Moment Ruby-EC edition

Me-Expert, like to ski fast, hard, and be in the air as much as possible
    Ski-Moment Ruby 180 w/ Mojo 15s
    Conditions-Groomed, Ice cubes, man made pow, bumps, crud
    Skis I like-BROs, 179 Vicious,Titan 9, AR5, Legend Pro, Movement Thunder
    Skis I didnt like-Mantra, 169 Vicious, Blower

Construction-Bomber skis, very well made. Hit some rocks which barely even made a mark on the base. Topsheet does chip a little bit, but not bad at all. Could be taken care of by filing down the topsheet. As far as I can tell these skis will last me a while. VERY light.

The first thing I noticed when I got on them was how easy they were to ski. Felt effortless. Second thing is how lively they were...I felt like I had springs on my feet at times. Probably the most lively, fun ski I've ever been on. Rediculously fun to mess around on, but dont think they wont handle it when you want to charge.

Groomed-Wow...very impressed with these skis on the groomers. Put em on an edge and let em rip. They hold very well on the firm. Super fun, very lively, great rebound, all I can ask for. Ended up taking them through patches of ice cubes and once again I was very impressed. Felt like I was on a groomer. Tips did flop a little bit, but it wasnt very noticeable at all. Still very very fun.

Bumps- Actually I was quite suprised again. Obviously not the easiest ski in the bumps, but easily doable. After spending the whole day in mostly bumps my legs were burning, but it was still fun. Very easy to make quick turns and swing em around.

Man Made-Buttery smoove. Very surfy, fun feeling. So effortless, so peaceful. High speeds, no problem. The untracked didnt last very long. Got a mix of variable snow/crud after a while. Once again they plowed right through any junk in their way. If you want to pop of crud piles they will pop, if you want to plow through the crud, they will plow. Once again...effortless.

Bindings-Incase anyone is wondering I absolutely love these bindings as well. Even more so than Look/Rossi. Very solid step it. Locked in feeling. Pretty light for a 15 din binding. Took a high speed digger, released when they shouldve, never when they werent supposed to. Deffinately reccommended.

Overall I would give a 9.5/10.
    Summary: Stable at speed, lively, poppy, effortless, amazingly smooth, FUN. Everything I wanted/could ask for.

Cant wait to get them out on some pow and test them out in the trees. Let me know if theres anything else you want to know or have any questions...Will keep you guys updated as I ski them some more.
    Last edited by DePierre; 02-25-2008 at 05:46 PM.

Where'd you ski them in the East?

Ruby v Gotama

DePierre:

Can you compare them to a Gotama? It seems to be the ski I most often hear the Ruby compared to.

Any hookyness fron the square tip?

Quote Originally Posted by bennettc14 View Post
    Killington?

Moment Ruby-EC edition

similar report from the midwest. i received the skis recently and had to take them immediately even if only on man made groomers. the ruby does feel similar to my 05/06 183 goats on hardpack. the ruby is much lighter than the goat and little bit more lively/less damp but the skis carve well and scarve easily to create tight radius turns like my goats. fwit, the recommend mount ruby location is 2 cm forward of my goat mount which is a little forward of the sidewall marking.

Quote Originally Posted by bennettc14 View Post
    Killington

Quote Originally Posted by amatog View Post
    DePierre:

Can you compare them to a Gotama? It seems to be the ski I most often hear the Ruby compared to.

Any hookyness fron the square tip?
    Didnt feel any hookyness on the tip..Cant compare them to the Gotamas, except for flex wise they are pretty comparable. Maybe a tad softer than Gots.

The flex on the ruby is like the first generation gotama(not the new white/gold ones) in the tip and tail, and a little stiffer underfoot

Quote Originally Posted by bisnibble View Post
    The flex on the ruby is like the first generation gotama(not the new white/gold ones) in the tip and tail, and a little stiffer underfoot
    I was reffering to the 05/06 Gotamas..Not the new ones.

bisnibble nailed it. Real similar to the 1st gen Got. Softer tip and tail than the 05/06. Basically take the 1st gen Got, make the ski a little wider, and give it a little more sidecut. It'll slay pow and rail the groomed. I think it's pretty much my perfect ski.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Update 1: Took them up to Killington again...Generally hung out where there was snowmaking...lots of nice soft snow..started to get a little bumped up towards teh end of the day. Absolutely kill it in the soft snow and chopped up shit. Short turns, Medium turns, Long turns...High speed gs turns and straightlines through bumps no problem. Ended up hitting a few small 5 footers...easy landings no problem. Awesome. Later in the day I really started charging hard through all the bumped up shit and I discovered that this ski has dual personalities...One is fun, easy to ski, and poppy..the other is BEAST, damp, and stable at any speeds through any junk. I looked back up the hill after charging through some mounded up snow to see that these skis decided to create their own path and destroy everything in their way. AWESOME through this shit.

Update 2: Went up to Gore yesterday. 7 inches of fresh...Mainly hung out on the only trial with some pitch...which was awesome..lapped it up all day. Knee deep at the beginning of the day..but I would have never known if I wasnt standing in it at the base. The tips did not dissappear once. Stayed on tops..wicked smooth, super fun, floaty feeling. Later in the day got piled up snow everywhere. Bulldozer once again. Rediculously fun...combines a poppy feeling with dampness all at the same time. Take some air if you feel like it, or just bust right through, your choice. Played around on some little 3-8 foot drops and a jump while I was at it...Awesome once again..super stable awesome landing platform...Super poopy off the jump..No complaints. Awesome ski.

Updates on trees and deeper pow should be coming soon..I hope.

basically you love these skis so much you want to take 'em behind the middle school and get 'em pregnant, right?
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    basically you love these skis so much you want to take 'em behind the middle school and get 'em pregnant, right?
    Pretty much.

btw, those are Titan 8's in your picture, not Titan 9's (there's about a 6cm difference between the two...I know, I used to have the 8's (175cm) and moved up to the smaller 9's--181cm).

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    btw, those are Titan 8's in your picture, not Titan 9's (there's about a 6cm difference between the two...I know, I used to have the 8's (175cm) and moved up to the smaller 9's--181cm).

I know those are my dad's titan 8s...The other ones I skied were the blue 181 titan 9s with naxos.
    Last edited by DePierre; 12-04-2007 at 08:36 PM.

Maybe I missed it, but you rate the Mojo bindings right? Also, how have you mounted them (as in position.)

Nice right up. Makes me want to spend money I don't have.
    Not around much these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorey View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but you rate the Mojo bindings right? Also, how have you mounted them (as in position.)

Nice right up. Makes me want to spend money I don't have.
    Mounted at the preferred line.

Waiting anxiously for the tight tree skiing update...

Might have a new pair of Head skis for sale soon (depending on the Head warranty department).
    "Life's not a bitch. Life's a beautiful woman. You only call her a bitch 'cause she won't let you get that pussy." - Aesop

I've had my Ruby's out for a couple days in the young Tahoe season. Everything from hardpack groomers to short shots of untracked. Initial impression is they're super poppy, surfy, and stable. One of if not the most 'fun' ski I've been on... Hoping to get out a review w/ some other skis included if we get hit next week. Thanks for the write-up DePierre.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    Waiting anxiously for the tight tree skiing update...

Might have a new pair of Head skis for sale soon (depending on the Head warranty department).
    Update 3: Finally got them in some knee deep and trees...Best pow ski I've ever ridden. So smooth and buttery. Could not gt the tips to sink..Got one short run in the trees.Nice and quick...Too fun.. Hit a few rocks on the way down..Bases dont show anytihng more than a scratch.

Since the original few updates I have been on them a lot more..Had them up at magic and hit rocks, stumps, moss, grass, etc. Still no damage. Minor minor scratches..Bases are bomb proof. Still loving the ski.

DePierre,

You mentioned that the flex felt similar to the earlier generation Gotomas. Is taht still your impression after skiing these a bit more? You wouldn't compare these skis to the orginal Pocket Rockets...or other soft flexing skis. I'm considering these skis for the PNW and our heavier wet pow.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Toadman; 01-10-2008 at 02:10 PM.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    DePierre,

You mentioned that the flex felt similar to the earlier generation Gotomas. Is taht still your impression after skiing these a bit more? You wouldn't compare these skis to the orginal Pocket Rockets...or other soft flexing skis. I'm considering these skis for the PNW and our heavier wet pow.

Thanks.
    I havent skied/flexed pocket rockets, so I do not know..I would say hand flexed they are similar to the gotamas, but they have a lot more stability than the hand flex would suggest. Very fun ski..Im they would be a blast in heavier pow.

skied in heavy pow and they are, in fact, quite fun

mine will be here tomarrow