Opinions on Jester, now in right forum

Alright im not on these forums often but i was wondering your opinions on the marker jester. Im hoping to pick up a new set up powder sticks next year, leaning towards the donner party right now, and was thinking about putting jesters on them. I've heard of some breaking their jesters fairly quickly, but so many others that absolutely swear by them. I love light bindings but I'm worried that plastic housing on a binding with a din range that goes up to 16 just isn't the most brilliant idea. I'm 6' 3 and about 170-175 for reference and I next year i'll be skiing vail, winter park, breck, abasin, crested butte, all those places in summit county for reference, thanks for any info

Can't tell you about those, but if you are looking for something light with a high din there are always sth16s and the fks bindings.

get salomon sth16s. they're on sale now all over the web... i think the sth is around 1/2 pound heavier. also, if you don't need 16 din, i believe an sth14 will be available next year (and the sth12 available now as well). also know that the jester has no ramp angle (i.e. flat)...

i have no input on jesters but if you like light bindings and need a highish din, then look no further than head/tyrolia mojo 15. its light, metal[ish], pivot heal and is pretty bomber.
    Today ridicule, tomorrow really cool.

http://www.left-collective.com/
    FOLLOW YOUR OWN WAY

Hi Jong, welcome to Tech Talk. Good work, you're in the right forum. Now try searching.

I'd go with the STH16 because it's burlier than the Jester and it's got the high din you're looking for.
    Also, eat a cheeseburger
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

I have a pair of jesters on my goats and they seem to be holding up good so far, but I only have about 10 days on them.

have never skied the jesters, but my understanding is that they are lacking some of the adjustability features that are seen on the dukes. this disappointed a lot of people. all i can really say about the jesters is that as good as they might be, they are still markers, and come with all that baggage. if you're looking for lightweight high din, i agree with the above...go sth16 or fks 155/185. both are tested and proven, and have pretty good reputations.

I like the colors, but the downside is that, if you bleed on them, it's really hard to clean off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ...I would have dove into that bush like Jon McMurray.

Quote Originally Posted by squatch View Post
    I like the colors, but the downside is that, if you bleed on them, it's really hard to clean off.
    Try a Magic Eraser. They work wonders on blood stains.

STH16 rules. STH14 next year will also rule. Marker sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by njfreeskier View Post
    have never skied the jesters, but my understanding is that they are lacking some of the adjustability features that are seen on the dukes. this disappointed a lot of people. all i can really say about the jesters is that as good as they might be, they are still markers, and come with all that baggage. if you're looking for lightweight high din, i agree with the above...go sth16 or fks 155/185. both are tested and proven, and have pretty good reputations.
    What exactly do they lack in adjustability? They mount for specific boot sole length, but they have a pretty good range of adjustment larger and smaller. Lots of companies are running jesters as demo bindings because of this.

So you must be talking about toe height? No toe height adjustment=so what. The only person that might actually care about this is the one who skis in rando boots, but lets face it, putting a rando boot in non-touring binding is a dumb idea anyway.

The fact that they have automatic toes is actually a plus, not a minus. Why? Most people don't know how to adjust something like the salomon toe properly and then the binding doesn't function as designed. And it makes switching between boots a snap. Great for sharing, great for trying out boots (I did this this spring in an epic search for a new boot). It was a PITA to adjust my STH 16s in the middle of the day when switching boots, or right away after a run if I couldn't stand a particular boot, which happened.

Anyway, I fully endorse the Jester based on my experiences. I still have yet to hear of one breaking. I'm sure it's happened, but I don't think it's an epidemic or any more prevalent than any other binding breaking. Also, they are light as shit. I don't know specific weights, but I'd be willing to bet the jester is significantly lighter than the STH 16. I'm probably gonna run my quiver over the Jester primarily next season. I'm traveling a lot more to ski, and weight is becoming a big issue. I picked up a pair of next season's Big Daddy (with tip rocker) mounted with jesters and they were way lighter than my Hellbents with STH 16s. And you can pop the heel off the track easily without removing screws (like the old look P14s/Rossi Axials), so you could feasibly have two pairs of skis in a bag, with two sets of toes, but only one set of heels. I'd probably not roll like this just in case something went wrong, but it's a option.

Just my thoughts.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

I have road the jesters this year and some of last year and they are awesome. One of the biggest things about it is that the mounting platform is wider so it drives a wider ski better. And it is not just a marketing ploy, it really does make a difference. But if you want a lighter binder there is the griffin which comes out next year. Din 4.12, but does not have the metal that the jester has. I think ptex1 has a couple at his shop griffins that is. I also like the mojo 15, light and burly.

Quote Originally Posted by MarnMan View Post
    I have road the jesters this year
    Somebody isn't an English teacher.....
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably