Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jerr is offline Underwater trapeze artist

08/09 Legend Pro rider 184: Review

Me: Non-racer, many years skiing, 78kg/5'11

The skis: Lp 184 mounted with 914 on the line. This years dimensions are 127/100/118

Other similar(ish) skis I use: 183 Gotama, 193 Titan Pro (I do find these way stiff and make me work but are rewarding), 188 G4

Expectations: I wanted a damp ski; to bust through crud, to be solid on firm surfaces, and have a lot of power. Basically an everyday ski for NZ.

Usage: I've skied these 3 days now; on powder, hard pack, crud, and moguls. I am confident I've made up my mind about them.

The guts -

The 08/09 Lp has been softened and widened, only it's been softened well beyond what I thought would be possible for a ski with the heritage of the LP. This is most evident in the shovel. It's also worth noting I've got last years xxl which are so much stiffer than these 08/09 LP's.

I found the new flex was the dominant element of these skis. It didn't let the ski transfer a lot of power through turns. I had to load up the tails to get much aggressiveness out of them. The shovel-into-forebody area is very soft.

In relation to this the ski was deflected by pretty much anything. I think this was the most disappointing characteristic for me. I love skiing crud but these skis took a lot of the fun out of it. Stuff the titan pros (or gots really) would have breezed through the LP's bounced over.

An area where these do excel is powder. In fact I would say these are a great 100mm powder ski if anybody needs such a thing.

Summary -

I guess I've been quite harsh on these skis. I've never skied an LP before but have heard countless superb reviews and expected a lot of them. They didn't measure up to what I had hoped would be a great aggressive crud busting machine, a notch down from the TP's. Having said that they are actually a well balanced ski. I'm guessing they're just not intended to be as staunch as they have been in the past.

Incidently, I have heard that Dynastar are aware these aren't going down to well among the traditional users and are stiffening up the 190's when they go to press. Just how much...I don't know.

Maybe the Lp will be the next explosiv

Edit: more salient comments are made through the thread...read on
    Last edited by jerr; 07-17-2008 at 05:12 AM.
    Nine out of ten Jeremy's prefer a warm jacket to a warm day

Interesting... I bought a pair as well -the deal I found was such a good deal I couldnt pass it up. I am activley looking to replace them with this years 08 186. I also have a pair of 194 XXL's. I also completely agree - (IMHO) - the 09 LP is way too soft...
    "If you are prepared for zombies, you are prepared for anything"

De Oppresso Liber

Softer than Gots?... Shit
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Softer than Gots?... Shit
    The last Gotama's I skied were the 05 190 black Buddha graphic model - definitely softer than those...

De Oppresso Liber

I disagree:

I have 08 gold 183 Gots and 09 184 LP's.

The tips of the LP's hand flex quite a bit, but the Gots have way more flex along the entire ski.

The Got is OK in tight trees and pow and the LP is No Pow ski, no way.

Of course thats just mho. 6' and 218lbs.

The 09 Lp is my narrowest ski and my everyday/hard snow ski in the East.

I saw the new LP's @ SnowBasin last Febuary. The flex was an obvious change that made these new skis nothing like A LEGEND PRO RIDER. I then talked with some dude Demoing the 190 ? He said the ski had been (WAY PUSSIFIED) and felt nothing like an LP.

I thought the LP was developing a cult following? why would Dynastar eliminate such a solid ski?
    I hear the Mythic Rider is a burlier ski than the LP now.

Quote Originally Posted by amatog View Post
    I disagree:

The tips of the LP's hand flex quite a bit, but the Gots have way more flex along the entire ski.

I get the east coast thing (tight spaces), but man-o-man, 183 Gots would be like snowlerbaldes on you!!

Back on topic, I wonder if Dynastar is trying to make the XXL the burliest ski in the line now, like the LP used to be? Too bad the screwed it up so bad.
    Last edited by Bandit Man; 07-14-2008 at 07:10 PM.

I get the east cost thing (tight spaces), but man-o-man, 183 Gots would be like snowlerbaldes on you!!

Agree!

Even 183 Katanas feel way flexy to me. I think its because Volkl 183's are really 178.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I saw the new LP's @ SnowBasin last Febuary. The flex was an obvious change that made these new skis nothing like A LEGEND PRO RIDER. I then talked with some dude Demoing the 190 ? He said the ski had been (WAY PUSSIFIED) and felt nothing like an LP.

I thought the LP was developing a cult following? why would Dynastar eliminate such a solid ski?
    I hear the Mythic Rider is a burlier ski than the LP now.
    Now that you mention it, my 09 184's did come with a 30 day supply of MaxiPads.

Quote Originally Posted by amatog View Post
    I disagree:

Interesting... I'm close to your size - probably around 225 in gear, maybe my 09 184 LP's might work. I just got them the other day - very skeptical about the soft tips still. I really like a stiff ski and I'm worried they wont handle tight steeper technical lines like I will need them to - quick turns but still be able to bomb packed & tracked out/variable run outs.

De Oppresso Liber

That sucks I was going to get this ski now it sounds like its time to look for something else.
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

Wow, this is truly gay news. The LP now blows and has defeated its own purpose.

Anybody know when the 190 is going to hit the market so we can see if it might redeem the line in terms of being a stiff boner?

unhappy with the 09 LP? try the new stockli stormrider DP plus

A bit more.

The LP has a progressive flex which is, I think, what lets it deflect so easily. Not to mention the lack of torsional rigidity through the front quarter of the ski. It's like they actually used sandwiches in the sandwich construction. I just don't get why they've done this to a ski with this reputation.

Anyway, mine are for sale. Anyone got some proper 186 LP's they want to post to NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    unhappy with the 09 LP? try the new stockli stormrider DP plus
    Yeah I have heard this ski is the holy grail for ripping it - thanks for reminding me about it.

De Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by fat yeti View Post
    That sucks I was going to get this ski now it sounds like its time to look for something else.
    hmm
    ditto

though im still enamoured with my 186s, the new head mojo103s or whatever they are called are even more interesting with their slightly softer flex and bigger shovel.

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    hmm
    ditto

though im still enamoured with my 186s, the new head mojo103s or whatever they are called are even more interesting with their slightly softer flex and bigger shovel.
    I hear ya - that ski does sound pretty sweet. My only hesitaiton is that any ski I have skied so far with softer tips seem (for me) to be a hinderence when things are getting tracked out or no new snow. In uneven mank I like to charge & carve but with soft tip skis they deflect & get bouncy. Seems to me softer flexing skis are more of a quiver/powder ski...

De Oppresso Liber

As Verb61 and others mentioned, the Stockli DP + (or the NEW Scot Schmidt) retain much of the old LP feel, stiff, with 101 mm under foot.

Skied the new XXL and LP at Snowbasin, and yes, they are softer up front but certainly not noodles. I say no way they are softer than Gotamas. And they still have the damp metal laminate feel I prefer. Of course I am a measly 160 pounds.

Pechelman, had a chance to ski on those Heads last year too, very fun ski, again damp, metal laminate, thinner profile than the Stockli SS, so a little easier to bend into a round turn but excellent torsional rigidity.

And for those with cash to burn- the whole Kastle line rocked at Snowbasin. Unfortunately they will be marketed at the highest end of the market ($1100 flat). Fortunately they will be making the 108 (mm) this year and my shop will carry them so I will be forced to order a pair.

Again, not to be an industry apologist, but big, stiff skis do not fly off the wall, and those that want them always ask for the "bro deal". These are the types of skis I ski on myself but understand the eventual softening in the quest for a wider appeal.

Supergaper

Thansk for the info -

Looks like I'm going to look for a "Bro" deal on some Kestles, Stockli DP+ or Scot Schmidts.

De Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by altasnowbirdripper View Post
    I hear ya - that ski does sound pretty sweet. My only hesitaiton is that any ski I have skied so far with softer tips seem (for me) to be a hinderence when things are getting tracked out or no new snow. In uneven mank I like to charge & carve but with soft tip skis they deflect & get bouncy. Seems to me softer flexing skis are more of a quiver/powder ski...
    if you think softer tips on an im103 is a bad idea, well, lets just say that im convinced, that the more and more you post, the more you really are a moron

Well, Allow me to rephrase (good hell pelchman, don’t get your panties all bunched up in a fucking knot!) I don’t like a ski with a softer tip - especially a ski that’s around a 184. As for the new Mojo - haven’t skied it yet so I'll hold out my judgment. As for the skis I have skied with softer tips 09 K2’s Salomon’s and a slew of others - I didn’t necessarily like the softer tips in lumpy tracked out run outs and sketchy situations. But For the record - I could care less what you think of me moron or not - BIG FUCKING DEAL! spare me. Like what ever works for you works for everyone else out there - right?. I guess I forgot - you wrote the complete book about skis and what's right for everyone.
    Last edited by altasnowbirdripper; 07-15-2008 at 05:25 PM.

De Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGaper View Post
    the eventual softening in the quest for a wider appeal.
    I agree. The next time I here an awesome ski is being "softened to make it better" I'll know what to do.

apparently you all arent familiar with the term "design compromise"

(though it sounds like the new LP is really too soft)

Apparently you aren't aware that, despite being quite intelligent and knowledgeable, you have one hell of an ego.

(though it sounds like the new LP is really too soft)

Wow - once again you saved our asses - assuming "we all" have never heard of the term design compromise, let alone what the hell it means. We're just a bunch of morons and you're the only so called Real Deal skier in here who counts, right? We want to be just like you NOT! Yes the 09 LP is WAY to soft - torsionally, static, how ever you want to flex it. Must be pretty sharp to be brave enough to assume that one let alone figured that out ..hmm.. you might consider becoming a nuclear submarine propulsion reactor scientist - you just might be smart enough

Lets just say that I'm convinced that the more you post - you're a little man with little man's desease
    Last edited by altasnowbirdripper; 07-19-2008 at 01:56 PM.

De Oppresso Liber