Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Marker Tour F12 Major Failure

Just returned from a trip to Chamonix where I utilised my new F12 bindings, unfortunately the binding completely failed whilst skinning the Leschaux Glacier! As you can see from the pictures it's not good!!!

This was only the sixth day of use for this binding........... Fortunately I managed to attach the binding in ski mode which allowed me to ski out, slowly, the 8 or so Km back to the lift up to the train that takes you back to Chamonix.

I have contacted the shop where I purchased the binding from and they have confirmed they have forwarded the pictures to Marker. I have also emailed Marker direct.

As yet I have had no contact from Marker...............!!!

Anyone else had any problems?

Damn dude that sucks. "Lucky" it broke while touring as opposed to while skiing where you could have messed yourself up.

Good luck dealing with marker and the whole situation.

Nothing to contribute other than I need to figure out a way to insert "whilst" into more of my writings. It adds a certain air of dignity and refinement.

"Joe Strummer was masturbating with a plastic bag over his head whilst watching The Jeffersons."
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Marker Tour F12 Major Failure

It looks to me like the problem may be the design of the new toe piece? If you look at the pictures and compare between the F12 and the Duke you can clearly see that the Duke 'bottoms out' where as the F12 has a gap between the toe piece and the runner. This causes a large force on the moulding if the binding goes to 90 degrees or more!

verbs, did you take a knee fall?

JS, The Jeffersons? you sick fuck

Can you describe the circumstances in more detail? Temperature? What were you doing whilst you broke your bindings? Skinning? Attempting to fingerbang a mountain goat?
    imz-design
    industrial design • new product development
    http://www.imz-design.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    "Joe Strummer was masturbating with a plastic bag over his head whilst watching The Jeffersons."
    Quote Originally Posted by Imz View Post
    Attempting to fingerbang a mountain goat?
    some funny shit in this thread.

I can see from those in duke pics vs the tour how a ton of stress can be put on that pivot point. But I don't understand what you could be doing to have your foot at a 90 deg angle to the ski. However, i did pull a move like that today when i was on a skin track in a tight corner whilst ducking some tree branches and my knee was on the ski.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Can you describe the circumstances in more detail? Temperature? What were you doing whilst you broke your bindings? Skinning? Attempting to fingerbang a mountain goat?
    ^^haha^^ good thing is you didn't get hurt, would have been bad news on the way down!

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    But I don't understand what you could be doing to have your foot at a 90 deg angle to the ski.
    It's called a "knee fall," i.e., when you fall forward while in touring mode, which can result in >90 degree and tremendous stresses on some binding designs. Another reason to go Dynafit.

Ouch. Just got some Tour10s for the Duchess. Hope to never see something like that. Good luck with Marker. Let us know how it turns out.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    +1 on this. WTF is wrong with you? Hahaha! That is just so wrong in so many ways!?

To verbs post: I was wondering when this would start showing up? Glad nothing bad happened to ya except a suck ass trek out and a ruined day. Hope this doesn't become the norm.
    The Passion is in the Risk

But I don't understand what you could be doing to have your foot at a 90 deg angle to the ski. However, i did pull a move like that today when i was on a skin track in a tight corner whilst ducking some tree branches and my knee was on the ski. So I guess I do understand how you could have your foot at a 90 deg angle to the ski. Ignore my earlier statement. I'm a dumbass.
    FIFY.

I have seen similar happen in our shop as well. It was with the Squire binding so basically the non-touring version. One of the girls at our shop, who's smaller but an agressive skier, snapped the toe right off. Your shop will have to contact that area's rep and they'll most likely just send you a new one. I'm a Marker fan myself and have never had any problems getting warranty product from them. Our rep explained this binding as an 80% touring, 20% everything else where the Baron/Duke is the other way around. Either way, that sucks!

Temperature -8c, skinning (as stated in the original post!), Din setting 10, I'm 6' 4" 220lbs. Skis had been in my hotel the previous night, not left in the car.

Bindings had been used the previous 5 days, in ski mode only, and had performed very well!

No goats anywhere to be seen.........!

verbs, did you take a knee fall?

Yes sort of, slight depression under my left ski which resulted in left knee going down! Didn't actually fall, just went down low, ended up with the binding still attached to my boot and the ski behind me!

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    FIFY.

Thanks dick
    www.freeridesystems.com

Lean back and your boot breaks, lean forward and the binding explodes. The Euros seem pretty strict about skiing with perfect form.
    Last edited by sfotex; 01-08-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Lean back and your boot breaks, lean forward and the binding explodes. The Euros seem pretty strict about skiing with perfect from.
    Funny shit.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

It's called a "knee fall," i.e., when you fall forward while in touring mode, which can result in >90 degree and tremendous stresses on some binding designs. Another reason to go Dynafit.
    Quote Originally Posted by verbs View Post
    Yes sort of, slight depression under my left ski which resulted in left knee going down! Didn't actually fall, just went down low, ended up with the binding still attached to my boot and the ski behind me!
    Since peeps here seem to like jargon and having names for everything, I deem this action the "Curtsy" since verbs didn't actually fall. My basis will be that "knee fall" did not actually take place since there was no real fall. btw glad you weren't injured.

I further will coin the term "frobro" dedicated to dickbeard up there in post #12. This term/jargon to be used for an act of malicious ball biting resulting in butthurt. As in, " that dick just frobro'd me!" or in slang form "my dynafits frobro'd my ACL"
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by verbs View Post
    It looks to me like the problem may be the design of the new toe piece? If you look at the pictures and compare between the F12 and the Duke you can clearly see that the Duke 'bottoms out' where as the F12 has a gap between the toe piece and the runner. This causes a large force on the moulding if the binding goes to 90 degrees or more!
    I don't see the Duke being any better in that respect, with the Tour bottoming out pulls the axle toward the ski tip with a huge amount of force. On the Duke bottoming out will put the same amount of force on the axle, only in a more upward direction. The Duke just has more plastic there to help take the load.

Lean back and your boot breaks, lean forward and the binding explodes. The Euros seem pretty strict about skiing with perfect form.
    damm euro's

6'4" 220# and you chose a cheap plastic binding?
    picador

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    I don't see the Duke being any better in that respect, with the Tour bottoming out pulls the axle toward the ski tip with a huge amount of force. On the Duke bottoming out will put the same amount of force on the axle, only in a more upward direction. The Duke just has more plastic there to help take the load.
    That's a fair statement, think you have a valid point when you look at it that way...... Thanks for the constructive comments!

Thanks for reminding me where I come from..................

Quote Originally Posted by jon gaper View Post
    6'4" 220# and you chose a cheap plastic binding?
    Hm, the binding supposed to be suitable for the "heavier skiing", Marker quote 80 -250lb. I wouldn't say it was cheap either, not much difference between these and the Fritschi. I wanted something lighter for longer skins, I have the duke for other stuff, and this is exactly what F12 was supposed to be!!!

this thread is full of win...and fail.
    Glad you didn't get injured whilst bindings were exploding.

I have not fondled the f12's but from the looks of the pics it appears there is a substantial amount of mass removed from the area around the toe pivot housing, when compared to the duke. I would think they would want to beef up an area that will see more stress when its supposed to be 80/20 tour vs alpine?????= i.e. more time in tour mode and more time under stress from pivot movement.
    Last edited by 2nd mate; 01-09-2011 at 12:10 PM.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

we just had a broken griffon in the shop, one of the park kids broke the heelpiece, the gray plastic-stuff. (the jester has some magnesium parts instead ) maybe marker plastic can not take the force. they should reconsider magnesium for the tour f 12 2011/12

Since peeps here seem to like jargon and having names for everything, I deem this action the "Curtsy" since verbs didn't actually fall. My basis will be that "knee fall" did not actually take place since there was no real fall.
    The term "knee fall" -- which does not always involve a fall on your ass or torso, but, rather, refers to falling on your knee (get it now?) -- was established years before the term "peeps."