I have a new BFF...

and its name is megawatt. My firts day out on them today and I skied the mankiest of mank. Ended up with face shots in 20 cms of soup and still had legs when everyone else was complaining. They fucking rail on groomers too. Can't even feel 10 ft airs. Pretty sucky in the bumps, but not so bad when you air through. Megawatt is my new do everything utility ski.

Just looked them up on the website. (After googling to see what BFF meant.) Very impressive looking sticks.

So when did BD get all modern and everything with their ski design? Because I remember their skis as being more aimed at wool wearers and granola crunchers.

I skied my first day on the Lotus 120's. Unreal, and a legit touring ski.

I was going to look for them when you mentioned the name so I would know what I was looking for when we meet up, those are almighty big sticks. I assume you got the 188's?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    Just looked them up on the website. (After googling to see what BFF meant.) Very impressive looking sticks.

So when did BD get all modern and everything with their ski design? Because I remember their skis as being more aimed at wool wearers and granola crunchers.
    considering the chainsaw graphics, I'd say the whole hippy deal is out the window. I slapped some dukes on em so they're going to be my new do all ski. My skins are cut for XXL's so they will be a bit small.... wait, did I just say that?

I skied a pair of Megawatts over Christmas and I must concur...these are some fun skis. Actually, they almost made it all feel too easy. Soft and responsive in the pow, yet floaty and solid through/over crud. While they weren't all that responsive on the groomers, they were a solid fast ride.

Now, this is the first fat ski I've ever skied (my current skis are only 88mm), so I really don't have much to compare these skis to... All I know is that I felt like I was skiing like bad-ass on them.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    considering the chainsaw graphics, I'd say the whole hippy deal is out the window. I slapped some dukes on em so they're going to be my new do all ski. ?
    I'm rocking the same rig. I like it.

Tech Talk non-JONG.

My skins are cut for XXL's so they will be a bit small.... wait, did I just say that?
    You might have trouble with those skins. I stretched my Gotama's skins over my Megawatts the first time out and got a lot of slippage. Granted it was a little icy but I still think it's best to get some 140mm Ascensions for the BDs.

Oh, and see Bcar's Megawatt review thread for more ravings about these bad boys.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=146564
    If you've never seen an elephant ski, you've never been on acid.

- Eddie Izzard

not where the most snow was last night...
    Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    I'm rocking the same rig. I like it.
    +2 the megaduke is my go to kill'em all ski like my SOCOM 16 is my go to kill'em all rifle
    When seconds count...ski patrol, SAR or the cops are only minutes away...

If they call it Tourist Season, why cant we shoot them?

All I can say is that since I saw these skis, I am dying to try them out. I like what I am hearing here. How do they do on the uphill?
    Fresh Tracks are the ultimate graffitti.
    Schmear

Set forth the pattern to succeed.
    Sam Kavanagh

Friends of Tuckerman Ravine

Was hoping to see someone actually riding Liberty BFFs

One of our newest projects has been an innovative, progressive powder ski. We created a ski we thought may break open new possibilities for powder skiing. The ski, codename: BFF, became a reality. Recently Liberty team rider David Lesh took the skis out for a test and wrote in with a few comments.

"Hey guys, so I rode those BFF's all day today at Keystone. REALLY SICK! I skied some pow and even some park and hit the jump line and everything. they were scary for the first few runs, but I got used to them after about half the day. You can carve really easy with them, and they ski really well for being so big. I even did some switch carving with them!
    At first I thought they would have to remain a joke, but when i got used to them, they were really sick. i think I'm going to ski them a bunch from now on, especially in the pow. Bring em out on the sled and such....
    I got a lot of questions and ghasps from people today, everyone was real stoked on them, great marketing tool for sure!!
    talk to you soon, and thanks again for the big sticks!"

-Lesh
    __________________________________________________ _
    "Son, when you participate in sporting events, its not whether you win or loose, its how drunk you get." - Homer Simpson

Before you go buying skins for these bad boys I have something that might work really well on them.

I'll bring them up on Saturday.

and its name is megawatt. My firts day out on them today and I skied the mankiest of mank. Ended up with face shots in 20 cms of soup and still had legs when everyone else was complaining. They fucking rail on groomers too. Can't even feel 10 ft airs. Pretty sucky in the bumps, but not so bad when you air through. Megawatt is my new do everything utility ski.
    done with dynastar?

not where the most snow was last night...
    Quote Originally Posted by H-man View Post
    All I can say is that since I saw these skis, I am dying to try them out. I like what I am hearing here. How do they do on the uphill?
    They actually did ok, its a little weird having the tip not really touching the snow due to the early rise, fo sure loose a bit of skin contact to the snow unless you're cutting trail/deep snow. I was also using my mantra skins on them. heavy with the dukes, but ive used worse!
    When seconds count...ski patrol, SAR or the cops are only minutes away...

If they call it Tourist Season, why cant we shoot them?

i'll chime in with my commentary on the megaduke setup...

we've been getting hammered with snow around these parts as of late (big mountain, mt), so i've been skiing in either boot-deep or cut-up conditions. my rig for most of last season was the atomic pow plus with freerides, and i liked that setup because it felt stable and liked to go fast. i'm over six feet, and probably around 220 lbs or somesuch. i consider myself to be a good skier and like to go fast, but i'm no rockstar.

our season arrived a bit late, but by mid-december things on big mountain were shaping up nicely. the boards did take a few hits from either roots or exposed rocks, and held up admirably. no durability issues or problems just yet. i've been skiing the megaduke setup almost exclusively, and have enjoyed them in almost all conditions. these boards make riding more fun. they've done just fine with traverses and groomers. i've found it much easier lay them over on an edge and let the ski do it's business than i ever had with the pow plus. yes, i did feel like a moron earlier in the season before things really got soft and deep... but it was fun to be playing with the new toys.

early mornings, when the snow is more untouched, the megaduke has really been an all-star. quick turns are easily initiated/linked with a feeling almost like pivoting. i don't find myself muscling the skis nearly as much as i used to feel like i had to while piloting the pow plus through quick turns or tighter trees. i'm sure there is a placebo effect or whatever, but the megaduke just seems a lot more fun to ride than the older setup. these skis make a bit of snow feel like a lot of snow, just because they have the potential to be quite surfy.

and i like how the megadukes feel comfortable with speed, and various sizes of turns. once things get a bit tracked out, and i'm plowing through chunky or thicker snow, my main concern has become a speed limit. haven't really found a speed limit! i find myself moving so much more quickly through those afternoon conditions than what used to be a comfortable speed limit. during the holiday season i was worried that i would plow into or through a slower-moving touron. arcing larger turns through the mank with the megadukes feels much more secure and stable than on my pow plus setup.

there haven't yet been any issues with the dukes. they feel secure and solid. haven't had a chance to skin with them yet, because i'm hesitant to plunk down the cash for another set of skins. might have to adapt the skins from my 180 pow plus setup, if that'll be possible. anyhow, i like the sense of being locked-on to the ski. with the freerides, there was always a bit of play and a feeling that on hard snow i had to over-exaggerate movements in order to get the ski to respond. with the megaduke, power transmission is much more direct.

basically, so far things have been great. i'm a happy camper and have been singing the praises of the megawatts and the dukes. now if only i could find out who it was at the sportsman ski haus that was asking for change??? i owe somebody for hooking me up with the mount/tune.
    “Money has never been my god — never.” - The Chief

Powder11 , do you have any more comments on the ski after a few more days on them ?

^not much other than probably going with a 2 degree base bevel to make a smoother edge transfer when its steeper. Incredible ski in the trees and popping around tight spots, but I found the speed limit in the wide open spaces, so I'd like to see this ski a little longer in the future. I skied a pair 195 S7's for a run and noticed greater stability at speed on steeps in the sense of not having to constantly dial in the sweet spot. I can see the future of rocker tip skis being much longer than what's currently being made. I'm talking 200cm +

I noticed this on my 186 Lhasa's, they seem to want to turn like they were 160cm unless I really ride them easy, rolling them over like my 179 Fats and they just snap into a turn. Looking forward to how the 196's compare.

I'd like to see this ski a little longer in the future. I can see the future of rocker tip skis being much longer than what's currently being made. I'm talking 200cm +
    Agree 100%