Thread: Coomba review

Coomba review

Just spent 3 days in Utah steep and deep on my new 188 Coombas.

Very smooth stable ski with awesome float and the ability to dump speed quickly when you have to, very happy with them on all levels.

I've been waiting to here more about the Coomba...what binding did you mount it up with?
    The coefficent of desireability is inversly proportionate to the degree of availability.

Rossi Axial 2 mounted flat, makes a nice light combo

I took these out to demo in Utah. Powder days both. I liked the longer length for me. Soft ski. Plenty of fun. Great touring rig - but a little soft when hitting wind buff or firm snow.

Tried the 181 in Aspen after Christmas and was not impressed,felt a bit unwieldy and hard work.The guy in the shop suggested
    174 and....much better, really liked it and ended up buying them (in Holland, sold out in the UK). I wouldn't have thought that 7cm difference would make the skis feel so much better for me.
    Very happy and looking forward to our trip to Utah at the end of Feb.

Ever skied Chiefs? If so how would the coomba's compare to the ski they replaced?
    They are supposed to be lighter and less stiff. Thoughts?

Compared to the Seth Vicious?
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

what an informative and detailed review

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    what an informative and detailed review

Exactly what I was thinking.

Just an idea - ski review template sticky that people can copy and paste into their post like TeleTips:

Here's the template, please copy and paste it into your review:

Brand / Model of ski:
    Length:
    Tip width:
    Waist:
    Tail:
    Weight in this length:
    Boots used:
    Bindings used:
    How many days on the skis:
    Resort or backcountry:
    Geographical region:
    Tell us about the terrain you ski:
    Do you know how the skis were tuned (bevel):
    How long have you been skiing:
    How many days a year:
    Previous ski that you liked:
    Previous ski you did not like:
    How big are you:

Comments:

I am also curious how they compare to the Chiefs.
    Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.

very similar to the chief except lighter, softer, longer-feeling tip and maybe less/no camber. there's enough there to ski pretty fast, and it skids predictably on hard snow, but it's really light and easy to ski- I think it's the best all-around BC ski for winter conditions that I've been on. it's a lot like a down-scaled sanouk, but better on packed snow.

Quote Originally Posted by H-wood View Post
    it's a lot like a down-scaled sanouk, but better on packed snow.
    so do you think the flex is as soft as the sanouk? ideally I'm looking for a lightish ski for winter and spring BC, mounted with Dynafits, with a flex like older Gotamas. I think the Coomba might be the ticket but also considering the BD Verdict...

Anyone else have thoughts, specifically on the flex in comparison to other skis (old gots)?

Quote Originally Posted by H-wood View Post
    very similar to the chief except lighter, softer, longer-feeling tip and maybe less/no camber. there's enough there to ski pretty fast, and it skids predictably on hard snow, but it's really light and easy to ski- I think it's the best all-around BC ski for winter conditions that I've been on. it's a lot like a down-scaled sanouk, but better on packed snow.
    Interesting. I do dig my 181 Chiefs for inbounds on almost anything but hard ice or huge bumps. I also put one of my skis next to an '08 190 Gotama and they had nearly identical running length, except that the mount line on the Chief is further back. A 188 Chief/Coomba must ski mighty long. The softness of the Coomba and the slightly better specs for soft snow might make the near ideal bc ski for me...

I tried the 181s and was really suprised how stable they were. Super easy to ski, light, easy to throw around too.

Should be a great touring ski.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    so do you think the flex is as soft as the sanouk? ideally I'm looking for a lightish ski for winter and spring BC, mounted with Dynafits, with a flex like older Gotamas. I think the Coomba might be the ticket but also considering the BD Verdict...

Anyone else have thoughts, specifically on the flex in comparison to other skis (old gots)?
    I got this ski specifically because the dimension and flex pattern are similar to the old Got, only it is lighter - the perfect touring setup in my opinion. I've only had about 3 days in the BC on it so far mostly in pow but love it. I have Freerides on them and it is a super light setup for how big it is. Obviously would be even lighter with dynafits. I'm excited to get more days on them in more variable conditions. I haven't skied the Verdict but hear it is significantly stiffer than the Coomba. I also considered the '08 verdict as the dimension is also similar.

EDIT: keep in mind the running length is much longer relative to the Got because: 1) K2's run long 2) flat tail as opposed to twin. I got the 174 as the running length is about equal to, maybe even a little longer than, 183 Got.
    Last edited by sierraskier; 02-05-2008 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    I got this ski specifically because the dimension and flex pattern are similar to the old Got, only it is lighter - the perfect touring setup in my opinion. I've only had about 3 days in the BC on it so far mostly in pow but love it. I have Freerides on them and it is a super light setup for how big it is. Obviously would be even lighter with dynafits. I'm excited to get more days on them in more variable conditions. I haven't skied the Verdict but hear it is significantly stiffer than the Coomba. I also considered the '08 verdict as the dimension is also similar.

EDIT: keep in mind the running length is much longer relative to the Got because: 1) K2's run long 2) flat tail as opposed to twin. I got the 174 as the running length is about equal to, maybe even a little longer than, 183 Got.
    awesome, just what I was looking for. thanks dood!

Some good stuff here. I also love my 181 chiefs (on everything) but think that in the future I'd want and lighter ski to carry up into the BC. Good to hear that these ski like the chiefs albeit a little bit softer.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Some good stuff here. I also love my 181 chiefs (on everything) but think that in the future I'd want and lighter ski to carry up into the BC. Good to hear that these ski like the chiefs albeit a little bit softer.
    ~3800g vs 4560g for the same length and a tad more surface area. That's a pretty sweet deal right there. Something tells me that the more snub nose shape / shorter tip on the Chief handles firmer snow better anyways. (More edge contact.) The softer flex of the Coomba might pair of with AT better as well. That could make a very nice if in many ways similar combo. Chiefs alpine (as is,) Coombas with dynafits and midweight AT boots. (Choomba?) It wouldn't be so hard to go between setups, that's for sure.

I love my 188s, very predictable and smooth. Mounted with dukes, so it's a slackcountry setup (especially since I don't have AT boots ). Should get some more touring on them next week.
    Last edited by JimLad; 02-05-2008 at 06:15 PM.

How do the Coombas perform on icy hardpack/neva? I'm looking to replace my spring setup with something pretty light but also capable of doing both soft snow and frozen.

Skied about 70 days on the 188's this season. Love them. Although the long tip takes some runs to get used to.
    There nice at almost all speeds but you have to pay attention when skiing tracked pow at speed, imho it gets more influenced by other tracks then for example a dyna XXL 194 or a Goat 191. I think it's because they are very light and quite soft in the tip.
    An advantage of the low weight is that they are easy to throw around.