Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Nothing to offer here other than ++vibes++. Best of luck on your recovery. Hate to hear stuff like this, but it seems you have found a great source of info. Take care!

Axe
    Gravity. It's the law.

Ira,

Nothing to add here, except to say heal up soon! Give it hell!
    The Passion is in the Risk

Hey - Ira is holding steady & I think doing better. BTW this is Kara the AT skiing wife We decided on Craig in Denver, CO! Thanks to everyone for the good vibes...sucks to be going thru this but it could be so much worse. I feel lucky to have my hubby around.

Cheers! Need Beer!

Kara

Best of luck to the both of you. From everything i have heard, Craig is a great hospital. Give 'em hell Ira!

If you guys ever make it up to Utah and want some info. about our adaptive skiing program, shoot me a PM. We have a pretty sweet program that will allow the both of you to ski just about anywhere for no cost, including equipment rental if needed. I'd be happy to play tour guide if you need somebody to show you around the Wasatch.

I was going to have our attending physician give Ira a call tomorrow to to give him some specifics about the U of U program, but if you have officially decided on Craig, I will tell him not to worry about it.
    Last edited by climbhigh1119; 11-28-2010 at 09:49 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ira View Post
    Hey - Ira is holding steady & I think doing better. BTW this is Kara the AT skiing wife We decided on Craig in Denver, CO! Thanks to everyone for the good vibes...sucks to be going thru this but it could be so much worse. I feel lucky to have my hubby around.

Cheers! Need Beer!

Kara
    Speedy recovery...be careful out there

Ira

If you need someone to interact with who just went through this, PM me. My friend is going through this at the Uof U and his recovery has been a true miracle.

Good luck with recovery and rehab. +++vibes for increased sensation each day.

Let us know when you're settled at Craig and we'll see what we can rustle up for you in terms of visits, beer, etc.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Thanks to everyone. I plan to show up in Denver on Monday 12/6 and Kara will be with me to figure out logistics. Rehab will be tough but I am ready.

Ira

Kill it man. I'm in the Regis PT program in Denver and I've heard fantastic things about Craig. Plus you're just a short hop up to Winter Park and the awesome NSCD adaptive ski program as you recover.

+++vibes+++

Ira, best of luck and heal up! If you find yourself at the UW for some reason PM me and I'll bring some beers, food and stoke your way
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

Thanks for the tips & vibes!

+++ vibes +++

i also suffered a compression fracture of L1 (car accident).
    i however did not have to go under the knife (just a cast and subsequent brace).
    glad to hear that you are moving in the right direction.
    just remember that this too shall pass.
    you will turn again.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Ira, sorry to be late to this thread - I have had two close relatives with spinal cord injuries, both had excellent outcomes at RIC - Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago - ranked as the best rehab hospital in America by US News since 1991 - in latest ranking Craig is #7.

http://health.usnews.com/best-hospit...rehabilitation

Ira and Kara,
    I think you've made an excellent decision. Don't be swayed by US News reports. Craig may be ranked only 7th, but that's for overall rehab. Craig does only 2 areas of rehab, SCI and brain injury, and does them very well.
    Continued ++++vibes.
    stewey
    Sucks at internets

Here's where I am:
    I am just getting settled in herr, an my nw addy is:
    Ira Edwards
    C/O Craig Hospital
    3425 S Clarkson St
    Englewood, CO

I am just getting into the routine after a couple of days but these folks have it down here! And if my spirits ever get dampened I can look around and see that I have SOOO much more of me that is still put together and functioning.

For those in the area that are willing to come and cheer me up, You can send a PM and I'll get you the deets... I'll be here for a long while and would only like a few a day a max. I had a few 30+ ppl days in anchorage and man was I exhausted!

Thanks to all who helped get me here an keep up the prayers and vibes headed my way! Enjoy the winter!

Ira
    Last edited by Ira; 12-09-2010 at 01:14 AM.

Best of luck Ira. The mind is an amazing weapon.

Vibes man, hope you heal well and quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    ...and to add this place is fucken amazing. It looks like you have some great resources above.
    Thanks to you as well, sir. I'm sure I speak for all when I say you are a great resource to the maggot pet owning collective.

Sorry to hear about the accident. Keep your spirits up! I have spent my fair share of time around rehab units and it will exhaust every once of your being, but stay positive. Even the things that seem like small accomplishments are huge in the long run. I am hoping you have a full recovery. Best of luck.

Ira Update

Here's where I am:
    I am just getting settled in herr, an my nw addy is:
    Ira Edwards
    C/O Craig Hospital
    3425 S Clarkson St
    Englewood, CO

I am just getting into the routine after a couple of days but these folks have it down here! And if my spirits ever get dampened I can look around and see that I have SOOO much more of me that is still put together and functioning.

For those in the area that are willing to come and cheer me up, You can send a PM and I'll get you the deets... I'll be here for a long while and would only like a few a day a max. I had a few 30+ ppl days in anchorage and man was I exhausted!

Thanks to all who helped get me here an keep up the prayers and vibes headed my way! Enjoy the winter!

Ira
    This is Kara - anyone who is wanting to visit Ira at Craig should plan on weekend or evening visits. Ira will be very busy Monday - Friday 8 am - 4:30pm. Feel free to give me a call at 9076448585 since I can help coordinate or even give directions on getting around this place. Craig is huge!

Kara

Ok i need to change my PW so my wife can get her own account. She skis like a mag and now she spends enough time here...

Things are going ok. I just got into a wheelchair after 3weeks from the accident! I am somewhat unstable but mobile!!!

I get to eat real food and it has been a real treasure to have Kara down here this first month to help out.

I can feel a little more in the legs each day and yesterday, I twitched and moved my quadriceps VOLUNTARILY! Not close to healed, but this gives me more hope each day...

PT and other therapy keeps me busy like a full 8-10hr workday but it keeps me focused, healing and looking forward to more...got me a new brace that is only uncomfortable, no really painful.

That's all for today. I still dream of skiing every night, so that is def the "real" focus... and keep me company. It won't be long before I'll be able to start having more visitors from time to time! Those of you that have been here have been totally keeping my spirits high!!!

Ira

Hope & dreams are the best inspiration during the healing process. Keep your chin up and focus the day you are going to walk across the parking lot, throw your skis down and click in. It's all about the glide under your feet and the wind in your face! Good luck and work hard!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

I can feel a little more in the legs each day and yesterday, I twitched and moved my quadriceps VOLUNTARILY! Not close to healed, but this gives me more hope each day...
    Stoked for you dude!

Being mobile 3 weeks post injury is the definition of getting after it, way to go!

Ira - Best wishes for your recovery. It sounds as though you found the right place!

Quote Originally Posted by SitSki13 View Post
    Stoked for you dude!

Being mobile 3 weeks post injury is the definition of getting after it, way to go!
    Thanks for the good words from everyone! I am totally ready to be back on my feet by next season or try other gear if recovery takes longer as these kinds of things can.

Thanks again for those that hve come by so far, it really lifts the spirits!

Ira