Movement Goliaths, WHAT!! - Review

Review on my favorite skis EVER!!

Me: 6'1", 195 lbs, ex-racer
    Previous skis used: 190 Gotamas last few years, both black Budhha and White/Reds, 138s a couple days.
    191 Goliaths mounted on the line.

Now I'm not the best at reviewing skis as I haven't tried that many skis but I'll try my best with the adjectives.

What can I say about these. They just rock pretty much everywhere. Used them so far 5 days including opening weekend at Revy in Pow-Pow and packed pow conditions at Kicking Horse. In the pow, they felt oh so good. With the lengthier rise tip, I was able to ski them with my weight forward and not have any tip dive issues. Haulled ass in open pow filled bowls, did not feel squirrely or hooky at speed at all. Could make shorter radius turns in the pow in the trees fairly easy. On packed pow conditions and bumps, just felt so stable yet easy to maneuver. I'm not sure but I feel the straighter sidecut and flat tail helps in making shorter radius slidier type turns in the bumps, not that I'm looking to ski bumps, but sometimes its the only choice on the way. On softer groomers, again so stable carving gs-superg type turns with no tip chatter. If you really load up the tip you can make gs size turns, otherwise rolling the ankles gets you super-g size. On icier groomers, yeah there is some slipping, but to be expected with a ski of this width. Stomping, WHAT, holy shit I've never felt so comfortable, so at ease dropping either into pow or packed pow/bumpy conditions. Straightlining chutes, pfffft, no worries. Straightling chutes into garbage/bumps, pffft, still no worries.

To sum them up, I just felt SO CONFIDENT on these. I couldn't believe they would be that different, that much better than the Gotamas. I'm not able to ski much the first part of the season because of work, but I feel more confident in my skiing on these at the start of this season than I did on my Gots at the end of 50 days last season. Had the lucky opportunity to ski with Hjertaas, Hjorleifson, and Ruebens last run of opening day Revy under the Gondy line, pillows, stumps, drops, bumps, and def wouldn't be keeping up on the Gots-sorry for the name dropping.

Just SO stable everywhere and easy to ski, size feels perfect.

I came close to buying XXLs/Big Bros but went with these instead, just sounded 'better' from some of the input given off the forum. That said, I really want to try some XXLs/Big Bros out to compare and will hopefully later in the season.

Unfortunately there is a sad ending to this review. Christmas Day, 3rd day on them, dropped a double, probably 20'-25' drop, landed right on a rock and compressed an edge on both skis underfoot. Luckily the edge or sidewall didn't crack, but shop figures core might be slightly. Pic is of the worse of the two skis. Oops, I guess it would have been better if the sidewall had cracked??

Otherwise, bomber topsheet, its kind of cool with these sort of raised pixels/squares.

That is all.

GO AND GIT SUM!!!!
    Last edited by robnow; 12-30-2007 at 08:47 AM.

good review, but man that is a nasty compression
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Just wanted to second pretty much everything Rob said. These skis kill everything. They are the best ski that I have ever ridden. Granted thats only been a handful of skis (gots, MadnAKs, b-squads, HEad IM88s, Karmas, and a few others here an there) but these skis ride JUST like I had hoped. Would not change one thing. maybe the tips a little stiffer but I am not displeased with them at all. Bummed about your edge compression man. I am actually in the process of trying to get another pair for backup right now because I have never been so happy with a pair of sticks. BTW pm me about revy if you get a chance. how was it ?

Nice review. I'm loving mine as well. So far, these are the most durable skis I've ever been on. Tough bases and bomber topsheet. When these eventually wear out, I'll be buying another pair. Talked to a rep who said there's only a graphic change for next year, but ski is the same...
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

08/09 graphic is very cool and I want a pair to replace my 06/07 vintage. Saw them on Bengate for about $870 Sure hope I can score a pair at seasons end for like $500.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I finally demoed the Goliaths after nearly two years. Anyway, better late than never. I'm 6'3" and 185lbs and am a fairly aggressive skier with 40 years of experience, and about 30 in the back country. I did day tour in the Whistler back country on a pair mounted with Freerides and found they toured as well as my present resort sidecountry set up, 04/05 Gotamas with Freerides. They are probably about the same weight. They are a little less turny/playful than the Gots wanting to make wider arcs, but with a little muscle they can be forced into shorter turns. In dry powder, they floated well, better than the Gots, similar to my Sanouks, but needed to be coaxed into shorter turns in the trees where I find my Gotamas and Sanouks easier to ski. Later in the day they handled the heavier sun affected wetter snow very well. This is where the Sanouks get bogged down.

On my first few turns off Cowboy ridge on a 40 degree slope, they just wanted to get up and go. I had half the hill covered in a few wide arcing high speed turns before I reigned them in a bit and carved some shorter radius turns which they accomplished quite well. I remember more than one reviewer stating that the transition from long to short radius turns takes some coaxing and I would agree.

The flex of these skis seems fairly softish in the tip, quite firm under foot and medium to firm in the tail, a more traditional progressive flex different from the more uniform flex I am used to in the Gotama. I think the Gotama is actually a bit stiffer in the tip, but over the rest of the ski the Goliath is stiffer. I didn't get into anything really deep or really cruddy, but it felt as though they would out perform the Gotama in either of those extremes from the little bit of each that I skied. On firmer snow, especially icy groomers, of which there were plenty that day on our return to the resort, they were OK, though I found myself throttling way back not wanting to trust them to hold an edge too much, but rather sliding them more. I had heard that for a big ski they are very well behaved on groomers, and they are, but the Gotama is a lot more comfortable on firmer snow, at least for me. Perhaps it was the tune on them, or lack there of, but the hard snow performance was less than I had been led to expect.

Overall, I was really impressed with the ski. Definitely more powerful than the Gotama, though I sort of like the mellow nature of the Got in back country where it has served me well. The Goliath toured well, being relatively light for its size. I was setting them up for my boots in the back room of Escape Route in the Whistler village and lifted a set of Czars with Dukes that were waiting for a customer which felt like lead weights compared to the bigger Goliath.

I would probably replace my Gotamas with this ski if they were in need of replacement, however it was not that much better that I would rush out and buy a pair right away. Overall, I was very impressed though.

more raving about golaiths

I just want to throw this in there because I am glad that more people are getting on this ski and I would love to see even more. I am not a rep nor sponsored by movement. I just think they make one of the best, if not the best, skis on the market right now and I would love to see them acknowledged for it.

FYI Me: 6'6" 195 without clothes. 24 yrs old. Skiing PACNW right now but bout 50 days in JH last year and 15 @ squaw. Like to ski hard and push my limits. Dont jib really except the odd 180 or 360.

The Goliaths are not "turny" and by this I mean they do not have enough sidecut that they will just come around if you roll your ankles. They love to go fast and, like all stiff skis, REALLY benefit from being skied forward. If you commit to pushing your shins into the tongues of your boots from the get go on this ski I dont think there is a chance you will be dissatisfied. That being said, if you sit more neutral or back a bit on them, or let their size intimidate you on steep terrain where you need to make tight turns, they will own you, making you pay for your hesitation by becoming extremely unweildy. They have spanked my ass several times for not skiing them well. HOwever, when skied dynamically, committing to the fall line, they are truly the best ski, all around ,that I have ever skied. So if you are just getting on a pair, or thinking about it, I encourage you to go for it, with the purchase and your skiing style. YOu will be rewarded. I have 2 seasons on mine, skiing squaw, Jackson, and the PNW, countless coreshots, and no sweat to the ski at all. I have pretty much resigned to skiing them like they are indestructable, and they have not yet proven me wrong. When they do, I'll buy another pair because on the skis I like list:

DPS Lotus 138
    1st gen Gotama
    Explosiv
    Coomba

they are #1

^^^I think Shasti's got it right on these skis.

For me, they really shine (a) on ice (they hold an edge really well) and (b) when skiing over 15 mph. Once you get going though, they seem both agile and stable. They also have the most bomber construction I've ever seen in a ski. I think they make a great one-ski quiver for someone who constantly skis hard and doesn't do park.

In terms of limitations, I find the super stiff tails to make tight moguls impossible, or, at least, I haven't dialed them in yet. (But I don't like moguls.) They are a lot of work if you're skiing slowly and fairly heavy, so I think they have limited use in the BC, where weight is important and where one frequently has to ski slowly through tight trees and bad snow.

FYI, if you're looking for something a little more backcountry oriented (less weight, better on steep chutes in the compact snow) try the Goliath Sluffs. A little smaller, but better for the up. I think my b/c setup next year will be Sluffs and Dynafit FT12s. That said, I remain tempted just to throw Dynafits onto a pair of Goliaths.

Movement also makes smaller and lighter skis too designed purely for b/c touring, but I have to admit, I like at least 95mm underfoot when heading out to find pow stashes.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the pair from ER, Wetdog . I'm guessing we've met ;-)
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post
    FYI, if you're looking for something a little more backcountry oriented (less weight, better on steep chutes in the compact snow) try the Goliath Sluffs. A little smaller, but better for the up. I think my b/c setup next year will be Sluffs and Dynafit FT12s. That said, I remain tempted just to throw Dynafits onto a pair of Goliaths.

Movement also makes smaller and lighter skis too designed purely for b/c touring, but I have to admit, I like at least 95mm underfoot when heading out to find pow stashes.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the pair from ER, Wetdog . I'm guessing we've met ;-)
    I've been thinking about ditching my old Verdicts and getting a pair of Sluffs as well. At 160 lbs, I'm sure I *could* ski the full 191, but I'm not confident in my ability to not get completely worked by them. Especially since next season will likely be my biggest weekend warrior season ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

The Sluffs are great. A really nice go-to ski for a a not-so-big/aggro dude and/or a not so big ski hill
    "Unfortunately, Meadows mgmt/marketing found out about the PR stash and published it on their trail map."

I seriously considered the Sluffs for my BC ski but ended up going with the Praxis BCs instead. They are wider, longer, and weigh about the same as the Sluffs. No regrets, although I'm sure the Sluffs are sweet. I don't think Movement makes a bad ski.

i only have 6 days on mine but i absolutely love my goliath 191's.
    shasti's comments are right on, you can really adopt an aggresive, forward stance on these things and attack that fall line!!!

ps you don't have to be big to ski these things, just ski big!
    me: 5'9" 150#

In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

I originally bought my Goliaths for deep powder use only and found that for my weak powder technique, that Praxis Powders worked much better. That said, I sold my Goliaths, but really like the brand a lot, as I love my Thunders, that I have almost wore out and I am thinking I will go with some Sluffs instead of Thunders this next time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

A Charger!

The Goliathe is a great ski to rail around on, be it ice, powder, glop, refrozen, etc. They just like to go. They transition from one snow condition to another very well. They feel really solid under-foot. Not the ski to use when I'm with my kids. Reigning them in takes work. Not reigning them in equals losing the kids. Glades are a blast. Tight trees are fun, but expel a lot of energy. However, if you hit some icy sections in the trees, you can count on the edges holding on to your line. They make skiing crappy snow fun. In tight bumps, its best to GS through them. Its a nice ski to use when its real hard in the morning and real soft in the afternoon or when its dust or cement on crust. Not the ski to pull out when its all bumped out.
    To do list: Ski, Mtn Bike, Bodyboard or Skate?

I really love my Goliath 191's. they are my main ski for all conditions. the only time I pull out another ski is when it hasn't snowed for weeks - and even then I feel like the Goliath is the most stable, fun ski I have ever been on. You can do warp speeds just laying them on edge. When skiing with much slower skiers on groomers I prefer a carving ski just so I don't lose the other skiers.

In anything over 4" deep this ski really, really shines. Whether it is completely untracked or chopped to crap the Goliath powers right through. It can do anything from medium-short to straight-line without any flinching. The tip just does not dive. They are so confidence inspiring that I find myself going much faster than i have been comfortable in the past, and find myself skiing in tight trees more often.

I have always been a forward skier, so maybe that is why I like them so much. I bought and sold some Spats without ever feeling like I was comfortable on them. I convinced a friend and my 72 year old father to buy the Goliaths although they went with the Sluffs. Dad was wishing he had bought the 191 after 10-20 days on them. I have been skiing for 40+ years and have not had another ski that was this much fun.

Recent skis I have been on:
    Spatula
    Bro 179
    Bro 188

And, by a very large margin, the Goliaths are the most fun and most confidence inspiring. I really like the new 09/10 Rising Sun graphics and may have to buy another pair to have a backup.
    Last edited by Wandrin*; 05-31-2009 at 12:54 PM.