Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wailer 112RP Stoke

They're heeeerree.... and so I repeat from the Wallet thread, but only because we need a place for this.

You want to know what DPS shipped quality is like? This is what DPS shipped quality is like. Fucking second to none.

Mmm. Yes.

Eventually I'll take them out of the sleeves.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Yes, the Chinese are very good at what they do.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

*cough* these come shipped from Oregon. Presentation is wholly US. I'll leave totally inane comments concerning the global production of most everything these days where they belong -- in the "dumb! nationalism!" pile.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    still bangin' beats

Yes, the Chinese are very good at what they do.
    How's that computer your typing on working?

The little chinese factory workers are the best in the world at what they do, but it takes vision, dedication, $$ and time to put a product like this into production.

There will be no dis'in the mans new skis!

STOKE to for DPS doing it right... execution, delivery, color, MAGGOT approval rating, packing slip, tracking info, overseeing factory production...

Those are some mighty fine looking sticks you got there.

2 pair dood?

compare flexes yet?
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

FINALLY! now I know why those skis are so overpriced

I believe I already explained that I have no problem with the fact that their made in China. Everything on me desk, not just my computer, is. THAT'S WHY IT'S SO CHEAP!!!!

Just saying. It's not worth $1200 to me. That dps dude needs a kick in the nuts.
    No longer stuck.

That dps dude needs a kick in the nuts.
    I swear to god if I ever meet you you won't even see it coming.

ooooooo ahhhhhh
    surviving in the city, powered by wellbutrin

Fuck that, $1200 is way way too much to pay for skis made in a 3rd world country with no environmental or labor laws, and a dismal record on human rights.

Mine should arrive in a couple weeks. They ship the kids & girls skis first, the men's skis later.

Patches,

You Da Mang!

(Mine will be December, maybe late December!)

Concretejungle, I'm buying the beer, rock on Bro!

Lovely. I thought DPS weren't worth the money too. Then I rode some. Yeah, boo on made in China, but unbeatable workmanship.

I hate that you posted this thread; now I'll be checking my e-mails every hour for shipping notification.
    Any schwag come along with those skis? My DPS Tee is getting old and crusty.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

@ski whore / stucketc -- the Hybrid skis retail MSRP around $900. This is the same price as the S7 here in Whistler, but for a ski with carbon layup construction on a bamboo core, Austrian graphite race bases, reinforced mount plates, dampening, less weight, and, for a much stiffer ride, a true ripper's plank, not soft squish. That's not overpriced, that's a deal.

As for the Pures, yes they do cost $1200 or so, but so do race-room skis. And the Pures are in that category. They are made with pre-impregnated carbon, like in the aerospace industries. That's a unique dry layup that no one else produces. The results are incomparable. The SS tech provides dampening in a ski that is noticeably lighter. They are a high-end ski. You get what you pay for.

As for all the comments on China, I couldn't agree more about problems with human rights and a dismal environment record. Much the same, unfortunately, could be said for the United States, but moreover, could be said of any Western country during the centuries of industrial toil, circa the 18th through mid 20th centuries. Like the West, it is the economic advance of China, however, which has empowered factory workers to strike across the country over the past two years, as they pursue a proper working wage. And the irony is, the bloated US consumer will probably refuse to pay the HIGHER PRICES that fair wages will bring.

So get used to paying higher prices. As China moves away from bottom-of-the-barrel production, the rest of us in the West will have to start paying closer for the true cost of production. This will force some kind of crisis in the West, as China owns massive reserves in the US dollar, which the US needs to keep its struggling currency afloat, while China requires American consumers to buy its output. China is attempting to built its consumer class to the point where it can buy its own products, but this will not happen in time before the US consumer market heads into decline (which it already has, as of the credit crunch and subsequent depression beginning with the subprime housing collapse in 2007). Just this past week, China raised its interest rates. So be prepared for some interesting times. And while you're at it, get out and fucking ski already.

FLEX -- both skis seem nice and stiff for me, though with plenty of spring in the shovel and tail. It won't be until I mount and ride that I get a feel for this design. That said, all my DPS are in Flex 2, which seems ideal for nearly all riders.

As for schwag, want a shirt, check this out. ;p
    == | slacktopia | ==
    still bangin' beats

[QUOTE=khyber.pass;3024238]@ski whore / stucketc -- the Hybrid skis retail MSRP around $900. This is the same price as the S7 here in Whistler, but for a ski with carbon layup construction on a bamboo core, Austrian graphite race bases, reinforced mount plates, dampening, less weight, and, for a much stiffer ride, a true ripper's plank, not soft squish. That's not overpriced, that's a deal.

As for the Pures, yes they do cost $1200 or so, but so do race-room skis. And the Pures are in that category. They are made with pre-impregnated carbon, like in the aerospace industries. That's a unique dry layup that no one else produces. The results are incomparable. The SS tech provides dampening in a ski that is noticeably lighter. They are a high-end ski. You get what you pay for.

As for all the comments on China, I couldn't agree more about problems with human rights and a dismal environment record. Much the same, unfortunately, could be said for the United States, but moreover, could be said of any Western country during the centuries of industrial toil, circa the 18th through mid 20th centuries. Like the West, it is the economic advance of China, however, which has empowered factory workers to strike across the country over the past two years, as they pursue a proper working wage. And the irony is, the bloated US consumer will probably refuse to pay the HIGHER PRICES that fair wages will bring.

So get used to paying higher prices. As China moves away from bottom-of-the-barrel production, the rest of us in the West will have to start paying closer for the true cost of production. This will force some kind of crisis in the West, as China owns massive reserves in the US dollar, which the US needs to keep its struggling currency afloat, while China requires American consumers to buy its output. China is attempting to built its consumer class to the point where it can buy its own products, but this will not happen in time before the US consumer market heads into decline (which it already has, as of the credit crunch and subsequent depression beginning with the subprime housing collapse in 2007). Just this past week, China raised its interest rates. So be prepared for some interesting times. And while you're at it, get out and fucking ski already.
    check this out. ;p[/QUO

END of LECTURE!!! Hope You all paid close attention as everything will be on the next POP QUIZ!!!

SO THEIR!!!

carboner.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Khyber, are those tails on the Pures a little less rounded than the Hybrids?
    Kind of looks that way in your pics.

It's gonna be a good day when these things show up on my door.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    I swear to god if I ever meet you you won't even see it coming.
    It's a deal!!!
    No longer stuck.

Boner time

Just got tracking info and props to DPS for not using brown - down with Brown
    Black FKS should look nice
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post
    Out of curiosity, did you guys look at pursuing US manufacturing? If so, what was the projected retail cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Out of curiosity, did you guys look at pursuing US manufacturing? If so, what was the projected retail cost?
    They tried this first and failed as DB skis. Here is the DPS history timeline from the company website: http://www.dpsskis.com/company/timeline

Can't speak directly to this but from what I know China companies are mostly owned by Taiwan owners and carbon manufactoring being what is (expensive and very specialized) they have the cheapest labor for this type of manufacturing. Best price and best value for a standard of quality that is now dialed and exceeds most ski manufacturing out there seems like a solid business choice.

Not that I know specifics, but why constantly bring up the human rights thing because it is really just a big generalization and so hypocritical when more than half the tech we all use in our daily lives is made there?

Here is an article somewhat related but references the bike industry and carbon frames: http://www.vitess.com/wp5.html

Worth it or not is up to the buyer. And if you haven't skied them you should. I can't wait mine are on the way.
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    no us partner can currently make the skis. you need a custom designed press that can control temp and pressure much more specifically than a standard ski press, and a press that is able to fit our custom designed press bays that yield repeatable and matched camber and rocker profiles. there is way more variation in a traditional press than one may think through a run of 50 or 100 skis.

the cost is really way down the list, but would be very marginally effected... but i will refrain from guessing, as it isn't even in the conversation, at this point in US production. the cost of materials and development is why the skis are "expensive". though i frankly think they are a bargin. they are (in my opinion, and most others that have skied them) a totally different performance category from a traditional ski.

getting lockheed to press the skis isn't going to happen. and the ability of dps to capitalize itself to making skis in its own facility domestically in the current quantity to the current finishing level is simply not realistic in the foreseeable future.

have you been to the ski factories and seen the conditions? or are you just saying that ALL factories in a place with 1/5 the worlds population, that makes the majority of the goods consumed in the US are all the same?

i would compare the hybrid construction's ride quality and materials spec'd with top end stockli, kastle, and raceroom class skis for sure, and they are priced at $729-799, where the compitition is $1000+. heck even a volkl katana is $899. a rossi s7 is $799, a k2 darkside is $799, a lhasa pow is now $1000+, etc. sorry that dps is not stupid enough to way over produce and therefore have to blow out skis every year. that will just not happen. DPS just makes skis that sell. that is good business, not bad.

comparing an $1199 Pure ski to a $599 k2 kung fujas is so far beyond apples and oranges its not even funny. heck, comparing a $799 hybrid to a $699 k2 seth is STILL apples and oranges.

hopefully that clears a few things up.
    Last edited by marshalolson; 10-22-2010 at 03:30 PM.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com