Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Co Mags, Need Help: DIY Mountain Rescue

Kiska is still missing! Spread the word. Thanks!

Lost dog flier:
    http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/5570/kiskanotice.jpg

_B

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalPost
    Long story short, my dog Kiska is stuck near the summit of James Peak.
    I skied down to near where she is stuck, managed to downclimb some, she ain't hurt but it's a sketchball location and I couldn't get to her without proper gear.

She's about 300ft down from the ridge into Skypilot couloir.

I'm planning on heading back up stupid early tomorrow, set up a rappel (preferably from the ridge itsel, would require several 60m ropes tied together, but am open to suggestions, hence this thread. There are rocks around where she's stuck, but when I was sxrambling around there I couldn't find any confidence inspiring belay options... maybe someone with one of those bolt guns?) and get her.

Could really need some help from another experienced mountaineer who can help me set up the rap and spot me as I go down.

Dinner and a large number of quality six packs on me...
    B

Ps: someone with a sled that can travel a decent distance on grass/wetlands would get two dinner and gas money, of course...
    Edit for first-page photos of her:

Kiska is still missing as of Tuesday May 26 2009.

She responds to "vieni" (Italian for come), "sit", "down" (both with appropriate gestures), and of course to her name, Kiska.

The most distinguishable mark are her eyes. One blue, one brown with a blue wedge in it. And the large pink area on her nose. And the fact that she's SKINNY!

Yeah, she hated life with me:

Feel free to spread these as much as possible!
    Last edited by BurnHard; 05-28-2009 at 10:06 AM.

I am no help at all on this, but good luck, and let's hope people have the good taste to avoid a debate on bringing dogs in the backcountry until Kiska is safe.

Best of luck with that, hope your dog is OK. You might want to post this on summitpost and 14ers.com as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    I am no help at all on this
    Indeed

but good luck, and let's hope people have the good taste to avoid a debate on bringing dogs in the backcountry until Kiska is safe.
    the good taste you failed to show?

let's hope people have the good taste to avoid a debate on bringing dogs in the backcountry until Kiska is safe.
    Agreed... but, to put and end to the debate before the threadouchery starts: I admit it was entirely my fault in two ways.

1) I now know that I shouldn't bring the dog with me on seriously exposed lines. Dogs are ok on mellow backcountry stuf like Berthoud or VP, IMHO, but I realize I simply shouldn't have brought her on a gnarly tour. I just didn't think ahead enough.

2) After I did bring her, I should've paid more attention to her, but given #1), I had to focus on myself and skiing the exposed terrain and simply zoned out on the dog.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'll get her down tomorrow morning, no doubt about it.
    _B

You know I'd help you if I was in town!

I'll let you know if my various contacts can help you. I have several messages out.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I have no position one way or the other on the practice, just think it's lame for people to start whining while someone's beloved mutt is stuck in a bad situation.

Lone Star's level of reading comprehension is open for immediate debate, on the other hand.

I'm not quite sure how/where your dog is stuck, but is it at all possible to get rope with any sort of lasso/harness down to the dog? Maybe netting that's used for trapping or cargo? I've never tried to put a rope or net around a dog, and have no idea if such a thing would be possible, but if you're sketched about belaying yourself down maybe that would work? Probably not a workable idea, but if you could do it it would mean you could have an easier rescue, I guess.
    [quote][//quote]

Wouldn't be comfortable having the dog dangle off of something without a human strapping her in.

I'm not sketched at all about rappelling down actually, I was sketched earlier when I tried reaching her without rope nor belay... I just need someone to help me set up a good rappel from the ridge or the rocks above where she is.

I'll probably head up myself if nobody volunteers (which is understandable, on a Monday morning), I'm comfortable digging my own snow anchor and rappelling down, would just prefer someone to spot me.

Good luck with the pooch. Dogs are amazingly resilient creatures. She'll probably be waiting at the trailhead for you in the mornin.

I stopped bringing my mut with me on the steeper stuff especially this time of year when it might be hard frozen crust where he might not be able to stop or slow down.

Once again, good luck

I have no position one way or the other on the practice, just think it's lame for people to start whining while someone's beloved mutt is stuck in a bad situation.

Lone Star's level of reading comprehension is open for immediate debate, on the other hand.
    i've got a position that you're a fucking toolbag and you're the only one who has brought it up so far.

but if your season ended three months ago and you're just looking for any excitement to brighten your pathetic east coast existence... good work, dude!!! now STFU!!

I'm confused. Is Kiska stuck somewhere in that hairy cliff section right before you as a skier have to bank a hard left? Not much help, but wish you the best.

Damn dude that's tough. Can't offer anything but good thoughts in your direction.

Good luck with the rescue.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by NPG View Post
    I'm confused. Is Kiska stuck somewhere in that hairy cliff section right before you as a skier have to bank a hard left? Not much help, but wish you the best.
    Pretty much dead on, yup.
    Instead of banking a hard left, she went straight through the 1ft wide choke, slid a few feet down, and got stuck on the rock ledge below which cliffs out over a 300ft cliff and has no escape left or right...

Thanks, no worries, I'll get her out!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    ibut if your season ended three months ago and you're just looking for any excitement to brighten your pathetic east coast existence... good work, dude!!! now STFU!!
    I live in California, and my home resort is open for another month.

You're really on fire here, dipshit.

I went skiing today, didn't see you there- what, no skiing today? Why don't you go back to Texas, where being a semi-literate loudmouth idiot is considered a good thing? There's no skiing there, so it shouldn't make much of a difference to you.

Also, what's all this shit in your photobucket account? Probably not a good idea to keep work stuff in an easily accessed public place.

What up, B? It's Ben. Today's tour obviously fresh on the mind..

I like where this thread is going (well, minus the gratuitous maggot in-fighting -- STFU both of you).

Hopefully the attached pictures can aid in the DIY SAR proceedings..

The first picture is the moment of truth..when Kiska fails to make that hard left and instead descends into the pinch. The second is pretty self explanatory..but I'm sure you can speak more to what you were seeing from that gnarly little spine..

Jesus Christ, SSD, you're sure a fucking gun-jumping motherfucker. Get a clue.

It's pretty cool that the joint strike fighter development team lets LoneStar moonlight as an Alta employee in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser View Post
    It's pretty cool that the joint strike fighter development team lets LoneStar moonlight as an Alta employee in the winter.
    Totally.

I have a whole bunch more slides, if anyone wants to see 'em.

Hey man. Sorry to hear about Kiska. Unfortunately I'm pretty certain I must be at work in the morning. Call me if you want me to put you in touch with my friend on the Alpine Rescue Team. Might be someone to talk to about equipment/strategy/options etc.

Sweet pics Ben, thanks a lot! Especially the first one makes it easier to remember where exactly she is. Shouldn't be that difficult to get to her.

I've assembled a small crew of local friends, we're four so far, leaving Boulder by 2.30am. More people welcome, could turn out to be an interesting experience...

Let's hope Kiska will still be there!

dude that is AWFUL. im sorry to hear about Kiska and im thinking good vibes and thoughts man

"stupid early" for sure.. A crew of four is impressive though.. Grab the pup (don't forget her food) then go kill the rest of those lines. What about dropping in from where you booted back out?

good luck

wow BurnHard if I was around in colorado I would definitely go and help you. I am praying for Kiska's safe return.