Bro review, Mammy 12/12

Big props to Vets for the Bro demo on Sunday at Mammoth. Thanks for hooking us up and dealin with all the switching etc and waiting for our friends. Now onto the review:
    Me: 5ft 9, 160lbs, no rockstar, weekend warrier who likes smooth surfaces (no bumps), pow, touring.
    Previous skis liked: 188cm 4x4 Big (flames), 183 Sugar Daddy.
    Previous skis like, but didn't love: Monster 85's, 180 explosive (too short)
    Previous skis disliked: B3, Inspired Big, Big stix 86
    Conditions: pp and Mammy wind buff were the primary conditions

For what its worth Volkl's have usually been a bit stiff/big for an everyday ski for this kid, this includes the 188 G4 and 190 Explosive. That having been said I'm dreaming of a 185cm Explosive

First impression:
    These things are reeeaaallly light weight. I would love these for touring. The are very versatile, possibly because of this light weight. They made all turn shapes quite easily and definitely ski shorter than 188.

The soft was fine. Fairly stable, but without much spring or energy. Gave them up after a run or two for the stiffies.

These were more fun for me. Still not super stiff. The Big's have a stiffer tail making for more energy on the groomer than the Bro's, but the Bro's did hold when put way out there on edge. Considering the demo Bro's were basically prototypes I have no way of knowing how much they have softened over time, but I was surprised how much easier to ski (I would usually equate this with softer) they were than the Explosive or Big's. The Sugar Daddy has very similar dimensions and strikes me as considerably stiffer torsionally and longitudinaly. For me I would seriously think of picking up the Bro's as a touring ski. Light, fat, easy skiing, and I can see how they would be sweet in the soft. Took a few runs on Vet's 190cm Explosives. The metal, stiffer flex, and weight of these things make them considerably more demanding, but I also had a blast on them. The Bro's are pretty darn stable considering they are softer and lighter than the Explosives. Basically I would tell everyone to go with the stiffies unless you know you like softer skis.

Mrs. Comish tried both. Those were the longest and stiffest skis she has tried so not too much to compare them with from her. Her normal ski is a 179cm Monster 85 for reference. She also liked the stiffies more than the softs and agreed they skied shorter than 188cm. She thought they were just too fat/long for her on that day, but she did enjoy them.

Get the stiff's

Thanks again Vets, did I forget anything we said on Sunday?
    He who has the most fun wins!

thanks comish, very informative!
    BTW, I haven't tried my BROs yet ( there's no snow), but after drilling freerides I was astonished by their weight simply HALF of karhu jaks.

Thumbs up

Thanks comish for your thoughts! Glad you got to ski 'em.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," said Alice. "Oh, you can't help that," said the cat. "We're all mad here."

Mounted my brototypes today...

If we only could have some snow.....

I will use them on a lot of touring, so like the weight too!!!
    Last edited by Teletori; 12-14-2004 at 04:44 PM.

Teletori - your brototypes are way heavier than the production models.

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61
    I was astonished by their weight simply HALF of karhu jaks.
    I've never thought of the Jak as a very heavy ski...

Quote Originally Posted by bad_roo
    I've never thought of the Jak as a very heavy ski...
    exactly! It's not heavy at all! this is why I was astonished, anyway there's a table somewhere.....
    ah! here it is:
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21117

jaks look heavy here simply cuz they're listed with the lighter skis I know

I was also amazed how light the bros were. Amazing. For me they are too light, but I am sure others would like that feature a ton. Great touring option.

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Star
    Any plans to make a Bro with a full sheet or two of Ti in them? I didn't know they would be considered to be so light.
    Why?

What would it add that you think is currently missing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Any plans to make a Bro with a full sheet or two of Ti in them? I didn't know they would be considered to be so light.
    Yeah it is called the Explosive.

Leave that production nightmare to volkl, they are having real trouble getting good quality Ti tor skis......100's of production CMH's had to be scrapped after pressing due to Ti problems!......

No metal = snapier ski...
    want a stiffer ski add more wood, works out lighter than tin.

Explosives are the only ski that uses metal......? Riiight. Every major ski company these days makes something with metal in it. They all have major problems? All GS race skis have metal in them.

It doesn't have to be Titanium either. It can be 7075 al or high grade stainless.

Metal skis can certainly have a ton of snappyness/pop, and livelyness.......but with heft, dampness and solidity, which makes me in favor of it. Ski a sandwich gs ski some time.
    Take him skiing Idris - It sounds like he could teach you a thing or two!

All I'm saying is that there may be a market for a signifigantly heavier version with some metal, and some more stiffness. I wouldn't buy the current version since it doesn't suit my preferences.
    UMMMM, mebbee the ProBro might suit you?
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," said Alice. "Oh, you can't help that," said the cat. "We're all mad here."

There's plenty of other skis with metal in them, I even own some.
    I think a couple of people around here do as well

I would venture to say there are as many if not more skis with metal in them than there are wood-only skis these days. Nothing wrong with liking metal skis. The ability to tour the ski was a prime consideration in making it as light as it is. Can't make everybody happy. We'd love to, but it's a lofty goal. As for making skis with Ti, it'd be nice, but as a startup, we can't overextend ourselves with metal just yet. Currently, our focus is production. Once that is completed, the future is up for debate. We've been approached by a few people who want capitalize PM Gear to do more. We'll see. But we're taking it one day at a time.

Totally understood. Thanks for the compliment. It's been as ass-bust to get to this point, but really freakin gratifying when people say they love the ski.

The pro-bro was very stiff. The lightness didn't seems to effect the bomber-ness, and they didn't deflect. However F=MA still applies so they didn't feel like tanks on your feet.