Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Why you should be scared of Alta

The state I live in pisses me off more and more ever day. It should piss you off too, unless your a fat pig from Texas.

http://telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewto...58f74dbac0f91e

That can't all be private land, they will have to do an EIS, and the USFS will have a notice and comment period, right? Someone find a map.

Well as much as it suck for you the reasons that this sucks for you are reasons its a good move for Alta. (except for the south facing part.)
    Holy f'ing hell this would be a drag if they put a lift in here. A few details;
    - This would double the size of Alta's already developed terrain
    - This area is all south facing so the skiing would be pure schwag
    - Flagstaff is probably one of the most popular backcountry access trailheads in Utah, and...
    - Alta doesn't allow uphill traffic
    - The backside of this area is the heart of the Wasatch backcountry. Areas like Silver Fork, Days Fork, Toledo bowl, Holy Toledo, Cardiff, Cardiac and many other classics would all be lift served access from here.
    It does piss me off but...it is 95 degrees in PA right now
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Tell icsteveoh that he doesn't know how to monkey wrench properly.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 06-11-2008 at 02:40 PM.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Is that facetious? Develop a shitload of terrain because Homeland Security doesn't like Avalanche Guns?

This thread makes me sick to my stomach. This is on of the best spots to try to get early morning photos. I think i am going to puke.

Old news. But I just can't imagine not being able to skin up Flagstaff.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by otter View Post
    This thread makes me sick to my stomach. This is on of the best spots to try to get early morning photos. I think i am going to puke.
    No worries brah, it is after all, Alta. The coolest ski resort in the country, brah.

You'll be able to ride a lift to get your pics. Think about how much faster you'll be able to get to Superior.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Sounds like the making of a Wasangles Shit show
    Damn I'm givin up the ciggies buying some dynawompers and praying for a good low elavation snow pack.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Sounds like another step towards the Wasatch Super Resort concept of continuous lift-served skiing between LCC, BCC & Park Silly.

interestingly this seems like a step towards interconnect on the cottonwood resort, no?

kinda of weird about the homeland security comment.

This is really, really not good. As in...worst news I've heard in a long, long time. Even if it is super easy access, that is very nearly sacred terrain for so many here in the Wasatch and a literal rite of passage/learning grounds for young BCers and those looking to get beyond the lifts. This will be a very sad occurrence if it actually comes to pass. Sigh...
    The Griz

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    interestingly this seems like a step towards interconnect on the cottonwood resort, no?
    Unless Solitude ownership changes hands that aint gonna happen.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

seriously... it's all south facing. WTF.

Wow. Super gay. I mean really super extra gay. Alta (and every other ski area in the country) needs to just stay where they are. There's plenty of in-bounds terrain. In fact, not only should Alta not put a fucking lift up Flagstaff, they should rip out the Collins lift and put the old Germania lift back in. They should also put a manditory gap jump 1/3 of the way out on the High T to cull the herd. Did I mention that this lift up Flagstaff idea is really gay?

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle6 View Post
    This is really, really not good. As in...worst news I've heard in a long, long time. Even if it is super easy access, that is very nearly sacred terrain for so many here in the Wasatch and a literal rite of passage/learning grounds for young BCers and those looking to get beyond the lifts. This will be a very sad occurrence if it actually comes to pass. Sigh...
    Kind of ironic we have both received paychecks to promote these places.

Might have to rethink my stance on that.

Without Trackhead and Grizzle's promotion of the Wasatch ski resorts, they never would have the kind of money they need to put in lifts like this. Thanks a lot, guys.

So, where's that map showing the USFS boundaries? Topozone isn't free anymore.

headed out the superior gate today......

Quote Originally Posted by smuggs View Post
    headed out the superior gate today......
    how was the snow? was 7.345676899987656786565456776%?

that leaves a big space in between begging for a lift up the top of patsy marley off summer road

Quote Originally Posted by David Witherspoon View Post
    Purely coincidence. There is no plan. Pay no mind to the glaringly obvious endpoint.

In fact, what is this "interconnect" of which you speak?

And what are the odds of that? I mean, Solitude has never closed down, never gone bankrupt, never sold out to real estate developers for short-term survival, hasn't recently lost the guy who ran the resort, always gets the most skiers of all the Wasatch Front resorts, has been enjoying strongly increasing visits for twenty years, and the owner could probably manage his way out of a wet paper sack (if somebody tore the closed end open for him).

Yeah. Ain't gonna happen.
    At least SOC is on top of it!

http://www.saveourcanyons.org/currentissues/

This would suck

Quote Originally Posted by David Witherspoon View Post
    Hey, I got a great idea.

You deal with it.
    David,

How do you think the Powderbirds will react to this? With skyrocketing fuel prices, they will feel the hurt too if they can't cherry pick this close destination.

Bummer.

Sounds like they pulled a fast one.

That will provide lift/sidecountry access to the core of the Wasatch Backcountry LCC/BCC areas. So much snow and too little terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    David,

How do you think the Powderbirds will react to this? With skyrocketing fuel prices, they will feel the hurt too if they can't cherry pick this close destination.
    A Powderbirds - SOC alliance? Wow, it must be cold everywhere!