Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

South Tahoe Road Jump

I'd been checking out this road gap for a couple of years. When I heard about the monster dump of snow the week before the summit, I was optimistic it would be on. It's located on the 88 between Carson Pass and Caples Lake. Has anybody heard whether it's been hit before? The warm weather in the week leading up to the summit destroyed the LZ...

http://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...dgapsmall1.jpg

http://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...dgapsmall2.jpg

Damn "destroyed" is actually being kind
    "Do the interns get Glocks ? "

Thumbs up

That is not little. Looks like you'd have enough of an in-run to clear it, but the landing looks a little flattish. That could be camera angle though.

Don't know if it's been done, but it would require a high level of insanity to be attempted . . .

What do you say? Flanker? Hardrider? Tyrone? PhUnk? MD9? BakerBoy? Skier666?

holy crap that's burly....I rarely drive from that direction and thus, have never spotted this before. Props to Roo for living overseas and bringing it to our attention! Damn, it does look do-able in the pic with that in-run. yeah, I'd be curious to how steep the landing zone really is.

edit, nevermind, need to read, smoke crack then post

You first Ty and I'll follow......maybe
    Revenge is like the sweetest joy next to gettin pussy

Talking

Originally posted by flanker769
    You first Ty and I'll follow......maybe
    fack that....I'm hoping splat will step up to be the test dummy....his name is splat after all

Thumbs up

Holy hell. That thing looks pretty damn burly. And yet so tantalizing as well. Good eye roo. Tahoe mags, scope the landing on that sucker. A trip north might be in order.

Holy crap... That's a gap and a half. I dunno, I'd be wary about the flatish landing and the short run in, but its hard to tell from a picture...
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

Every time I've driven through there I've wondered. The main rock uphill looks like it sticks out enough, and at the right angle, to be able to clear the road. I also noticed the landing zone is nice and steep and there aren't any trees to navigate for aways downhill. I figured I wasn't the only one that visualized it.

Of course, this is all hypothetical.

Exclamation

Inrun looks a bit short, fellas.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

That is big, big, big.

I think the LZ there is actually steeper than the camera would have you believe, but the whole slope below the road is littered with huge rocks, which you can't really see on the pic.

I don't know anything about what is doable, but, driving past there several times a week, i would guess that is bigger and sketchier than just about any road gap i have seen in ski movies.

I haven't dropped anything more that ten or fifteen feet this year, so I'm speaking out of turn.

It may be stating the obvious and it may be the camera angle; but, I would think that the jump would best be approached at an angle. The transition from the inrun to the point of take off looks like it would be quite a compression at the speed required to clear the gap. Approaching at an angle also adds distance to the required trajectory. Does that make the landing even more suspect?

Let us know how it goes . . . . Splat.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Originally posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    fack that....I'm hoping splat will step up to be the test dummy....his name is splat after all
    I've eyeballed that sucka more than once. And was looking at it hard after that last storm. And I was looking for someone named Ty or hardrider or 666 to guinea pig it. I already earned my name.

alright, i will go ahead and nominate hardrider. he has already gotten in more days this years than any of the rest of us will by the end of the season.

the explosivs of mine he is using are starting to delam and the sillymon's have cracked.

it is a minor medical miracle that he can walk on those appendages he calls 'feet'.

I mean, WTF has he got to lose?

Come on dude, sack up and hit that shit!

Doctors orders, hr.
    It's the only way to be certain that bulging disc will make it to summer.

And we know a good radiologist who'll be able to tell you exactly what you broke. Maybe BMC will even sponsor the attempt?
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

Dude - didn't you already die once this year?

Originally posted by splat
    Dude - didn't you already die once this year?
    should be no problem then, he's already got practice.

Originally posted by Bullet
    I'll do it. Need help prepping the in-run. Needs to be like a nordic hill to clear the gap. Gelandesprung style - weeee.
    cool. hardrider you are off the hook.

bullet, i am working this weekend. i will warm up the cat scanner and have a surgical and anesthesia team ready.

Originally posted by Bullet
    I'm scheduled for shoulder surgery on the 12th, so if we time it right, I can reduce the hospital bills.
    We can prolly get one of the orthopedic surgeons to fix your shoulder while the general surgeon removes your shattered spleen.

Thumbs up

I was checking that exact same spot out, bouncing around like a spaz in the jeep on the way home from Kirkwood. No camera at the time though.

Next winter we'll get after, eh?
    vapor lock - bitch.

Hate to say it, but based on the pictures I kind of hope no one ever steps up to this one (especially none of youse guys). Too many memories of people like Brett Carlson coming up short.
    Good chance of getting permanently (or fatally) injured, methinks.
    [quote][//quote]