Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Explosiv Vintages

I think I have seen a lineup of all vintages of the legendary Explosiv a while ago.

Can anyone point me in the direction... have tried searching all over the interweb.

If this does not exist, we should try to compile a list to honor this workhorse

(just aquired a pair of the old yellow Explosivs, and wondered how old they are...)

Powder Mag had an article on them a few years back...RIP Explosiv

I think the lineage went someting like:

Original version - Neon Yellow (mid 90's)
    Explosiv 2 - Blue (said Explosiv 2 on them)
    Explosiv 3 - Sort of purple (I think said Explosiv 3 on them)
    VExplosiv - Slight twin, had a somewhat wizard like topsheet
    Wizard - More of a twin and...wizard topsheet
    Budda - Maroon with budda

Maybe someone else recalls better but this is close...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
    Powder Mag had an article on them a few years back...RIP Explosiv

I think the lineage went someting like:

Original version - Neon Yellow (mid 90's)
    Explosiv 2 - Blue (said Explosiv 2 on them)
    Explosiv 3 - Sort of purple (I think said Explosiv 3 on them)
    VExplosiv - Slight twin, had a somewhat wizard like topsheet
    Wizard - More of a twin and...wizard topsheet
    Budda - Maroon with budda

Maybe someone else recalls better but this is close...
    The V-Ex and wizard models are the same shape and same semi-twin tail, just with different topsheets. I don't know if the designated mount point was the same on both.

I believe the neon yellow ones are 1994-95, the V-Ex was 2000-01, the wizard was 2001-2003 (two years production), and the maroon buddha was 2004-2005 (two years production).

Early ones -- definitely the neon ones, but am not sure about the Explosiv 2 and 3 -- have a boot tip mark for the mounting point ("schuhspitze" on the sidewall). By the time of the full wizard graphic and all subsequent models, the boot center ("A") mark was used.

Apparently some of the CMH branded ones are slightly softer than the retail ones, but not all. Maybe mntlion knows which ones are which, or if there's even any truth to this. I've never skied a CMH branded Explosiv.

I remember that Powder article, I might have that rag somewhere.

There's also the CMH versions. According to mntlion's site:

02/03 Season

04/05 Season

05/06 Season

Were there any different one's for 03/04?

I would like to read that powder article if anyone can find it and scan it.

I also believe that the mounting point has been moved forward as the years went along. I will be testing this theory with Uppernotmaster this weekend.

Along these lines, if anyone has a pair of 180 wizards they are looking to sell I would LOVE to take them off your hands. Explosivs are by far my favorite do anything ski and I need the wizards to complete the lineup. Willing to buy or trade for some buddha's in great shape.

I think any CMH version with the channel in the middle of the ski is softer (maybe one less layer of metal) than the normal explosiv. I think all orange and black versions have this channel as well as some blue and yellow depending on vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    damn those cmh's are butt ugly
    I dunno, the middle ones are pretty nice i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    I think any CMH version with the channel in the middle of the ski is softer (maybe one less layer of metal) than the normal explosiv. I think all orange and black versions have this channel as well as some blue and yellow depending on vintage.
    I have an orange and black version that has no channel, it has a flat topsheet and same stiff flex as the 190 buddha version I also own.

only the most recent year of CMH has the channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Singel View Post
    I remember that Powder article, I might have that rag somewhere.

There's also the CMH versions. According to mntlion's site:

02/03 Season

04/05 Season

05/06 Season

Were there any different one's for 03/04?
    I have a pair of what I believe are 03/04 CMH Explosives with the shinny Orange and Yellow top sheet and no channel which I bought new from my local shop in Feb 06. I think they are identical to the red Buddha models other than top sheet. They had been sitting around for a long time at the store and I had been looking at them the previous year when they had a sticker on them with a discount price saying they were 04 stock, so I presume 03/04. By early 06, everyone clued into the fact that the Mantra was not better, and the Explosives were gone forever, and the remaining ones got snapped up pretty quickly.

I didn't realize that the CMH top sheet was available for retail, and maybe it wasn't, as I know this store has a history of buying up old stock of unsold unused skis. So maybe they were excess stock CMH never used. They didn't have the rubber tip protectors, which I think are a CMH add on. Anyway, they were new in the plastic. It is possible they are 04/05 but not any newer. I think the blue and yellow CMH ones were for the 2 years preceding the yellow and orange ones and are older.

I liked mine a lot, but they were only 180's, so I bought a pair of ex CMH over the internet in the summer of 06, which had seen only one season, so 05/06's, and which have the matte finish orange and yellow top sheet with the channel and are definitely softer than my 180's without the channel. I think the channel is an area where the skis are milled out and where there is not any metal. Metal is evident at the top of the sidewall indicating there is at least a top layer, but I think the top layer does not go all the way accross. They are slightly softer, but better in powder, less great in crud.

That is all I know. I have far less knowledge about the regular explosives being a late convert to the explosive congregation.
    Last edited by Wetdog; 11-13-2008 at 11:11 PM.

BSS Guest
    I have a pair of 05/06 vintage PNH topsheet 190's. They're dead sexy, too.

I don't have another pair to compare the flex to, does anybody know if they're the same as the Buddhas or the CMH's?
    Last edited by BSS; 11-13-2008 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BSS View Post
    I have a pair of 05/06 vintage PNH topsheet 190's. They're dead sexy, too.

I don't have another pair to compare the flex to, does anybody know if they're the same as the Buddhas or the CMH's?
    All non-softened-for-CMH Explosivs of the same length are roughly the same, whether turned-up-tail or square tail.

Shorter ones are softer than longer ones.

Post a pic of the Points North ones -- never seen that topsheet.

Found the article on Page 36 of Winter 2006 Buyer's guide. I must be a god, because this was the first edition that I pulled from the shelf, and I opened it right onto the article:

[IMG][/IMG]

The article was written by Ingrid

That's pretty cool - an whole Powder article about a ski model getting discontinued.

My 190 Wizard Explosive are still my fav ski. They may be skinny by today's standards, but with the Explosives under our feet you know you can handle anything.

The part about being like a wide super-G ski is exactly what I felt the first time I tried them. I was spellbound from the first run. It was like coming home. And still today, every time I step on the Explosives and let them rip, that homecoming feel is still there.

I think they suffered noticeable shrinkage over the years. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it went something like this...

The first 3 topsheets were squaretails at true 190cm total length. Then the 2 V-Ex topsheets (Thors & Wizards) kept the 190cm total length, but the turned-up tail resulted in shorter runninglength. Then the Buddhas brought back the squaretail by effectively chopping off the upturned portion of the V-Ex tail (instead of "flattening" the upturned part to retain total length), resulting in a Buddha with same short runninglength as V-Ex, but shorter total length. So the "190" Buddha is more like 186-ish.

I'm guessing the CMH's (always squaretail) shrank 3-4cm right when the V-Ex mold was introduced, then likely held constant length after that.

I'm happy to delete this post if I'm proven wrong.

"Why can't they make a good old-school GS ski as wide as my foot?"

Sorry for the hi-jack, but i'm just wondering how many other people have never skied an Explosiv other than me?
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I haven´t.

But I´m trying to find a pair of 190´s as backup for my LP´s now... Only thing I´ve found so far is a brand new pair for $400 on ebay.

Nothing yet on the right side of the Atlantic.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    "Why can't they make a good old-school GS ski as wide as my foot?"

Sorry for the hi-jack, but i'm just wondering how many other people have never skied an Explosiv other than me?

This guy. . . .and I'm dying to get on a pair. Anyone around Maine that whats to give a kid a taste of the old-school? (I realize that for most of you this ski is not so old school, but while the explosivs were ending with the wizards I was still rockin hart moguls. . . ..

Quote Originally Posted by Sloafer11' View Post
    This guy. . . .and I'm dying to get on a pair. Anyone around Maine that whats to give a kid a taste of the old-school? (I realize that for most of you this ski is not so old school, but while the explosivs were ending with the wizards I was still rockin hart moguls. . . ..
    If your boot sole is 305 you are in luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    I think they suffered noticeable shrinkage over the years. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it went something like this...

The first 3 topsheets were squaretails at true 190cm total length. Then the 2 V-Ex topsheets (Thors & Wizards) kept the 190cm total length, but the turned-up tail resulted in shorter runninglength. Then the Buddhas brought back the squaretail by effectively chopping off the upturned portion of the V-Ex tail (instead of "flattening" the upturned part to retain total length), resulting in a Buddha with same short runninglength as V-Ex, but shorter total length. So the "190" Buddha is more like 186-ish.

I'm guessing the CMH's (always squaretail) shrank 3-4cm right when the V-Ex mold was introduced, then likely held constant length after that.

I'm happy to delete this post if I'm proven wrong.

I never noticed this until you mentioned it. I just compared some 180 neon's and ex-2's with 180 buddha's and you are in fact correct. The buddha's are a little over 2cm shorter than the pre wizard versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloafer11' View Post
    If you have a 315 bsl and can get to Magic we have multiple vintages of 180's that you can get on.

I have a few for sale (what a surprise) on both this TGR thread
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s....php?p=2083494
    and on
    www.fatskideals.com

funny I was thinking of writing this history a few days ago.

I scored a pair of 1st-gen neon 190's at a swap last year.

Topsheets are chipped all to hell, but bases & edges are sweet.

They are mounted Full-Steeze, with dayglo green & orange Look Z Racing turntables.

Haven't been on them (or any other Explosiv) yet...

Can not wait to fire these suckers up.

There's just 'something' about them...very Teutonic, stout and no-nonsense.
    And to me they really don't feel all that stiff.
    But I roll 235# in full gear.

Enjoy Every Sandwich - Warren Zevon

I hummed and hawed over several pair in my local shop in 05/06. By the time I realized what a cult ski the explosive was, the 190's were gone, but they still had a pair of 180 that they sold me for cost. It was more of a novelty for me than anything, just owning a legend, but when I skied them, I was amazed. I'm 6'3" and 185 and would have gone for the 190's but the 180's rock plenty. I use them mainly at the smaller hills I ski. They are perfect for the tighter lines and I ski them for most conditions except really hard packed. Last year at Cypress in Vancouver, I was doing laps in a post storm dump of deep wet heavy snow with a big smile, and thinking how they were the perfect ski for those conditions as they just ate it up like no other. At whistler, I sometimes ski them, but usually opt for a longer pair of Legend Pros.

As I mentioned above, I liked them so much, I bought some used CMH 190's last edition with the channel. They are softer, and though better in the deep, don't have quite the crud busting magic of my stiffer 180's. I kick myself now for not having jumped on the 190's in the store 2 years ago, but I didn't know better.

I often wondered why CMH didn't go with wider skis, but heliskiing often involves variable snow, it's not always all powder and the explosives excell in variable. I do have wider skis in my quiver, but the CMH 190's ski powder quite well. There is a little bit more of that feeling of being in it, rather than on it you get with wider skis. I usually ski my 190's early and late season, and take them to the Rockies when I go. They are not exactly rock skis yet, but I would sooner bang up a pair of well used $350 dollar skis than mint LP's, and if I do hit rocks, they take the abuse better than most because of their bomber construction. They are like tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    If your boot sole is 305 you are in luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    If you have a 315 bsl and can get to Magic we have multiple vintages of 180's that you can get on.

Chances of getting to magic are slim, but i appreciate it. Schuss, I'm getting new boots this year (feet are still growing), but I'll get back to you if I'm in that range, thanks man.