Arrow REVIEW: Moment Comi (stiff version)

Skis: Moment Comi mounted with 916s 1.5cm behind the line (or 8.5cm from chord center), 186cm length, 160-136-145, 35m radius, 150cm effective edge, 3cm of camber, flex of 7 on Marshal's scale

Skier: 5/10, 215lbs, boots = Scarpa Typhoon

Similar skis I've been on: Moment Comi-Kazi, 200 DPS 120

Locations/conditions: light to slightly less light powder / boot to knee deep / crud, fresh snow, and groomers at Vail over 2.5 days

Summary: my new favorite ski

I was pretty apprehensive at first about this ski considering the stiffness and amount of camber. It's hard to imagine a powder ski being good with 3cm of camber considering all flat/reverse options out there, but I'm very stoked on powder performance with the Comi and couldn't be happier (in fact, I'm putting my Comi-Kazi's up for sale soon). Even while being pretty stiff, the tips plane rather easily at moderate speeds and there's no tip dive whatsover. You can either drive your tips hard or lay off, widen the stance, and smear 'em.

Once things get tracked out, the Comi excels with it's stiffness and girth so there's no need to swap skis in the afternoon on a pow day. They slice right through the crud as if it was fresh. Very stable at high speeds. And yes, you can carve with them if you so choose to. I had no trouble in tight spots and they were fairly easy to maneuver when quick decisions were needed. No issues on hardpack but they did cause discomfort on long, flat traverses (more so than any other ski I've been on). That's probably the only downside so far in addition to being heavy (stock version is 10lbs so I imagine these are closer to 11).

Regarding the mount, I eat too many twinkies so I figured -1.5cm from the line would be good bet. I also received that recommendation from someone who's taller/bigger than me. For lighter guys, on the line should be perfect.

Pros: wayyyy fun .... like it's Christmas day and you just received Sega with '95 NHL (or was it '94 that kicked ass??), great in powder (136mm underfoot will do that from time to time), post-pow conditions are made super easy, no speed limit, Muhammad Ali would be impressed, very quick and easy to swing around in tights spots

Cons: too heavy for touring, your friends might steal them from you, you were on the Price is Right years ago and these weren't included in the Showcase Showdown

Some video stoke:

Last edited by NPG; 05-13-2009 at 09:36 AM.

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Pappagiorgio View Post
    Cons: too heavy for touring
    This is too bad, really. I mounted mine with Dukes, and am kind of bummed with how heavy they are... looking at trying them out, tomorrow, if all goes well.
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

as always a good review. plus the pov was a nice bonus

And if people want the Comi-Kazi's, check here for the sale.

Whats the difference in flex compared to the stock version? I noticed the stock version tails are a bit stiff, and it's more of a medium flex in the mid.

Quote Originally Posted by steeplechamp View Post
    Whats the difference in flex compared to the stock version? I noticed the stock version tails are a bit stiff, and it's more of a medium flex in the mid.
    I'm not sure, but hopefully someone can chime in with a comparison. My only time on a regular Comi (in spring snow no less) was almost two years ago and it was their first pair which was very used and abused. While these are plenty stiff, I did notice the tip plane easily when cruising at a moderate rate, and you don't need to go super fast for the ski to come alive.

I recently got the comi and was curious. I still have yet to mount them up and am glad you gave them such a great review.

Here’s my two-cents…

Skier: Average Intermediate, 170 lbs., 5’9”

Mounted with: Marker Dukes, 1.0 cm behind the line, ridden on Garmont Shamans (130 flex)

Snow conditions: Idaho Heavy Powder, tracked powder, wind-blown, choppy crud

One-word review: Sickity-Caw

Two-word review: Sickity-Caw and Loose (this is from my kayaking background… that is, the ski was very loose and spinny on cat-tracks)

Three-word review: Sickity-Caw and Loose and Big

Synopsis: This ski gave me a real session at the gym, today. Yes, I have the stiff versions, just like Nicky Pops. I’m happy with the mounting point (1.0 cm behind the line). Packed cat-tracks and traverses were a little cumbersome. More float than any other ski I’ve been on. I’m not an amazing skier, and I’m a bit on the smaller side, so I really felt like I had to put a lot of “driving” into the turns. This ski is going to suit me much better midway through the season. My legs were really working to stay on top of them. I’m sure it depends on the skier’s ability, but I think the weight range on these guys bottoms out at 155-160 lbs. Guys that are around the 200 lb. mark, and maybe a little taller would probably be able to have a lot of fun with these.

Pros: Excellent float, lively in mixed conditions, probably a great hucking ski, very “fun…”

Cons: I found myself doing the cowboy-bow-legged straddle on account of their girth, they were a little disconcerting on the packed cat-tracks, and yes, they’re pretty heavy for touring.
    Last edited by ruletherock; 12-22-2008 at 04:46 PM.

Sweet dude! Glad you're stoke on them.

Nice tree footage.

That dude in that bright green jacket in front of you in the trees in your video is super rad looking...

Good non-tech review! I concur these things will carve a groomer for sure if you have the leg power to do it. They are amazing crud busters, too.

Another 2 cents...

Stiffies as well.
    Mounted with 914s on the line.
    Skier: 6' 1", 170lbs.
    Boots: Salomon XWave 10
    Skillz: Like to go fast, turn little and jump off things.

Ski's I've been on: 04-05 190 Gotama, Wizard 190 Explosives, 183 SuperMojo 103, 189 K2 Hellbent, 186 Head Mojo 90, 184 FatyPus DSender...
    Current Quiver: 186 Moment Bibby Pro (review coming soon & thanks WhiteRoom Guardian), 185 Praxis Powder boards, 184 Volkl Mantra & these bad boys.

Locations/conditions: light dusting to 2'ish feet blower, days old crud & the occasional groomer over 4 days at Vail.

Summary: I'm now a hero, bow down before me. Best non-rockered pow ski I've had the pleasure of riding.

As stated in above posts, I was also apprehensive about purchasing this ski. I didn't need another fat ski, especially a "race stock" uber fatty. However, I lack any sort of willpower in regards to skis, so here is my review.

My first day on them was last Wednesday when Vail reported 10" new. I was a bit concerned with the stiffness on a day where the pockets would be a few feet deep, but after one run, I was giggling like a little schoolgirl. God this ski is fun. For hand flexing as stiff as it does, this ski turns very quickly, planes out fairly nicely at speed, and crushes anything in its way. This is an amazing powder stick, especially in a place like Vail that gets tracked out quickly. I can't say I was riding "on top" of the snow much, but I prefer to ski "in" the snow if that makes sense. Easy initiation with all radius of turns from tight trees to wide open GS. This ski is Money.

Chop/crud: I haven't been on a ski this sure-footed in quit some time. You have to pay attention, but they will go where you point them without fear of being knocked off line. Easy to scrub speed, and again, will just motor anywhere. As fast as you or your legs are willing to go.

Hucking: These ease into powder like an old man into a hot bath. I didn't do too many drops yet as I still don't trust the depth, but the few 10-15' drops I did were beautiful, cheating really. I'll chalk that up to the 136 waist. Spun off a few cornices (slowly), about the only time weight was a factor for me.

I didn't really have many issues with cat-tracks and whatnot; no real "hooking" to speak of. Skating wasn't fun, but not a real chore either.

Pros: Float, agility, drops, zero deflection, scares women and small children. bomber bases. I felt like this ski made me better.

Cons: Obviously not a groomer ski. Will rail at speed, but what do you expect in a ski w/ 136 waist? A bit heavy for touring. I do notice some decent top sheet gouges after only 4 days.

Nick P - I think I saw you a few weeks back coming out of Mongolia? We chatted briefly about the Bibby Pro I was riding. Wanted to pick you brain a bit more, but had to get into the office. I'd love to catch some turns with you sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by ClimbhighCo View Post
    Nick P - I think I saw you a few weeks back coming out of Mongolia? We chatted briefly about the Bibby Pro I was riding. Wanted to pick you brain a bit more, but had to get into the office. I'd love to catch some turns with you sometime.
    So that was you on the traverse back to the lift? Figured it would be somewhere around here.

Next time I'm in town, I'll shoot you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    That dude in that bright green jacket in front of you in the trees in your video is super rad looking...
    Ladies, are you paying attention?
    Last edited by Nick Pappagiorgio; 12-22-2008 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steeplechamp View Post
    I have the stiffs, and (by hand flexing) stock comi owner Steven Dallas thinks the difference is about two clicks on Marshal's scale. All my skiing experience prior to the comis was on much softer skis, and the stiffness didn't bother me at all. The only time I really noticed it was if I was in the backseat on a landing -- there is no forgiveness and the skis start taking off without you. So just land how you're supposed to damnit!

Skier: 6' 1", 190 lb
    Setup: Mounted on the line with Vist 816s (hey, I like 'em)

I concur with all the positive things already said. I love these things. They want to go fast-fast-fast when you're in the chopped up snow and the only thing stopping you is your personal speed limit. In powder (like the 14" at Mammoth yesterday) I like how you can either dive the tips down into the snow a bit to get faceshots, or keep them on top and make schmeary-carve (schmarve?) turns. Pick your pleasure.

These things fucking rule.

Took the stiff comi's out for another day of busting through consolidated crud, bumps (yikes), and heavy tracked pow. I've learned to love them even more, given that I've found the secret to enjoying them on the groomers (Read: Don't carve, just smear!). It was especially enjoyable just side-sliding fifty feet into the lift lines.

Here's a real bonus: I seem to have been endowed with insta-street-cred and steeze points with the youngsters, as well. As we dropped off a cat track, some guy that we flew by said, "There goes the youngsters." Even the young lady liftie was impressed with it's size...

A long-time lurker here on TGR, username "Riff," took them for one run and absolutely fell in love with them. He thought the flex was perfect and was tickled that they busted through everything... maybe he'll chime in to give us his thoughts... paging Riff?

My review on ze stiff comies:

Rider: sucky 5'9 155 lbs telewanker that occasionally locks his heels.
    Terrain: Utah, from a bit before Xmas to around New Years eve 2008.
    Snow: groomed runs, to pow to chop and some chalk.
    Mount: Mounted 'em around 1.5cm behind the mark with NTNs, which I'm still getting to used to... Felt a tad too forward, luckily the binders allowed me to move the bootcenter an additional 1cm behind. So for my small feet (BSl 295mm), 2.5cm back from the mark seemed about spot on.

So, the short recap is that these skis rock... As long as the snow stays constant. In uncut pow, there float and just kill it. Same goes for groomers (albeit, gettin' them on edge takes a while, but once there, they rail... as long as you have the power and mass/speed to keep 'em there).

When it's bumpy or cut-up, well I simply don't have the power nor mass to make 'em cut through the unevenness... Might be the big stiff tip that makes it even more obvious. Sure, they are still manageable, if I ski like a 95 year old granny... but where's the fun in that.

I came to the conclusion pretty quickly, that for telewankin' and me, these skis were not the right choice.

So, when I got home, I mounted Dukes on 'em. I seem to recall, I'm like 1.5cm back from the mark now.

Haven't had a change to ski 'em in pow or cutup yet (alpine mounted), but based on how they performed with teles... well, I know they'll deliver. For groomers and soft moguls and all that crap generally found on mid western molehills... Well, they perform about flawlessly... as long as doing SG turns is ones idea of skiing such hills. I do still occasionally get thrown around from really big piles of snow (lack of mass, power or speed), but mainly when I forget to really drive 'em.

A bit heavy for touring, but I plan on mostly using these for lift-assisted lines anyway... so the weight doesn't matter that much.

Short conclusion... Me likey, and these will be my to-go alpine(/at) skis... just need to DIY some split-skins on 'em, a'la Colltex offerings.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

Yeah

As Ruletherock says, I got to play on his commies for a lap a while back. I spend the majority of my time on Bros and Scratches in a 188. I'm 195, 5'10". I was not really digging the chopped up pow and bumps on my Scratches, but on the Moments I couldn't even tell. The width did take some getting used to, but overall the skis worked really well for their tremendous size. They absolutely destroyed everything they were pointed at, and made off trail conditions ridiculously entertaining. The stiffness wasn't intrusive at all, just made them crush anything in their path. I agree with everyone else here about the weight, I probably wouldn't want to tour on these unless I could have a yak carry the skis. As I told Rule, if I was at a different mountain this year I would sell a kayak and a bike and whatever else it took to get a pair of these things. Yeah, this isn't a very objective review but I gave them back after one lap so I wouldn't get to attached.
    Gravity always wins...