Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Project Bike – Add to your Karma in three easy steps - Step 1, clean out your garage!

Daryll generously gave me his medium Yeti AS-X frame back in June. The swing-arm was cracked, but Mr. Altagirl was kind enough to donate his swing-arm and linkage. The frame does not have a shock or any other components.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So here's my winter Karma project in three easy steps:

Step #1
    I am soliciting donated parts from other generous Maggots to restore the AS-X to a fully functional all-mountain / freeride bike.
    Please send me a PM with specific details about what you are willing to contribute, i.e., brand, model, size, condition, etc.

Step #2
    As the Karma project bike nears completion over the winter, I will ask people that need a bike like this - but can't afford one - to send me a PM with a story of why they are deserving of receiving the completed bike. If you know of someone that would benefit by receiving this bike, but maybe they're too proud to ask, you can submit an entry on their behalf and you will receive additional tacky dirt and powder days for your selfless act.

Step #3
    I will strip off anything that might reveal the identity of an entrant's PM and post the entries in a thread with a poll so Maggots can choose the beneficiary of Maggot love and generosity.

Did I hear you say "I want to participate, but I don't have any parts to contribute."

If you are willing to contribute cash, I will pool the money and buy new parts using my connections to stretch the dollars as far as possible. If you would like to discuss this option, please send me a PM.

Below is the list several of you have asked for. If you see a part listed that should absolutely go on the bike or not go on the bike, please say so.

Donations received are shown in red below

Cash received:
    $25 (mrryde)
    $25 (Drsmonkey)
    $20 (monkeywrenchMoose)
    $43.71 + $40 for the Camelbak Mule (ZomblibulaX)

Parts received:
    Rear swingarm - AGs
    Fork - Manitou Sherman 170mm, 1.5 steertube - needs rebuild (Long Duck Dong);
    Shock (8.5” eye-to-eye 2.5” stroke) - Fox DHX has been purchased! (PeachesN'Cream) Manitou Travis 200mm double crown fork, needs work (beaterdit)
    Handlebars – Easton (AGs); 26.25" Specialized (Missiongravity)
    Stem - Bontrager Race 90mm & Funn Serial Mx 45mm (powking12)
    Brakes - Hayes (AGs)
    Saddle - WTB Speed V (powking12); Fizik Arondine(?) (Crystal Mt Dreamin)
    Seatpost - 30.9mm EA70 (ZomblibulaX); Easton (AGs)
    Seatpost clamp - clamp (Daryll); Salsa QR (powking12)
    Chain - chains (Daryll)
    Crankset – Truvative Hussefelt single ring w/bash & BB (Missiongravity)
    BB – New Howitzer (AGs)
    Pedals – CB 5050s new (Big E)
    Front derailleur – XT (AGs); X9 new (Big E); XT & Saint (powking12)
    Rear Derailleur – Saint (AGs); XT Rapid Rise (Missiongravity)
    Cassette – Shimano 9 speed take-off (Missiongravity)
    Wheels – Bontrager Big Earl 20mm through axle/10mm QR (Missiongravity)
    Tires - Kenda Kinetics Stick-E compound 2.6 wire bead front DH tire (beaterdit)
    Camelbak Mule w/o bladder (powking12)

It needs to be cleaned up, but here's a preview of the KPB Yeti AS-X

Last edited by InspectorGadget; 06-05-2011 at 11:02 PM.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Great idea; I have a KORE stem laying around. PM your address and I'll mail it.

Cool idea! I have some old XT shifters with the indicators removed. They work, one is a little sticky, but the stickiness might disappear if you open it up and clean it out a bit. I also have an extra cassette lying around somewhere...let me know if you want either.

I have a drawer full of parts that you're more than welcome to. Shifters, XTR rear derailleur, hydraulic discs, hubs, a bash ring, and some other random stuff. Lemme know when you want to meet up.

I've got some bars and a stem

If I end up drinking the 1x9 kool aid, I'll have an LX front derailler if ya want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

We've got a pile of stuff for you as well...
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

I've got various miscellaneous parts that I'd love to see go somewhere. Old shifters, grips that I just didn't like, etc.

I've got various bits and pieces as well (seat post, seat, pedals, chain, etc?) Maybe even a big ticket item or two, I could use some bike karma.

I'm sitting out the winter with an ACLR (due to high speed bike dismount) and would like to hit next bike season with all the luck I can get. Need to sell some bits to finance my wife's new ride before I can commit though.

Maybe a grid with everything that is needed (including specs) along with what has been donated would help to get everything lined up and avoid too much of the Franken-bike affect?
    "Always remember to be yourself. Unless you suck" Joss Whedon

Mr Worldwide - like Pitbull with a better vocabulary
    need these? front and rear, never sold em so they should still be laying in my basement. PM me an addy.

"Yeah, yeah. you buy Playboy for the articles just like I watch Brokeback Mountain for the scenery... wait, that doesnt work."

IG, great idea.
    Could you start a list of the items you have and or items you need in your original post so it's easier to see how this is progressing and see what component needs still need to be filled?

I have a wheelset I think I can spare. It is 20mm through and 10mm Qr in the rear. I am in Cottonwood heights so no shipping will be needed!
    I may also be able to help fill other voids as well.

I have a bar and xt front d... pm me if need be.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    IG, great idea.
    Could you start a list of the items you have and or items you need in your original post so it's easier to see how this is progressing and see what component needs still need to be filled?
    This..... I have some pieces.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

I'd contribute as well. Maybe a list of stuff that is required?

IG, maybe a list donateable parts available and we pick what parts to put on it, like a "dream garage" build. Be more work on the interwebs, but more interesting to chat about. Do a different part of the bike every week, ie drivetrain, suspension, wheels, misc parts. -a thought
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Don't have any decent parts and you may need to buy some shit anyway, but will donate $25 cash, PM me your address and I will send a check tomorrow or I can paypal too.
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

Damn, sick idea. I don't have too much, parts wise, but may have a seat hanging around. Update your original post w/ a needs list.
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by Crinkle View Post
    IG, maybe a list donateable parts available and we pick what parts to put on it, like a "dream garage" build.
    I like the dream garage idea. I don't have time to do it right now, but I'll start a list of what's needed and what's available in the original post.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

this is an awesome idea.

will go through spare parts.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Our stack of stuff for your build included:

Swingarm
    Hayes brakes
    handlebars
    seatpost
    front derailleur off of Mr.AG's old AS-X
    saint rear derailleur off of Mr.AG's old AS-X
    new bottom bracket
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

If anyone is offering up parts that may not work due to size or specs, etc. or someone else stepped up with a screaming deal like a like new something that they want to give away for the project, then maybe as time allows the other offerings would be in a FS thread with the funds going toward any expenses of say shipping the finished bike to the winner of the contest.

It is great that everyone is stepping up but the bike will only need 1 seat, etc. and there is bound to be multiple offers.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    ... but the bike will only need 1 seat, etc. and there is bound to be multiple offers.
    Not if its done right!

Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    Not if its done right!

There was talk of this NOT being a Frankenbike.... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    If anyone is offering up parts that may not work due to size or specs, etc. or someone else stepped up with a screaming deal like a like new something that they want to give away for the project, then maybe as time allows the other offerings would be in a FS thread with the funds going toward any expenses of say shipping the finished bike to the winner of the contest.

It is great that everyone is stepping up but the bike will only need 1 seat, etc. and there is bound to be multiple offers.
    Thanks for putting this in print. I was actually thinking much the same thing because I'm not overly confident someone will donate a functioning shock or fork, for instance. The money raised from selling duplicate parts could be used to purchase new parts or rebuilding servicable used parts.

Much as I like dumpy's tandem, I would like to avoid such a bastardization of the AS-X.