Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I have an idea...

What about doing a traveling rod among the fishing mags? We take a fly rod and the first person must catch a fish with it and take a photo of the rod and fish, as well as a shot of the rod in the location you are (like with the landscape int he background). Then you send it on to the next guy, all the while we are tracking it in a thread here. We could even just do a rod tube and you use your own reel. Then at the end, when it eventually makes it back to the original owner, we would have one cool story about the rod. Maybe even feature it in a magazine or something (like a future issue of On The Fly... )

What do you think?

I'd be in, make it a 5 wt cause everybody has a 5 wt reel

can we also send a video cam around with it?
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

I was thinking either a 5wt or a 6wt.

I don't think sending a video cam would be very easy, that's why I think we should just take our own photos.

I have a 6wt that I could offer up, but it is a 9ft 2 piece and I don't have a tube for it (just a canvas case with reel compartment). It is also a cheapy.

Does someone have a 4 piece they could offer up for this?

Anyone have other suggestions?

I'm taking a one year break from On The Fly but would definitely do a story on this on the future. Don't have a 5wt to spare right now but I'd throw in a few bucks if someone wanted to buy one. Sounds like a fun idea.

Maybe a rod maker would pony up a rod for some good publicity, if this were to be written about.

also, 5wt limits salt water possibilities. A 6wt might allow for some school stripers...which is all I can catch anyway.
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

I have a 4 piece 9wt Sage that I would be willing to donate to the cause. Might be a bit heavy for the guys out west fishing for cuts and such. Just a thought. Although it would be heavy enough for the salt water guys to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Fun Ball View Post
    I have a 4 piece 9wt Sage that I would be willing to donate to the cause. Might be a bit heavy for the guys out west fishing for cuts and such. Just a thought. Although it would be heavy enough for the salt water guys to use it.
    There is prolly something in a deep hole of the south fork worthy of big stick like that. Maybe a massive bull trout in MT? I'll be happy to tie on a few 7"pike flies and see what happens.

Well that one is up for grabs if we get some more interest going. Otherwise, I can check with my dad and see what he's got built at home. If he's got nothing in stock I can see what I can get him to build up for the collective cause if the others think a 9wt is just too much.

Bet you could rollcast a cut with that.
    вы все все равно скоро сдохнете

Not a bad idea... I do have an 8/9 wt reel.

Hey, if we don't use this rod for the project, would you be looking to sell it otherwise?

I'd be up for this. I say go with a 6 wt.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Yeah, a 6wt is really the best option, considering all of the different places this thing would go.

I would be willing to sell it. It's a Sage Fli 9' 9wt. If we don't use it for the pass around rod I would be willing to part with it. Perhaps a trade if you have a reel you don't use.

On the 6wt thing. Anybody have any suggestions on a decent rod blank out there they would like to use? I talked to my dad and he's willing to build it for us but I would like a little info on what kind of blank. We could keep it reasonable and go with a Cabelas blank of some sort. Just a thought.

I have to agree that a 6wt is the best choice for coast to coast. Not the best for small streams, redfish, or big bows in AKPMland but evrypne should be able to use it for something.

If nobody has a spare they would part with for a season, I could likely find a used one for a good deal somewhere.

I would be willing to sell it. It's a Sage Fli 9' 9wt. If we don't use it for the pass around rod I would be willing to part with it. Perhaps a trade if you have a reel you don't use.

On the 6wt thing. Anybody have any suggestions on a decent rod blank out there they would like to use? I talked to my dad and he's willing to build it for us but I would like a little info on what kind of blank. We could keep it reasonable and go with a Cabelas blank of some sort. Just a thought.
    Thanks HFB - I'll think about it; I am just in the market for an 8wt or 9wt here eventually. I don't think I would have a reel to spare because I will be using it on what ever 8/9 I come up with. I'll PM you with more details at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty View Post
    Thanks HFB - I'll think about it; I am just in the market for an 8wt or 9wt here eventually. I don't think I would have a reel to spare because I will be using it on what ever 8/9 I come up with. I'll PM you with more details at some point.

No worries. Any reasonable offer would be considered. Cash or miscellaneous gear for trade.

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty View Post

I have a 6wt that I could offer up, but it is a 9ft 2 piece and I don't have a tube for it (just a canvas case with reel compartment). It is also a cheapy.

Does someone have a 4 piece they could offer up for this?

Anyone have other suggestions?
    Unfortunately I don't have a spare rod to loan, but do I have a spare tube for a 2 piece that I could send down to 72Twenty for his 6 wt if that works.

we could send around a silver sharpie with it and have everyone sign their name and location on the blank. At the end of the day the picture board and rod would be awsome.

great idea. dibs on the fall here in upsate NY.
    Harvest the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by igBand View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have a spare rod to loan, but do I have a spare tube for a 2 piece that I could send down to 72Twenty for his 6 wt if that works.
    Great idea... Now, this 6wt I have is a CHEAP rod, I hope you guys wouldn't mind. It is a Scientific Anglers 6wt - the basic rod they do in their starter kits for "trout". You can buy these full outfits at Wal-Mart for like $60. I think STP sells these rods by themselves for like $30. I got it free from my brother in law who won it in a raffle at his work. I have used it a bit, not a bad rod, but certainly a cheap one. I just keep it in the truck as a back-up rod.

It would be kinda like passing around rental skis to use, but at the same time, the actual rod isn't the point here. It is the experience. I am totally up for sending this rod out in igBand's tube.

I guess, in a sense it would be a cool story at the end of all of this to do it with a $30 rod. And I really like the idea of signing it with a silver sharpie with date, location, etc.

The only thing here to consider - a 4 piece might be better for shipping. Albright has some cheap rods under $50 that are 4 and 5 pieces, I think...

Looks like I may be able to grab a decent 6wt. Give me a few days 72.

schwerty;
    If your 6wt falls through, I have a couple of soft & slow, 9', 3 piece, 5wt. rods that I wrapped myself that I would be happy to offer up. Could even include a semi-worn out reel w/shitty line. This has a chance to turn into a lot of fun; biggest, longest, prettiest, oddest, coldest, warmest, etc.
    "and not when I come to die, discover that I have not lived"
    H.D. Thoreau

72Twenty - great point about shipping. A 2 piece might start to get expensive. If schwerty isn't able to score a 6 wt, though, I'll get the 2 piece rod tube down to you as soon as needed.

Schwerty - if you are able to get just the 6 wt and no tube, let me know...I also have a beater 4 piece tube that I can send out as well.

If I get the rod, (4pc), I'll get the tube.

Talked to my dad again tonight. He's willing to build a 9', 4 piece 6wt with a small fighting butt on it for free!! Something along the lines of a TFO. He's not into the fancy wraps, but it would be new, easily shippable, and everything nice and pretty to start with. Cork would be brand new and we could really see the wear on it after being passed around the country. I have some REC recoil guides to put on for the guys fishing in the cold (aka ME) so we don't break them. I like the idea of signing it. I could put a small fine point silver sharpie in with it.

So what says the masses? I could have it built, fished and probably sent out by mid March or so.

Talked to my dad again tonight. He's willing to build a 9', 4 piece 6wt with a small fighting butt on it for free!! Something along the lines of a TFO. He's not into the fancy wraps, but it would be new, easily shippable, and everything nice and pretty to start with. Cork would be brand new and we could really see the wear on it after being passed around the country. I have some REC recoil guides to put on for the guys fishing in the cold (aka ME) so we don't break them. I like the idea of signing it. I could put a small fine point silver sharpie in with it.

So what says the masses? I could have it built, fished and probably sent out by mid March or so.
    AWESOME.