Talking TR: Over the Horizon, a Black and White Exploration.

For some time now, I've been vaguely aware of the existence of vast swath of tree skiing lurking within striking distance of Burlington. This forest, often talked about in hushed tones by crusty, bearded, shifty-eyed, denizens of the glades, was rumored to be home to the most well spaced, full grown trees, and to hold snow far longer than any other stash. A veritable Shangra-La of eastern skiing.

The thing about The Valhalla Woods (their real name must never be revealed), is that they'd always been frustratingly far over the horizon. As with many things in life though, finding them only required faith in ourselves and a willingness to commit to the unknown in the hopes of making the world a smaller place.

So, two days ago, Gpetrics and myself, having grown bored with the lines we know, and seeking the spice of adventure, decided it was time to close our eyes, pinch our noses, and dive head first into the deep end.

We arrived at the trail head early the next morning, slapped on skins, and immediately started to push through an almost impenetrable jungle of suckers, face whippers, stunted spruce and all the other tools of defense available to the forest. About thirty minutes later, we emerged on the other side. The snow was deeper, the sun brighter, and the air crisper.

Soon we began to see what had for so long been just a rumor:

Unable to contain ourselves any longer, we switched to ski mode and set off to explore our very own unpopulated paradise.

After pushing as far as we could, we became disorientated in low angle woods.

A nervous fear took hold and we decided to set a bearing to the known direction of a road. After hours of struggle through the dense border of The Valhalla woods, we were unceremoniously plopped by the side of the highway, far from where we began our adventure.

Greg attempting a self rescue:

I vowed never to endure that struggle again.

After two nights filled with lusty dreams of untracked tree runs however, the sirens song of The Valhalla woods once again pulled me back into the unknown. This time, I brought along a more fearless companion, a survivor of many a doomed expedition into the Vermont wilderness, aataylor, to help ensure success.

Seemingly unafraid at first, aataylor soon found himself, like gpetrics and I only days earlier, uncertain of his location and concerned about ever returning to the real world in this lifetime. He, a better man than greg or I, mustered all his courage, put on a stiff upper lip, and bravely turned to meet his fate.

Allen's courage was all it took, this time were able to enter and exit The Valhalla Woods unscathed, and aware of our location the entire time. The rest of the day was spent getting comfortable in new home.

Finding The Valhalla woods has been one of my proudest skiing experiences yet, you'll be seeing lots more photos from them in the near future.

Hope you enjoyed, this TR was a lot more work than most of the others,

Sam

This shot=$
    Love the eastern hardwood forest stoke.

I had to 'go advanced' to write this reply.

Nice report Sam, I thoroughly enjoyed the writing.

Good to see G is still sporting the 'Chester the Molester' stache.

I will give my first born, and left kidney for directions.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I too have heard of these mythical type woods but believed they didn't actually exist. So so jealous that you found them.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

RESPECT

take me there sometime. i'll put a blindfold on for the ride in, i swear.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    I will give my first born, and left kidney for directions.
    What sort if incentive is that? We do however accept check, cash, and paypal. Please call our home office at 100 samthaman plaza for an updated rate sheet.
    Last edited by allenataylor; 02-05-2009 at 09:14 PM.
    Alcohol Caffeine Taurine Hybrid
    If it can be done it can be won

Without a chainsaw silviculture is just a theory

na, but seriously, i want to ski that.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

How much vert did you get for your troubles?
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

vermont rules.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Thumbs up KICK ASS POST! PS

Hope you enjoyed, this TR was a lot more work than most of the others...

Quote Originally Posted by samthaman View Post
    For some time now, I've been vaguely aware of the existence of vast swath of tree skiing lurking within striking distance of Burlington. This forest, often talked about in hushed tones by crusty, bearded, shifty-eyed, denizens of the glades, was rumored to be home to the most well spaced, full grown trees, and to hold snow far longer than any other stash. A veritable Shangra-La of eastern skiing.

The thing about The Valhalla Woods (their real name must never be revealed), is that they'd always been frustratingly far over the horizon. As with many things in life though, finding them only required faith in ourselves and a willingness to commit to the unknown in the hopes of making the world a smaller place.

So, two days ago, Gpetrics and myself, having grown bored with the lines we know, and seeking the spice of adventure, decided it was time to close our eyes, pinch our noses, and dive head first into the deep end.

We arrived at the trail head early the next morning, slapped on skins, and immediately started to push through an almost impenetrable jungle of suckers, face whippers, stunted spruce and all the other tools of defense available to the forest. About thirty minutes later, we emerged on the other side. The snow was deeper, the sun brighter, and the air crisper.

Soon we began to see what had for so long been just a rumor:

Unable to contain ourselves any longer, we switched to ski mode and set off to explore our very own unpopulated paradise.

A nervous fear took hold and we decided to set a bearing to the known direction of a road. After hours of struggle through the dense border of The Valhalla woods, we were unceremoniously plopped by the side of the highway, far from where we began our adventure.

Greg attempting a self rescue:

I vowed never to endure that struggle again.

After two nights filled with lusty dreams of untracked tree runs however, the sirens song of The Valhalla woods once again pulled me back into the unknown. This time, I brought along a more fearless companion, a survivor of many a doomed expedition into the Vermont wilderness, aataylor, to help ensure success.

Seemingly unafraid at first, aataylor soon found himself, like gpetrics and I only days earlier, uncertain of his location and concerned about ever returning to the real world in this lifetime. He, a better man than greg or I, mustered all his courage, put on a stiff upper lip, and bravely turned to meet his fate.

Allen's courage was all it took, this time were able to enter and exit The Valhalla Woods unscathed, and aware of our location the entire time. The rest of the day was spent getting comfortable in new home.

Finding The Valhalla woods has been one of my proudest skiing experiences yet, you'll be seeing lots more photos from them in the near future.

Hope you enjoyed, this TR was a lot more work than most of the others,

Sam
    OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post

This shot=$
    I agree!

Nice TR!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

That's just great Sam. Well done man!

Quote Originally Posted by samthaman View Post

Sam
    Did you run into Bear Gryllis eating the stomach of a mountain goat back there?

I could tell this was a fun trip by the sh*t eatting grins when I picked you hitch hikers up.

That's just too good to be true. You guys fucking kill it.
    "Why Pinto?"

very nice TR!
    the B+W pics are great...and you guys are brave...very glad the TR didn't have to include accounts of survival cannibalism, like those soccer players in the andes back in the 70s...so awkward to explain that stuff when returning to civilization

like this well-timed pic too
    Last edited by buckethead; 02-06-2009 at 09:39 AM.

Welcome to the party my brother. So......many.......gladeswithnoliftserve.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Welcome to the party my brother. So......many.......gladeswithnoliftserve.
    lol, then you should be putting up more pictures

Quote Originally Posted by K_C View Post
    Did you run into Bear Gryllis eating the stomach of a mountain goat back there?

I could tell this was a fun trip by the sh*t eatting grins when I picked you hitch hikers up.
    i have to say sam... K_C definitely deserves a mention in this dramatic TR

hmm if she picked you up it must not be too far from your residence.
    hmmm

a day long expedition of rt 2 for tracks may commence