Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Review: Atomic Bent Chetler

Sex: Male
    Married, no kids, 1 dog
    Ski as often as I can.
    Current quiver: Kuro, 187 XXL, 189 Scott Crusade
    Initial impression: Loose, busy, and short.
    Conditions tested: Dust on the worst ever.
    Acceleration: Very fast
    Short turns: Sweet and quick
    Long turns: Like you're being shot out of sling shot
    Straight line: Stable and not skiddish
    Chop: Felt like they had suspension
    Price: Wife won't shoot you
    Post test impression: Considering the conditions which was some nice snow on top of fucking brutal, I was really stoked and they left me googling them when I got home. I think they hit a home run with this ski. I will be putting my dukes on them, as I think this will be a rad slackcountry/ touring ski. I think they have great energy that some companies are missing the boat on. On the groomers they weren't exactly dope, but were great when I decided I was better off going SFD.
    Overall impression: ***** five snowflakes out of five. Just short of orgasmic.
    Ski's I have really loved: 186 Pro Rider, 190 Sumo, 188 B Squad, 103 Super Mojo, Kuro.

Awesome review. We all know rockered skis will ski pow well, can you comment more on how they handle variable stuff like tracked out pow and bumps, pow with hard spots, groomers, etc. This is on my short list of skis I'd like next year, but I need a ski with (almost) unshakable edge-hold, unless next year plans on being absolutely epic^2.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Awesome review. We all know rockered skis will ski pow well, can you comment more on how they handle variable stuff like tracked out pow and bumps, pow with hard spots, groomers, etc. This is on my short list of skis I'd like next year, but I need a ski with (almost) unshakable edge-hold, unless next year plans on being absolutely epic^2.
    We live in the same region, I would say that this would be a solid 1 of a 1-2 punch. Maybe this and a Crusade, Mantra 95ish type ski would be a great combo.
    We really don't have much snow up here to further the test. I skied it on 2-6" of sift on top of ice, and a groomer. That being said I wouldn't have got off it last year. Global warming, La Nina, El Nino, Pineapple Express, Big Wednesdays, work, and house shit being what they are there will never be a one quiver ski. That said this should handle everything this side of shit.

They reward aggressive skiing. They are a fun shape that is SUPER playful and wants to be skied traditionaly(front seat hands forward).
    They have become my go to ski for all bu tthe bigger days. Oh yeah, i'll echo jpow on the liveliness too.
    I live, I love, I slay. I am content.-conan the barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by jpow View Post
    ...Initial impression: Loose, busy, and short...
    Tell me more. Did the caffeine wear off? Did you find a sweet spot where they calmed down? Did that feeling remain but you got used to it and it caused no ill effects?
    Quote Originally Posted by bptempleton View Post
    tit ass balls. that's a better sig. or fucktardnutz. YOU MUST NOW CHOOSE!!!!

Thanks for the input. I guess if there's no new snow that day, I can use my Nordica Enforcers. They will be pretty thrashed by the end of this season. I want either this, or the new 190 Moment Bibby. I might like the longer, and a little more side cut. I wish I could demo these 2.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Jpow, thanks for the review.

Any words on the tail rocker? I'm thinking of picking up a set of these or JJ's for next year, I'm currently on some ANTs, and I want something better for trees and something that is more playful. It sounds like this ski would be that - I'm just worried about coming off of drops, and wheelieing out. Is there a tonne of tail rocker, or a little, akin to an Obsethed?

Tron - why not use these for big days? Aren't they pretty suitable for exactly that too? Maybe you have some 138s or Kuros, and I can understand that...but won't these be just a hair under those in performance?

I need to demo a pair of these.

Graham
    I haven't skied the JJ.
    I was thinking that since Bentchetler and Auclair have spent sometime together that this ski must be quite similar, maybe better than the JJ. Cause I would pimp my bro's shit and 1 up him if I could. Everyone you talk to that's on JJ throws serious 5 snowflake stoke for them, so I don't think you can go wrong either way.
    This ski has left me rethinking my quiver, I think it is more playful than the Kuro. The Kuro might be more ski-able in all conditions, but I haven't skied it in bottomless pow since December. (That's enough to shave, have sex, wash the car, bath the dog, clean the house, and go to Home Depot, Walmart and Costco all in the same day.) I digressed. It might have me putting some stuff for sale. I am thinking BC/ Stunt/ Crusade for a quiv, which kind of leaves a hole for the big day (we have a 3 ski policy in my house.)
    Conditions+being old don't allow for drops right now. I did hit a little 6 footer and landed on some gnar that I didn't think was there, and it stomped and kept my jibs in; so needless to stay I was stoked. Go look at the shape and that will ease any wheelie feeling that you might have.
    Final thoughts, add a Duke and tour/ slackcountry/ cat ski/ resort 3"-24" and you have your chicken dinner. If you're under 200 pounds this ski will leave you wanting to ski it more.
    Last edited by jpow; 02-15-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snowful View Post
    Tell me more. Did the caffeine wear off? Did you find a sweet spot where they calmed down? Did that feeling remain but you got used to it and it caused no ill effects?
    When I flexed them I thought they were loose, when I looked at them it took a while to digest everything going on, (I like my ski's with simple surf inspired graphics), and they are a 183. My initial impression was just that; look at them and flex them.
    They were a pretty easy ski to find the sweet spot on. It reminded me of hockey and just hopping onto a guys line and having chemistry immediately. By that I mean just knowing exactly where each other was going to be. I think this ski allows you to anticipate what's going on down the line b/c it just inspires confidence from the first turn.

are they beta like the last big daddies or wood like the new atlas?

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    are they beta like the last big daddies or wood like the new atlas?
    Wood... as is the whole Freeride line-up for 09/10. Bent Cheitler is actually next years ski, just Atomic did a limited release to US late last fall. Possibly will be available in greater quantities sometime in the spring (also in Yurp).
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

useful, thanks! this brings to my next obvious question: what about the weight? daddies used to be supa-light....

and, BTW, the new topsheets are rad, but amer clearly enrolled some artist from line, 'cuz many 09-10 skies (atlas, eg) are line-ishy....

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    useful, thanks! this brings to my next obvious question: what about the weight? daddies used to be supa-light....

and, BTW, the new topsheets are rad, but amer clearly enrolled some artist from line, 'cuz many 09-10 skies (atlas, eg) are line-ishy....
    Me thinks the skis will be heavier (duh)... And I'm still angry at 'tomic for ditching the old 107mm waisted BD.

I can try to persuade some of the peeps working at Amer to spill the beans on ski weights. And I can test some of the stuff on the 26th.

And yeah, some of the graphics are nice... But at least the Cheitler gives me zeasures... Which is too bad, as it should make a nice ski for us small peeps (provided it ain't too heavy).
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

I would be really interested to see how this stacks up to the JJ (which I have skied) and the S7 (which I have yet to ski)

Sick review!
    does anyone know where i can get a pair (or if anyone is willing to sell)?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpental Rocks View Post
    Sick review!
    does anyone know where i can get a pair (or if anyone is willing to sell)?
    Stapleton Sports has a pair. Don't know what the price is.
    970-925-9169

Initial impression: Loose, busy, and short.
    I agree...in a good way.

Quite strange to admit that skiing a 123mm waisted ski on a small hill (soft groomers and little park hit) can be so much fun!

Playful and jibby skis for sure.

Longer review here
    "Average summit heights are around 1000m to 1200m but on the high glaciers of the main Lyngen Peninsula there are summits over 1400m with Jiehkkevarri being the highest at 1834m above sea level."

I saw a pair in Andermatt...anyone knows where i could fondle them anywhere in Uri or Ticino?
    Always Fight Gravity

Just had my first day on the BentChetlers, fucking love them!
    I'm sure they will be great in pow, waiting for a storm, for now skied them on icy groomers in the morning, slushy bumps in the afternoon, and lots of park.
    Mounted 3cm back from center.

Edges pretty good on the hardpack, feels shorter of course, but holds well for the width and is smooth going fast. Not a big sidecut, less than a JJ, makes nice long turns.
    Didn't feel that good on icy bumps in the morning, but once they softened up they killed it. Got in some slush in the trees in the afternoon and charged through a lot faster than I expect I would have on any of my other skis. Weight forward, driving through slush, making turns in variable slush on a dime with no effort.
    Skied in the park most of the day, skis light, balanced and stable. Felt very stable going fast landing jumps. No problems landing backseat, no wheeling or washing out.

Pray for snow so I can try them out in pow!

Update: Got them in some fresh snow today, and Damn! This is the first rockered ski I've skied, so I can't compare them to others, but amazing in pow and post-pow skier chop. Only 5" fresh, but could float plenty on it. And being able to ski the soft stuff with weight forward made the occassional unexpected crusty spot no problem at all. Charged full speed through chop no problem. Skiing forward and aggressive on them they just kill it. Even played around switch a little, really cool how the tails don't sink. Almost made everything too easy.

Tip Rocker

Tail Rocker
    Last edited by Machete; 03-23-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Nice review. I have not seen to much on these, so it is good to hear a first hand account.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I'm 5'6" @140lbs, would this skis be too long for myself?
    I plan on using them for touring.

Chetlers are reasonably light for their size (2230g/ski per my postage scale), with a soft-medium flex, and fairly large camber underfoot. I'm guessing that they'd tour pretty well for you if you are going to do short side-country excursions and you like a long ski. They run pretty true to size.

can anyone compare these to HB's? Interesting ski. I am surprised to see camber on these. anyone know the amount of rocker? they look about as much as a HB 20/40. Also, where did you mount?
    Last edited by BoatBound; 05-08-2009 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoatBound View Post
    can anyone compare these to HB's? Interesting ski. I am surprised to see camber on these. anyone know the amount of rocker? they look about as much as a HB 20/40. Also, where did you mount?
    Bump for the same question, I am wondering also since these have camber and the hb's do not...

Chetlers have "Pro Rocker 20" which I'm guessing means 20mm of rocker (over what length, I don't know, but can measure). I'd say less rocker overall than a 179cm HB and a longer effective edge, but I've not skied or looked very closely at HBs.

I mounted my HB's at -1cm from "traditional" and they skied fine for all-mountain and were easy to ski switch. "Traditional" mounting is 7cm back from core-center.

I've not skied a lot of rockered skis, but I get the feeling that a little camber underfoot does not detract from soft snow performance on an ski with significant rocker.

I'll post a more thorough review soon.
    Last edited by critical-motion; 05-12-2009 at 02:29 PM.