Page 10 of 252 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Top of Chair 23...Mammoth.

there were jibbers and cross country skiers in mt rose meadow as we drove thru about an hour ago...
    significantly more snow up there than i expected!

Now that it's snowing,* any North Tahoe folks wanna recommend a good place to pick up a cord or two of firewood?

These guys? http://laketahoefirewood.com/Prices.html

*Snow was sticking down to about 8500' on my way to work this morning.

I totally forgot about wood. I just searched and this seems pretty reasonable:

http://renocascadetreeservice.com/pickup_price_list.htm

okbye
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

Let's get this party started

Got the call just after 4 today that the daughter's soccer game had been canceled. Headed straight up to stagecoach lodge to hike until i got to the snow. I didn't have to go far.
    East Peak Lodge

I stopped about a third of the way up Orion due to impending darkness. The snow was perfect base material (which is good, cause my skis could use some base material).

On the way back, I tried to use the long exposure setting to capture some lightning. I guess i'm doing it wrong cause there were several strikes in the background during this shot. it's pretty good for resting on a ski pole though.

Freel sure looks to have good coverage. Anyone know if the gate is closed on the road up the backside (horsethief canyon i think). Might be up for that tomorrow.

Powdorks shots look waaay better than what I saw this afternoon/evening as my lady and I looked for turns all the way to Kirkwood. Even Carson pass didn't have as much as I would have thought. On the way back we noticed the backside of Freel looking as covered as the front side looked this am, but we detoured to Blue Lakes road rather than try the road up the backside. Found a few turns but not what we were hoping for-more rocks than pow for sure.Still fun, but looks like Heavenly got much better coverage although access to Freel could be where it's at...the pic below is the only one that came out as it was just about dark when we bailed

i was hoping you'd say that about freel's backside. not sure if we could get all the way back there as the snow starts about 8,000' and the road gets up to about 8,500'. close enough though.

i should also point out that heavenly had been up there at some point during the storm putting out the snowmaking guns on orion. they are hooked up and ready to go the temps drop and the air dries. if they could get 4 or 5 nights of good snowmaking to cover the water bars, they could open dipper chair. more likely their gonna blow some to make sure what they have stays. it would definitely make their normal opening easier.

and WOW! this is a big thunderstorm. (edit-according to the radar, it's raining to the top now.)

Tallac has a nice white glow this morning. Yipyaw!
    or don't

Driving over Mt. Rose last night at 7:30-8 was crazy. I had clear skies in Reno, then hail, then pounding rain, then pounding slush, then snow (from Galena Forest up), and there was constant lightning and thunder the whole time. It's felt apocalyptic.

Quote Originally Posted by RaccoonFace View Post
    I totally forgot about wood. I just searched and this seems pretty reasonable:

http://renocascadetreeservice.com/pickup_price_list.htm

okbye
    Thanks!

woo hoo... there's snow in them thar hills!
    “83.2% of people make up their own statistics.”—Unknown

...just had to...Mammoth this morning

Almost makes me want to get in the car and beat on some skis. Lucky for my skis I have appointments lined up.

Saaawwwweeeeet.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    ...just had to...Mammoth this morning

Looks like the early open for Mammoth if the sun doesn't get too harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Now that it's snowing,* any North Tahoe folks wanna recommend a good place to pick up a cord or two of firewood?
    The places that have been linked are very expensive. Seach reno.craigslist.com for "firewood" and you'll get many better/cheaper options.

Especially if you can pick them up...but remember, even a full-size longbed pickup can only fit a half cord in back, piled high, unless you've built it up as a stakeside.

I've actually found it handy to have a mix of softwood and hardwood...the pine catches fire much more easily and gets some heat going right away, while the hardwood burns most of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    The places that have been linked are very expensive. Seach reno.craigslist.com for "firewood" and you'll get many better/cheaper options.

Especially if you can pick them up...but remember, even a full-size longbed pickup can only fit a half cord in back, piled high, unless you've built it up as a stakeside.

I've actually found it handy to have a mix of softwood and hardwood...the pine catches fire much more easily and gets some heat going right away, while the hardwood burns most of the night.
    Thanks, Spats. I've got the pickup, but with a flipper for a right hand at the moment (broken wrist), I'm looking for someone who delivers.

Re firewood, I found a good source on Reno CL last season. I even still have the entry in my calendar. Unfortunately, it has a link to the CL ad, instead of the guy's phone number. D'oh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Saaawwwweeeeet.
    If there's a Mammoth premiere, bring some skis!
    not counting days 2016-17

Wow - glad I looked at this thread.... good to see snow sticking in Tahoe - b/c I was mad re: this storm for butchering LightRanger's and my plans to climb the East Buttress of Whitney.... oh well, beggers can't be choosers.

That is all.

^^^ And powdork wins. Just like last year if I recall correctly. :P

I'll add a couple of Powdork...

with a hell f'ing yeah for October 6th!

WTF?!?!? Seriously!? On Oct. 6th? Not bad gentelmen, not bad.
    'on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me,....which is nice!

NICE! Freel bowl looked money from SLT today.
    Looks like the goods were on the NW aspect? Just like last year's early October storm, it circled in from the east and treated the carson range with kindness.

now warm back up for another month.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post
    Wow - glad I looked at this thread.... good to see snow sticking in Tahoe - b/c I was mad re: this storm for butchering LightRanger's and my plans to climb the East Buttress of Whitney.... oh well, beggers can't be choosers.
    Different storms.

Sick photos powdork.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

went skiing all day today! so awesome! it sure feels good to be back on snow