Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

MPC# 53 Small Sensors (8/19-8/30)

Ahh, happy feeling achieved.

So I am going to try something different here. Inspired by Bklyn, any shot from any camera with a sensor smaller than 20.7×13.8 mm (APS-C). So leave your DSLR at home, micro 4/3 is OK. Point and shoot? Awesome. Cell phone cam? That works too.

Anyone can take a great pic with a great tool. In bike racing there is a saying, "It's not the bike, it's the motor." Is that true in photography? What can you do with something less than dslr?

I know I am limiting folks with equipment a bit here, so I am going to leave the subject matter wide open. I want to see what folks can come up with compositionally.

One more thing,
    PLEASE POST what type of camera you used when you post your pics.....

Good luck.

RULES:
    1. Photos must be taken within the time period of the contest.
    2. You may submit 3 photos during the competition.
    3. The contest moderator will choose 5 photos to be voted on.
    4. The winner will get a happy feeling in his/her pants. (That is a rule by the way, not an option.)
    5. In the event of a tie, the contest moderator will have the deciding vote.
    6. Winner will be the contest starter/moderator for the next comp.
    7. The winner has 3 days to start a new contest or 2nd place becomes the new winner.

Past Themes
    [ame="https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2931800"]MPC#52 Blur[/ame]

MPC #51 Found Faces
    MPC #50 Portraits
    MPC #49 Panoramic
    [ame="https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190628"] MPC #48 Light & Shadow[/ame]
    MPC #47 Timing
    MPC #46 Coffee & Beer
    MPC #45 Community
    MPC #44 Potential
    MPC #43 Solitude
    MPC #42 Holidays
    MPC #41 Ominous
    MPC #40 Imbalance
    MPC #39 Transition
    MPC #38 Unsightly
    MPC #37 Self Portrait
    MPC #36 Music
    MPC #35 Summer
    [ame="https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161455"]MPC #34 Passion[/ame]
    MPC #33 Home
    MPC #32 Electricity
    MPC #31 Bridges
    MPC #30 Old & New
    MPC #29 BW
    MPC #28 Winter
    MPC #27 HDR
    MPC #26 Shadows
    MPC #25 Circles
    MPC #24 Bars
    MPC #23 People
    MPC #22 Architecture
    MPC #21 Wild Beasts
    MPC #20 Water
    MPC #19 Bulb
    MPC #18 Celebration
    MPC #17 Sunrise & Sunset
    MPC #16 Out of Place
    MPC #15 Altered
    MPC #14 Angles
    MPC #13 Pain & Suffering
    MPC #12 Unusual Perspective
    MPC #11 Depth
    MPC #10 Contrast
    MPC #9 Festive
    MPC #8 Reflection
    MPC #7 Leading Lines
    MPC #6 Minimal
    MPC #5 Abandoned
    MPC #4 Perspective
    MPC #3 Airborne
    MPC #2 Straylight
    MPC #1 Motion
    This is the worst pain EVER!

advres Guest
    Great, now we have 2 threads on this topic but this one will be filled with uninspired shit. Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    Great, now we have 2 threads on this topic but this one will be filled with uninspired shit. Awesome!
    Maybe. Let's see how it plays out. FWIW, I debated topic really hard before posting it. I know that there are folks here that try really hard to get great shots, and are at times limited by equipment, at least when compared to others. I've seen some great shots come out of "small sensor" cameras.

If everyone thinks it's a sucky topic, let me know and we can press the reset button...

I think your sensor size limits allow the S90/G9/10/11 and probably the panasonic equivalents...was that your intention or do you want to limit it to true crappy little P&Ss?
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

Quote Originally Posted by khakis View Post
    I think your sensor size limits allow the S90/G9/10/11 and probably the panasonic equivalents...was that your intention or do you want to limit it to true crappy little P&Ss?
    All those are fine. I was/am trying to avoid DSLR with interchangeable lenses. As I said, Micro 4/3's is ok even with the ability to change lenses.

See the following chart.

If someone posts an awesome shot with a crappy P/S they might get bonus points tho...

advres Guest
    Entry #1 (iphone 3gs):

Touche'!

Can I make that my avatar?

tilted horizon, rule of thirds ignored completely, cords drawing my eye away from the subject...I don't think that's the kind of mindful composition he had in mind
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

All these would fall under the sensor size requirement. It can be done...

Best shot's I've ever taken? No. Uninspired? I wouldn't go that far...

Talking

I have 2 entries.

First one is of some jokesters I saw in Japan that thought it would be funny to put up an American flag:

My other entry is of this Afghan chick I came across on our last family vacation. Total hottie:

Taken with my 2.5 year old Motorola w385. It's got really great dynamic range:

Sure it can be done, but if I go to any place worth shooting I'm bringing my good body and my good glass, otherwise what the hell is the point of owning it?

Yet another MPC I'll be sitting out. Lame.
    Hail Ullr

Well, as I said in the last one, if you don't like the way this on is run, win one and start what you want to.

I've seen what you guys can do with your big guns. Can you do the same thing or make me say "wow" with something else? Right now, I'm thinking maybe not...

The more you guys complain, the more and more I'm thinking this is a good idea....

advres Guest
    Lonnie, I am not going to argue because you won the last one and it is your choice. I have no say in the topic.

I know you can get a great picture with a P&S. But I don't have one. Just know that not one of these contests so far have limited anyone from entering. This one specifically does by giving hardware requirements. And not that I'm going to go shoot my Holga specifically for this contest but even if I wanted to I couldn't because you specified sensors. So I have my cell phone camera that looks like shit so I'll find a couple more things to give the middle finger to and enter those as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gholman12 View Post
    Sure it can be done, but if I go to any place worth shooting I'm bringing my good body and my good glass, otherwise what the hell is the point of owning it?

Yet another MPC I'll be sitting out. Lame.
    p&s doesn't fit in your pocket when you're out with your bitchin DSLR?

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    I know you can get a great picture with a P&S. But I don't have one. Just know that not one of these contests so far have limited anyone from entering. This one specifically does by giving hardware requirements. And not that I'm going to go shoot my Holga specifically for this contest but even if I wanted to I couldn't because you specified sensors. So I have my cell phone camera that looks like shit so I'll find a couple more things to give the middle finger to and enter those as well.
    Point taken. Here's my counter. I am under no delusion and I know hardware maters in these things. There are alot of folks here that don't have expensive cameras or glass. Those guys rarely have a chance. In this one, they do.

Today, you can get a camera to go in your pocket that is just around $100. You can get a pretty kick ass Point and shoot for around $300. To me that's way different than saying to someone go out and spend $1000 or more on a dslr to play in one of these MPC's. And everyone I know has a camera in their phone.

We've had 52 other topics so far. The more we have, the harder it is to come up with something new and creative. Well, this is a way to come up with a different twist on this thing. My other choice would have been "Film". I didn't do that one because I thought it would be way more restrictive than this one, and would have taken alot longer to get finished (a month or more).

In the end, I'm not sure if this will be about picture quality as much as it will be about what people can do with the tools they have in hand. That's what I'm going to base the finalists on (if it makes it that far).

Let's let this marinate just a wee bit more. I am not opposed to killing it and passing #53 off to single, but on the other hand I am really interested seeing what folks can do. I've been thinking about this one for a long time and knew I'd get flamed for starting it. But if I didn't think I'd have the ability to be impressed by this one, I wouldn't have started it either.

Quote Originally Posted by outabounds View Post
    p&s doesn't fit in your pocket when you're out with your bitchin DSLR?
    I doesn't own one

I've got two APS-C DSLR's though!
    Hail Ullr

What about this. You can only use you kit lens?

Maybe I just give this one a pass. Thinking more and more about limiting who can get it, and it's not sitting favorably with me. Still not 100% ready to pass, but you guys are making head way.

I still want to hear from some of the folks that don't own DSLR's and regularly enter these things...

^Nikon sells/sold the 18-200 VR as a kit lens.

If it bothers you that much, delete this thread with only ~130 views, make new MPC. Problem solved.

FWIW I have w/ my S90 a lot more than I have my D200 with me.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    What about this. You can only use you kit lens?

Maybe I just give this one a pass...
    haha man for all my bitchin' I'm just givin you a hard time, it's your MPC and I'm just looking for an excuse to get outside and procrastinate on some MCAT studying (2 weeks til D-Day!!!!), which unfortunately I don't have with this MPC.

And that would work, except I sold that kit lens long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away

Hopefully some people pull some cool shit out of their hats. Carry on.
    Hail Ullr

I doesn't own one

Hah! The truth comes out (not the person, he's probably not ready for that).

Use your cell phone. Maybe an MPC pisses you off because it would throw you out of your comfort zone, which might benefit you more than an MPC that's tailor made for the rut you're in. Take some night shots in the city with your cell phone and process the hell out of them. Who knows, maybe you won't get smoked by some newbie with an old Powershot and you can treat us to the MPC of your choosing.

You've got nothing to lose if you play the game, and nothing to gain by sitting out.

Quote Originally Posted by outabounds View Post
    You've got nothing to lose if you play the game, and nothing to gain by sitting out.
    I like that.

It really wasn't my intention to piss anyone off with one of these. I thought it might be a good learning experience for us. "What am I taking for granted with my good camera??"

I like that.

It really wasn't my intention to piss anyone off with one of these. I thought it might be a good learning experience for us. "What am I taking for granted with my good camera??"
    Some people bitched about found faces while other people looked at things differently for two weeks. They bitched about the five I chose rather than thinking about why I chose them. Probably the same people are bitching now because they don't want to think about taking a good low-res image or wrap their minds around idea that they could take good photos with shitty gear.

Fuck 'em. An MPC that won't require them to use their brains will come along soon enough.

advres Guest
    Entry #2 (iphone 3gs):

Sorry, I couldn't find my X-acto knives (had to use a straight razor) to cut this out properly and frankly I wasted too much time doing this as it is.

^^^You're killing it. I've literally LOL'ed both times...

^^^You're killing it. I've literally LOL'ed both times...
    me too.... I've gotten some good images with small sensors, will have to bust out the p&s and remember to take some cell phone images.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.