186 Legend Pro mounting (again)

UPS man showed up with some orange tanks today

Now where to mount for all around performance on hard-snow/crud/junk (this has been covered, but a summary can’t hurt)?

There is no mark on ski. General consensus seems to be that the recommended mounting point is too far forward, and you should go 1cm back. But, I am a bit confused as to what the recommended spot is.

Some posts say 80.5cm with tape measure pressed against the ski the whole way is the rec point, so you should go 79.5cm.

But I also found this...
    according to the du\ynastar rep i got 'em from
    78cm or so is far back powder stance,
    82 is gs race car stance...
    went right between 'em (80)

So 80 or 79.5? Some people even are happy with the 80.5 setting too right?

I have mine at 79.5 and definitely think this is the all around spot. The skis are stiff and I don't like the idea of too much tail behind me. If I were going to be using them as powder specific, I'd go another 1cm back. But I'm not, and neither are you, so I really think 79.5 is right on. However, if you're more jib-centric (which I'm not) and feel more comfortable with a centered mount, then I'd go with an 80.5cm+ mount.

Quote Originally Posted by slim
    I have mine at 79.5 and definitely think this is the all around spot. The skis are stiff and I don't like the idea of too much tail behind me. If I were going to be using them as powder specific, I'd go another 1cm back. But I'm not, and neither are you, so I really think 79.5 is right on. However, if you're more jib-centric (which I'm not) and feel more comfortable with a centered mount, then I'd go with an 80.5cm+ mount.
    OK thanks. Anyone else?

These orange things so bomber and smoove looking. They are not as scary stiff as some reports would indicate; seem about equal to the explosive, but maybe a little more rounded. Can't wait to try them

I used the 80.5 (tape flat) from the tail for a boot center and then split the difference between that and a traditional pins at chord center. Of course, I mounted them tele, and I doubt you will find this information all that helpful. Interestingly, I mounted another pair tele previously without knowing the boot center location, and the two mounts are very similar.

I'll be on my LPs tomorrow. We had some good snow today, and I can't wait to play on these suckers.

I mounted mine at 80.5 cm from the tail with a flat tape. I like a strong tail kick, and they certainly provide it. I didn't have any problems in 3+ feet of powder, though I did experience tip dive on occaison (4% snow so whadya expect). I really like the way they perform on hardpack/junk and especially crud. Frikin bulldozers, but like ballerina bulldozers. Get the fuck outa my way attitude, but in a graceful way.

On what dynastar is saying,
    79.5 is the currently recommended mounting point
    80.5 is what they recommended last year

FWIW.

Don't worry about the mounting too much - just get out their and enjoy. Also, the graphic is not exactly centered (it's like a couple mm off) - it originally freaked me out cause I thought they had screwed up my mount, until i measured from the edges and sidewalls. It's just barely enough off to be able to see it (specially if you have a maxplate binding with holes).

Quote Originally Posted by seldon
    On what dynastar is saying,
    79.5 is the currently recommended mounting point
    80.5 is what they recommended last year
    OK sounds like 79.5 is the spot. Where do you get your Dynastar Intellegence from?

The rep up here is saying 80.5 with the tape straight, not countoured to the ski. Who the hell knows. No matter which way you mount them they will rip.
    Like some people have said, if you plan on using them as powder boards mount them back (obviously). I had them out for our first 'real' pow day yesterday and they definitely like to submarine. I think the stiffness has a lot to do with that. Not a big deal, it just requires a little adaptation.
    I plan on using it more as a chowder ski, so the recommended mount point works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gwat
    The rep up here is saying 80.5 with the tape straight, not countoured to the ski. .

80.5 straight? Ssccchhweet. That is a permutation I haven't even hearted yet.

Quote Originally Posted by descender
    I also found this...
    according to the dynastar rep i got 'em from
    78cm or so is far back powder stance,
    82 is gs race car stance...
    went right between 'em (80)
    yup, that was me. only skied them 8 days, then sold 'em cause i was too poor to keep them (stupid student loans ) anyways, i was stoked on the 80cm measured from tail w/ the tape pressed down on the ski.
    and those skis kick ass. have fun no matter what!

79.5 cm, tape pressed the whole way

80.5 cm, tape pressed the whole way

Ya' know Descender...That's a sweet/nice/killer quiver. I feel tortured just looking at it! Props to you for going LP!

Maybe I can get sloppy-seconds (like your V-Ex's) when you get bored of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man
    Ya' know Descender...That's a sweet/nice/killer quiver. I feel tortured just looking at it! Props to you for going LP!

Maybe I can get sloppy-seconds (like your V-Ex's) when you get bored of them?
    Thanks. I am feeling a little insane for having what is billed as a super extremo big mountain ski as my groomer ski.

Nah, 186s are for pussies. 194s are the super extremo big mountain ski

Quote Originally Posted by gwat
    Nah, 186s are for pussies. 194s are the super extremo big mountain ski
    me = total wus
    So that makes sense.

I called D-star and the word is, for last years LP:
    80.5 cm tape pressed
    For this/next year LP (which has some metal protector on tip tail, not sure about any other changes):
    79.5 cm tape pressed

I am going to use next year's rec, 79.5, and should have just listened to Slim in the first place.

Thanks for playing everyone.