Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWMD: Which New Powder Ski?

I want a pair of reverse-camber powder skis bad. But which ones? The local shop has a few ARGs coming in, plus plenty of Pontoons. I've put down a deposit, so I get my choice. So, options: ARGs, Pontoons, use my deposit for something else and order Lotus something from DP?

No way can I demo the ARGs-I don't think the two pair headed for the shop will last all that long. I read all the applicable threads, including:
    ARGs
    Pontoons
    DP 120s
    The shop owner skied the Pontoons last winter so he's pushing them over the ARGs. Not so many people have skied multiple different Spat-ish shapes.

Specifics- I'm in Seattle and I tour locally, but ski lift-served mostly at Whistler. 5' 11" and 170#. I don't ski all that fast by maggot standards.

I hear Praxis skis are SICK nasty.
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/showt...ghlight=praxis
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/showt...ghlight=praxis

There is a little bit of info on them I think.

DP 120s. Fo shooooo.
    Drive slow, homie.

how much are they selling the ARG's for? just curious. best of luck. i'm weighing the same options...

Dude. You know you want the Lotus. Too bad you don't tele or you'd know how they ski by now.

I want a pair of ARGs so bad...I hear they are amazingly light for the size they are and the ski that you get. And the sidecut underfoot sounds like a nice feature for getting back to the lifts. I'd wait 'till they come in and check them side-by-side, hand flex them (for what it's worth) and decide from there.
    ON3P
    "a simple equation:

force of impact + force of steeze = 0

the two negate each other. for Eric, stomping a 60 ft cornice switch is like jumping on a really soft hotel mattress." - NS member ChronicF explaining why Eric Pollard still has knees.

Shop wouldn't go below list = $800 on the ARGs. Probably could get a deal on Pontoons but not ARGs. Good for you if you're getting hookups for a ski with an initial run of 40 pairs. I guess that puts ARGs within $100 of Lotus 120s via Marshall.

ARGs are supposedly more versitile than Pontoons. Great in the deep stuff (as are pontoons) and also great in the cut up stuff, similar to spats and 138s. Plus the huge tips slap together. I cancelled the order on my pontoons and am getting ARGs. Unfortunately I won't be able to give my own review for about another week or two.

Waitaminnit - now that I think of it didn't you already ski on the Tablas in CH? I know you didn't like the Surreals especially with the problems you were having with those naxos, but I can't remember if the version 2 Tablas were there as well. That guy Bjorn was on them, but was there a pair mounted with AT bindings too?

Don't forget the 4frnt EHP 193s, and the Salomon reverse camber somethings that are supposed to come out sometime, someday.

And why the DP 120s, as opposed to the 130s? It seems like if you're going that far, just go all the way.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Between those three....

lotus, then ARG, then pontoon.

EHP would be sick, as would an igneous FFF
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Waitaminnit - now that I think of it didn't you already ski on the Tablas in CH? I know you didn't like the Surreals especially with the problems you were having with those naxos, but I can't remember if the version 2 Tablas were there as well. That guy Bjorn was on them, but was there a pair mounted with AT bindings too?
    I never rode the Tablas. After the factory-tuned Surreals tossed me off that cat track , I was sticking with my R:Exs.

As an early season purchase, the EHP 193s are not happening. Plus I shop-flexed the 190s and they are reasonably stiff. If the 193s are significantly stiffer, then they're stiffer than I need for powder skiing.

I think ARGs... The topsheet is cooler than the Pontoon, anyway.

ARG's fo Shizzle.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyskier View Post
    The topsheet is cooler than the Pontoon, anyway.
    You can never go wrong picking skis based on graphics
    "I dont hike.... my legs are too heavy"

Praxis skis are for REAL!!!!

I skied a pair of the praxis prototypes last season and I was highly impressed...so impressed that I purchased a pair this season!!!! They put the Spatula's to shame....if the spatula's were a car they'd be a doge Viper....fast, heavy and no handling....the Praxis would be a Carrera GT; super fast, stable, light, turn on a dime or you can point em straight down the mountain @ downhill speeds and be super stable!!!!! They are much easier to handle in non-powder and groomer situations than the spatula's as well!!! In my opinion you cannot purchase a better pow ski, I highly suggest looking into a pair....There is info on this site if you wanna pair....I do believe they are selling real quick too!!!!

I agree Praxis is by far the best constructed and thought out design this year

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonskis420 View Post
    I agree Praxis is by far the best constructed and thought out design this year
    ha ha ha ha. nice blanket statement.

anyhow,

praxis: most bang for the buck
    pontoon: ...meh...
    EHP: prolly more ski than you need if you are not a super fast skier.
    ARG: might as well just get praxis - its the same ski, better made, for less money.
    lotus: you have read my reviews. they rock.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    ha ha ha ha. nice blanket statement.

anyhow,

praxis: most bang for the buck
    pontoon: ...meh...
    EHP: prolly more ski than you need if you are not a super fast skier.
    ARG: might as well just get praxis - its the same ski, better made, for less money.
    lotus: you have read my reviews. they rock.
    Marsh, was I wrong in thinking the praxis had no sidecut underfoot? Doesn't the ARG have a little somethin somethin to get you back to the lifts/traverse?

$800 for ARG's or just a bit more for some DP's?

Shouldn't even be a contest. Get yourself some 120's or 138's.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Marsh, was I wrong in thinking the praxis had no sidecut underfoot? Doesn't the ARG have a little somethin somethin to get you back to the lifts/traverse?
    i can't remember if the ARG is flat or not, but a little flat under foot with rocker will help traversing, but i really don't think that 1-2mm of sidecut is going to do shit traversing. the reason spats traversed out like shit was b/c the weighed 1000lbs.

What's with the pontoon hate? Who here has skied it? What makes the ARG so much better, besides Tanner and all the Armada hype? I skied mine yesterday and had a fucking blast. No tip-slap problems, and they didn't delam.

And if you really, really look at it, the Pontoon and the ARG are pretty much the same thing - the 'toon is not a strict pintail shape, but rather has a moderate sidecut just like the ARG. Look at it - it tapers underfoot, and widens again to the bottom floatplane, and then tapers back to the tail. The big difference is that the ARG gets narrower towards the tip, and the Pontoon doesn't.

If I still lived somewhere that it snowed I would've bought the praxis by now. I'm a sucker for a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    the reason spats traversed out like shit was b/c the weighed 1000lbs.
    Your use of the past tense is confusing to me.

The reason the spat traversed like shit was because it was weighted poorly, now all these new skis have improved on the traversing by just equaling the weight out on the tips and tails, except the pontoon that has huge heavy tips and light tails.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    No tip-slap problems, and they didn't delam.
    Don't worry, just give it a few more days.

I am sure they are super fun, but they just are not as pivotalicious as the true reverse/reverse shape skis. IMHO pontoons vs. (Spat, Praxis, Arg) are two different ways to look at pow skis.

Pontoons = skidalicious
    Spatula & friends = pivotalicious with skidalicious on the side