Chile Heliskiing Options and Recommendations

Just want to probe the maggots for some experiences with Heli companies out of and around Santiago. I have been sitting high and dry-wet in Bariloche and am going mad to have snow like Las Leñas two weeks ago.

I have looked around and the only service I am finding for a day of heli is with Valle Nevado.

http://www.vallenevado.cl/heliski.pr...87a6f078c08109

http://www.skitotal.cl/html_ingles/heliski2.htm

I have 3 to four people who want to be going up together since Bariloche has saved us so much money this season. If anyone wants to join up, let me know.

Experience and advice wanted.

I'd be game for some heli skiing in Chile. My buddy went heli skiing outside of Valle Nevado last year and said it was a great time, not to expensive either. We'll need to get a crew of 4 together to go, I know a few people down here who may be game too.

I'm in Santiago for the next few months if you or any mags need a place to crash. You can PM or text me on my US cell 017202017087

Thanks jSki. I have received a few pm´s about operations and they all point to Valle Nevado for those who would need this info in the future. I am sitting on some people and think I will email about the 17th for anyone locked down in Santiago who wants to hunt for the elusive pow. A final go on my LL core shot skis before they are retired to being posted on my wall. jSki, ask away to your friends. We just need to get the group solid. I am only booking advanced expert runs, no beginner lines because I want steep. Hit me back.

Maggots, if you come to SA to ski, there is insane harvest in the early season at total risk of gamble. You get big rewards if you camp out but at a price of crap the rest of the time. Heli is cheap and a great option down here so hopefully we will be able to post a few more points of clarification after this venture.

one other thing, boarders who arent bringing their board (aka the backpack traveler) bring your bindings for god sake. they rentals are absolute rubbish and just bringing your own will save you insane rental headaches!

Still looking for interest and experience. all contributions have been welcome!

I'm not landing in Santiago until aug 18th, but I could be convinced to hit it if the variables and price aligned.

Is there such a thing as unguided heli dropoffs in Chile? or is that a bad Idea?

What about sled rentals near $$$ terrain?

Maybe I'll just be unlazy, and do more earning.

AK - I would say that no company I have heard of would do the unguided for tip and liability sake.
    Sleds might be available, they were around Las Leñas, that would be a good idea. Look into it!

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Just get a crew together and do it. Convince the guides that you can handle the terrain, there is incredible variety back there. Talk to Miguel or Clark if he is still there at VN. They know the terrain around there, for sure Clark will give you no BS advice. We can't tell you what runs to take because it's useless info without up to the minute knowledge of the conditions out there.

There is IIRC a heli in Portillo, but the whole operation did not appear as well run as VN.
    You might want to check out the cat skiing at Arpa, someone here did a TR on it so do a search.

There are at least 3 TR's on here about VN heli alone. Do a search, there is a wealth of information and pictures of all these places that will answer your questions.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

I get butterflies every time I hear your sweet poetry....

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoegnar420 View Post
    I get butterflies every time I hear your sweet poetry....
    You are too easily influenced by more forceful personalities for your own good.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

I'm landing in Santiago on August 14th, I'm interested. I'll be in Portillo the 23rd through the 30th.

jSki, I'll try and look you up for drinks, I'm spending the night of the 14th in Santiago and heading up to Valle Nevado on the 15th.

In a pilot that never made it to light TGR went down to Chille and rented biles' to get them to the goods. I believe they also hired a guide to show them how to get to the goods. If I recall it was much cheaper than hiring a heli - and the footage the grabbed looked like pretty freaking sweet territory.

If a bunch of dirtbag tgr guys could figure it out I'm sure most could.

Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    In a pilot that never made it to light TGR went down to Chille and rented biles' to get them to the goods. I believe they also hired a guide to show them how to get to the goods. If I recall it was much cheaper than hiring a heli - and the footage the grabbed looked like pretty freaking sweet territory.

If a bunch of dirtbag tgr guys could figure it out I'm sure most could.
    That could work, we could put the blow in our backpacks and the hookers can ride on the handlebars.

Man, I'd feel pretty comfy just renting the 'biles if I had someone that knew what they were doing as well with me. Also, with how long it goes between storms down there I'm sure all the uproutes are pretty easy to spot. As well with the stable wind hammered snowpack, I would guess that the track would hookup pretty well all around. It would be fun to do a multiday sled/camp/ski trip. the only thing I'm worried about is not having a longtrack SkiPoo REV 800 to rent. I'm not sure if I could still ride a widetub, its been so long.

It makes me think, I would have to bring a bunch more gear and shit for all that.

Snowmoskiers unite.

Also, I know Clark from up here and I'm sure we could convince him to hit the goods with us.
    Last edited by AKturnanburn; 07-09-2008 at 03:11 AM.

Christian Wehrhahm, Dos Tiempos Andes Back Country

I rode with Christian in Haines a few years ago, good guy and he rips for sure. He has a guided (I think) snowmobile opp. I believe that he set up the trip for TGR. The crew we were riding with that day (very experienced North American pro's) spoke highly of him and his snowmobile scene.

I found his website.http://www.dostiempos.cl/site.html
    Last edited by Ted Shred; 07-09-2008 at 11:46 AM.

Update, skitotal´s phone seems completely useless as it answers but no conversation can occur over a dead line. Valle Nevado, which i think contracts to Ski total unless they have identically painted helicopters, is unable to service Tres Puntas and Plateau right now since there isn´t enough snow. They suggested around 3 weeks before that will be available. So, anyone looking for some heliskiing, the trip will be Olivares unless there isn´t enough interest and I am only thinking 1000m.

More interest, let me know.