermodel" versions of the MSP are the pro stock core's used in all the skis given to team members. They are stiffer then last year's models which should make them perfect for anyone looking for a stiff all mountain fat twin that's not a noodle. I'll report on the VTC once i get my hands on them
    Now this got my attention...

Quote Originally Posted by optics
    Try it with a little more Basque in your voice.

It's not Japanese, for fuck's sake.

[Saddam]"Reelaaaaaax, guy! What's the big fucking deal, bitch?!?"[/Saddam]

--Atomic Neox binders got 1.1 pounds lighter from last season.
    So now they're just fuckin' heavy insetead of really fuckin' heavy?
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by skier0178
    Also the "supermodel" versions of the MSP are the pro stock core's used in all the skis given to team members. They are stiffer then last year's models which should make them perfect for anyone looking for a stiff all mountain fat twin that's not a noodle. I'll report on the VTC once i get my hands on them
    Quote Originally Posted by skier666
    ...now this got my attention.
    I concur. So does pro-stock core = wood core, and will the "supermodel" be availible on all lengths? I feel a little awkward that the ski I'm gawking at most is made by a new school company. I guess I'm just used to them all having stupid gangsta rap graphics and seeming more at home in a spagetti pot than on a slope.
    "I smell varmint puntang."

Quote Originally Posted by FNG
    I concur. So does pro-stock core = wood core, and will the "supermodel" be availible on all lengths? I feel a little awkward that the ski I'm gawking at most is made by a new school company. I guess I'm just used to them all having stupid gangsta rap graphics and seeming more at home in a spagetti pot than on a slope.
    All their skis are wood core, last year's too (maple I believe). Not positive about the lengths but i know the 180 and 187s are available in the supermodel. Nothing wrong with liking new school, and I think the MSP graphics are pretty cool. If you think trees are gangsta then I guess the MSP are too...

Well shit...time to call September Santa.
    "I smell varmint puntang."

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f
    i Dynafit Comfort DIN of 12 and a new Titantium Dynafit that weighs 1lb.
    the Perfect binding for Bro models!...just gotta find some Dynafit inserts for my Richlee F1 pro's

-Atomic Triplets: my favorite new ski at the snow. Basically, they come in a triplet instead of a pair, you get three skis for the price of one. At first I thought the third was for a spare, but apparently they atomic binders come in three's too, so you can mount them all and choose which two you want to match up, like accessorizing or something. The Urban Triplets have the best graphics, a wild double edge underfoot to prevent compression when sliding rails, and rivets on the tips to prevent delams. The three skis thing raises some interesting questions regarding shop mounting procedure and three pairs for the price of two scam a set of friends could pull
    I agree with someone else- Atomic just proved that they have to give you an extra board in order to influence the purchase. I guess that if a set of buddies wanted to go in on 2 triplets- it's not really a scam. Wierd marketing tactic. Hmmm.... did I just say "go in on 2 triplets"? Did anybody ever see that one... Nevermind.

Triplets sound like the next step in planned ski obsolescence. Will they warrantee the third ski to always keep you at a triple, or is the third one just supposed to tie you over until two explode.

At least it is a new idea though.

Atomic is just REALLY ahead of the game. They can see the nuclear war coming with China and when everyone starts growing third legs they'll already be selling skis in threes.