Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The Machete Chronicles: Magic Mountain Volunteer Thread!

Magic is building glades, and could use your help clearing brush, branches and general debris. I went up last weekend and was blown away by just how beautiful it is up there and can't wait to go back.

I'm trying to organize another trip up there and bring as many people as I can, so who's in? What days work for people? Throw suggestions out there, I'm open for anything that gets the work done. I can't promise any kind of actual compensation besides the raffle(read on), some kick ass BBQ and a few beers but let me just say that this type of work really is its own reward. That, and you get to come back in a few months and rip the trail you've worked on, which should stoke your fire a bit.

As a thank you for the volunteers, I will be raffling off a custom-made "golden boy" machete at the beginning of the ski season for all those who give their time. I know I know, you can't ski on it, but it's the coolest thing I can think of that I can make from materials I have laying around the shop that would pertain to the subject matter. Every day you show up, your name goes into the hat. Show up three times, and you get three chances.

The only tools you'd possibly need would be
    1) Machete
    2) Loppers
    3) Hand saw or chainsaw
    4) Gloves

Thanks for reading. Let me know if you're down for the cause. We could all use a little ski karma these days.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

This is a repost from the "Save Magic" thread, but I felt it belonged here to set the stokage off right. I hope nobody minds.

Sorry, a couple of the pics are blurry I spontaneously suck at times. Here's a few trail whoopage shots first.

We hiked up there and immediately started to clear- This is about an hour into it. Still looking pretty hairy.

Better get to work...

Bigger picture from farther back.

After about another hour and change, we said "We're gonna need a bigger boat! So we called for reinforcements...

And in about four more hours, we had it pretty well cleaned up. I'm obviously skipping by a bunch of pics that you can't tell shit from, but you get the idea.

And then we decided to go for a hike before we left, it was too nice not to see some sights.

And then the big guy had enough... Who knew hiking to work was so hard???

A few parting shots...

I hope you guys enjoyed the pics. If you're thinking about heading up at all, DO IT! they need your help and it's a great time of the year to be in the hills.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Thanks DoWork!

Just wanted to say that DoWork did an amazing job this past weekend and his help is much appreciated. In case anyone was wondering he did clear this with Magic Management and he is taking direction on where to focus his efforts from us. The current project will make for an excellent East Side Glade.

I hope to join him and whoever else makes the journey the next time he heads out.

Finally, this glade cutting is definitely not the type of thing that requires a chainsaw with the exception of cutting up previously downed timber. We are working on glades here, not trails.

Thanks again to DoWork and anyone else who helps out.

Matt

Id love to join. PM me if you are doing any work post oct 11 (wedding day)
    Support a 6,000 mile bike tour for early literacy!

http://www.ride4ror.com

Those who work Oct. 24 and are then heading north to Ullrfest, toss some logs in your truck for the bonfire if you have room. It would only be fitting to bring some "Magic" to Ullr... (and vise versa!)

EDIT: Holy shit... Congrats Eric!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    Thanks DoWork!

Just wanted to say that DoWork did an amazing job this past weekend and his help is much appreciated. In case anyone was wondering he did clear this with Magic Management and he is taking direction on where to focus his efforts from us. The current project will make for an excellent East Side Glade.

I hope to join him and whoever else makes the journey the next time he heads out.

Finally, this glade cutting is definitely not the type of thing that requires a chainsaw with the exception of cutting up previously downed timber. We are working on glades here, not trails.

Thanks again to DoWork and anyone else who helps out.

Matt
    Thank you for chiming in. This can't be emphasized enough.

& thanks DoWork for the effort. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    That's what I meant, sorry... The bigger downed stuff took a while to cut through with the hand saws. I found myself wishing I had a stihl farm boss a few times but we made do regardless.

So you went up there, BB?

I will probably be going up either Thursday late night or Friday morning, then staying as long as the weather lets me. Right now Weather.com is calling for a 40% chance of showers for Saturday and Sunday, but that could mean anything. Anyone that's interested in the trip can PM me, or just jump right into this thread. I'll do anything I can to help you get there and no, you don't have to be a certified lumberjack to make an impact. Any help is still help.

Big Daddy, it just wouldn't be Ullrfest without letting the big guy know where to send all the pow! Consider it done!

i'm hoping to make it up there one of these weekends, but in the meantime, if anyone runs into an old school ROSSIGNOL pole with multi-colored graphics (the color scheme of the axiom) on master...er...mean upper magician (skier's right in the trees) please bring 'er home for me. i had to leave it behind during the big pow day in late january as i wasn't wearing crampons to negotiate the glare ice under the snow.

thanks

and hats off to DoWork. and thanks for posting the pics.

I'll try to make it on the 17th or the 24th.

Sorry Mike... I had to "dig" it out:

Yeah bucket I'll keep my eyes open for them. I sure am glad there's no mud shoveling involved... ESPECIALLY while wearing ski boots. What the heck are you doing in that picture?

ISBD, I'll PM you near those dates to see how they're looking for you. Hope you can make it!

if you find a watch, wallet, iphone, earphones, SPATEN CAP, anything that could fit into a backpack ,run the items by BUCKET ,beacuase there is a good chance he is looking for them.....I laughed so hard at the above photo from BD last year and laughed just as hard today.....I am in for the 24th, i will be pulling inot the lot late fiday night to sleep and work, drink and eat some PIG on sat......

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Yeah bucket I'll keep my eyes open for them. I sure am glad there's no mud shoveling involved... ESPECIALLY while wearing ski boots. What the heck are you doing in that picture?

ISBD, I'll PM you near those dates to see how they're looking for you. Hope you can make it!
    thanks DW...it's just the one pole...all the other stuff is the abuse i (still apparently) receive for a stretch of dropping things off the chair - or in the case of a glove, leaving it on the chair for the ride back down. it's a spring thing. don't lose gloves when it's cold out.

as for the pic, apparently for sugarbush, being open that last day didn't include maintaining a skiable path back to the chair, just a ribbon of snowy, pebble filled mud. so i grabbed a shovel and did a little trail maintenance, while others chose to play tourist: snap pics and mock
    Last edited by buckethead; 09-29-2009 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    ... so i grabbed ashovel and did a little trail maintenance, while others chose to play tourist: snap pics and mock
    Isn't that great!?

Mike, you are the man... I have a special present for you at Ullrfest.

Do Work, I'm still working on my schedule for the next few weeks but I'd love to be available

BB is it ok for folks to show up 1/2 Day on the 17th and 24th? I'm going to attempt to arrange my schedule so I'm free in the AM but I'm going to have to be back in Brunswick by 2:30-3 to close up the pro shop
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal View Post
    Do Work, I'm still working on my schedule for the next few weeks but I'd love to be available

BB is it ok for folks to show up 1/2 Day on the 17th and 24th? I'm going to attempt to arrange my schedule so I'm free in the AM but I'm going to have to be back in Brunswick by 2:30-3 to close up the pro shop
    1/2 day, full day, 1/4 day, we will take all the help we can get.

cool

Count me in at least for one of the days
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

If there's still work post halloween I'm game, but hopefully we're skiing then Unfortunately I'm booked until then

Kudos DoWork, definitely a beer on me this season!

Oh yeah, if anyone finds a flask (most likely in the vicinity of trick it's mine - probably the only thing up there that isn't bucketheads...).

Stoked on Magic this season

Mr Worldwide - like Pitbull with a better vocabulary
    if anyone heads up via 87 (THIN COVER, BIKER/BOARDER) or heads up from the nyc area drop me a PM.
    "Yeah, yeah. you buy Playboy for the articles just like I watch Brokeback Mountain for the scenery... wait, that doesnt work."

I'm in for pre-Ullr-fest workday as long as my help is not needed up in Granville. BD, thanks for reposting that pic, quality flashback.

I can likely pitch in the 17 or 24th, or both. No-go this weekend as I've been wicked sick.
    Dowork, looks like we're in the same area if you're up for splitting gas money/driving just drop me a pm.
    Knock on wood, the only thing I've lost @ magic thus far is blood but I love the place and will be picking up a pass and/or contributing to the share as $ allows in coming weeks.

I'll be there on the 10/17 for sure. Possibly again on the 24th.
    Ελευθερία ή θάνατος
    "Great moments are born from great opportunity."

Hey all, we're starting to get lots of responses, so I came up with an idea for organizing when people can go, rather than deal with them each individually. Each week, I'll post up a list of the days, and those wanting to head to Magic can fill their names in and repost as we go. That way, people can see at a glance who's heading up and where from for ease of carpoolage.

Week 9/28-10/4
    Monday-
    Tuesday-
    Wednesday-
    Thursday-
    DoWork (heading up in the PM, via Springfield, MA *room for 3*)
    Friday-
    DoWork
    Saturday-
    Possibly DoWork (weather)
    Sunday-
    Possibly DoWork (weather)

Yoda (love your user title btw) or anyone else- I'm totally down for carpooling, I drive like I'm getting paid for it anyways. Let me know when you feel better and I'd be more than happy to give you a ride up there. I have a Subaru Legacy Outback so there's plenty of room for people and gear.

If there are people farther away, if you can make it to Springfield I'll drive the rest of the way. PM me if you want to figure something out. I'll do whatever I can.
    Last edited by DoWork; 09-30-2009 at 10:02 AM.

I may be available for the 17th...
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb