Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Lost skier around JHMR

Jackson Mags. We've been looking for a lost skier since late last night. Last seen inbounds around 2:00 and got on the tram at 2:55 so we're assuming he went OB solo at some point yesterday afternoon.

18 YO kid, red hair, green/yellow hat, forest green jkt, "fat line skis", new to the area and not prepared for OB.

If anyone sees anything that might help call the Sheriff's office or just dial 911.
    Thanks

+++vibes+++

Bump.....

Edited for posting unconfirmed rumors before thinking.
    Last edited by Lawless; 01-12-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawless View Post
    Just heard he was found in Granite, not alive. Hope that rumor is false.
    Ouch. Hoping this is false as well.
    vibes for sure.

http://www.jhunderground.com/

Jackson Hole Mountain Resort and Teton County Search and Rescue have resumed searching for a missing skier, Zephyr Rapinchuk, who was last seen yesterday at the resort.

Ski patrol and rescuers began searching at 10 p.m. last night in an area known as “Paradise Lost,” in Cheyenne Gully near the southern boundary of the resort at approximately 8,500 feet. They found no sign of Rapinchuk and called off the search at 2:30 a.m., according to a resort press release.

The search resumed this morning, the resort said, and Grand Teton National Park rangers have joined the ground and air operation.

An Internet search finds that Rapinchuk, 18, is a student at Lewis and Clark College in Portland, Ore., and is from Northampton, Mass.

Temperatures last night plummeted below zero. The search comes after ski patrol and park rangers rescued a lost snowboarder who left the resort boundary and descended into Granite Canyon last week.

* Facebook
    * Twitter
    * PrintFriendly
    * Share/Bookmark

Posted under Ski Resorts, Sports
    2 Comments so far

ram January 12, 2011 1:55 pm

Kid was just found dead… in a treewell.
    js January 12, 2011 2:42 pm

As of 2:30 p.m., resort says nothing confirmed.

EDIT: Not good news to be heard on this one.
    Live Free or Die

I'll keep holding on to hope till it's confirmed.

Vibes, hope the kid is found!

Quote Originally Posted by Lawless View Post
    Just heard he was found in Granite, not alive. Hope that rumor is false.
    Hope for your sake that family and friends are not watching this forum for information about this individual.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Quote Originally Posted by SkiJunky05 View Post
    I'll keep holding on to hope till it's confirmed.
    Agreed ^^^ ++vibes++

Tough to hear as always. . . +++Vibes+++
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

No good. Thoughts go out to friends and family.
    Live Free or Die

From jhunderground.com:

Update 3:45 p.m.: A source with knowledge of the incident confirms that the skier is dead. Searchers found his body in a tree well in bounds near the East Ridge chairlift.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    From jhunderground.com:

Update 3:45 p.m.: A source with knowledge of the incident confirms that the skier is dead. Searchers found his body in a tree well in bounds near the East Ridge chairlift.
    thats horrible news, feel real bad for the friends and family.

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/article.php?art_id=6878

Skier found dead at JHMR

print page | email editor

By Brandon Zimmerman
    January 12, 2011

A male skier who went missing at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort late Tuesday was found dead inbounds at the resort Wednesday afternoon, officials confirmed.

The body of Zephyr Rapinchuk, 18, of Northampton, Mass., was found in a tree island below Hanging Rock Traverse on the upper mountain at approximately 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jackson Hole Mountain Resort said.

Ski patrol determined Rapinchuk had collided with a tree. He was transported to the Teton Village Clinic, where he was officially pronounced dead.

Rapinchuk was last seen by friends and family at 2:55 p.m. Tuesday going up the Aerial Tram, according to Jackie Skaggs, spokeswoman for Grand Teton National Park, whose rangers assisted in the search.

A search was initiated at 10:07 p.m. Tuesday night by Jackson Hole Ski Patrol and Teton County Search and Rescue. The teams searched for Rapinchuk in an area known as Paradise Lost in Cheyenne Gully near the southern boundary of the resort at approximately 8,500 feet. The search was called off at 2:30 a.m. when no signs of Rapinchuk were found.

Grand Teton National Park Rangers joined the search when it resumed Wednesday morning.

Check Thursday’s Jackson Hole Daily or click back on jhnewsandguide.com later for more information.

PRESS RELEASE

Media Contact

Zahan Billimoria
    307 739 2704

Missing Skier Found at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort

(Teton Village, Wyo., January 12, 2011) Following an extensive search involving members of the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort Ski Patrol (JHSP), Teton County Search and Rescue and Grand Teton National Park Search and Rescue, it is with extreme regret that officials at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort announce that missing 18 year old skier, Zephyr Rapinchuk from Northampton, MA was found unresponsive at 1:30pm in a tree island below Hanging Rock Traverse, on the upper mountain at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort.

JHMR Ski Patrol assessed the situation and determined that he had collided with a tree. They transported the victim to the Teton Village Clinic, where he was officially pronounced dead.

"The staff at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort join me in expressing our deepest sympathies to the family and friends of the deceased," commented Jerry Blann, President, JHMR.

Zahan Billimoria

Communications Manager

Jackson Hole Mountain Resort

Email: zahan@jacksonhole.com

Phone: 307 739 2704

Cell: 208 709 0858

www.twitter.com/jhski

www.facebook.com/jacksonhole

Damn....

This season has been brutal, My heart goes out to the family. There is little reason why I couldn't have died three weeks ago, trees have little mercy.
    Major vibes.

I know four people down for the season since last week...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

crap

. . .

Awful. Looks like he was a creative and passionate young skier.

http://www.blurb.com/books/1540653

RIP Zephyr.

Hutch, looking at that just destroyed me.

Talk about a soul-skier.

Wow.

EDIT: If I had the money, I would get that published as a coffee table book in his memory. Lord knows I would buy a few copies.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Absolutely brutal. My thougths are with his friends and family...and you guys...be safe out there. Too many times too close to home.

RIP Zephyr.

"Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Very Sad. That kid very well could have been a mag...
    This is the worst pain EVER!