Thread: I Am Very Upset

I Am Very Upset

After the big Christmas gift we got, I am compelled to conduct some major pissin and moanin as the result of a couple occurrences I either witnessed or was informed of regarding skiing in the last few days.

First:

On our last run of the day on Christmas, hardrider and I cranked down the Palisades ropeline, arcing some of the most enjoyable pow GS turns I've done since Las Lenas. When I got near the bottom of the slope where we had to pick our way through the trees, I dropped into a gully and popped out onto the small ridge next to it and stopped, expecting hardrider to be right behind me.
    When I didn't see him, I figured he'd be bustin down the slope soon, so I whipped out my camera to get a shot for the boards.
    He didn't come.

So I started screaming for him so I could direct him onto a clean ridge for the shot. I hollered a number of times. No answer. I waited. Suddenly, I hear heavy breathing and see his head in the gully. He's looking a little flushed and breathing very heavy. Turns out he came into the gully, went down and was buried by his sluff. Luckily, he managed to get out, but not without that moment of panic that comes when you're not sure you'll make it. I could have turned my transceiver to search, but one transceiver does not a location make.

Second:

After spending yesterday nursing my extra-stretched muscles and aching bones, I phone Punani for a report. He tells me he rode an avie in-bounds in Eagle Bowl. I ask if he has a transceiver. Nope.
    Two in-bounds incidents that could have resulted in good friends dying. Two incidents where I could have been the one buried and my friends would likely have not been able to locate me due to a frugality in their budgets that will eventually cost a life unless they stay on groomers. I posted on this issue at the start of the season because I didn't want to have to ream assholes about it after something bad happened. So I have only two things to say:
    1. SLIDES AND BURIALS OCCUR INBOUNDS.
    2. WTF IS WITH YOU GUYS NOT HAVING NOT ONLY TRANSCEIVERS, BUT ALSO SHOVELS AND PROBES IN YOUR PACKS?

I am seriously considering PM Gear carrying some high quality transceivers, probes, and poles at a super-low markup so you guys will buy one. I hate it when my ski partners die and I have to continue to get the goods without them. Let me know if you'd like to exchange your living wills for a willingness to live and I'll do my best to create the best avie gear deal on the net.

-splat

Originally posted by Dexter Rutecki
    Splat, did you have a shovel/probe with you? Do you usually?
    Hypocritically enough, I was wearing my transceiver, but in the rush to hit the chair, I forgot my pack with shovel and probe in the car for the first time this season. Which is just freakin weird, as I always remember it primarily for the water and spare goggles, which I could have used that day as well.

In a nutshell....

I just don't want any of my friends with whom I spend a fair amount of time skiing (and talking ski safety) with coming up dead. Something like that, especially if remotely preventable, is the last thing I'd ever want to see posted on this board.

edit: TJ please email twoplanker@pmgearusa.com for that link. And thank you for trying to get it going.

Originally posted by rightcoast
    H0ly shit, im glad to hear everyone is Ok after your all the activity this weekend.
    I know now that I am going to buy a tranciever before the utah mini for sure. i cant think of a better way to spend christmas cash than keeping myself and my friends alive.
    Now get out there and get some for me, but be smart and safe!!
    Nice to hear, rightcoast. Your response is exactly what I hoped would come out of my concerns. Because I took the time to take a CPR class a couple times, I was once able to save someone's life with those skills. I find the similarity in preparedness very comparable. Thanks for your input, sarge. Appreciated and always most welcome. Fiddler- stay safe, bro. I hear the avie danger is quite high up there now.

Originally posted by Dexter Rutecki
    Dead people don't ski too much. Or do a lot of other things.
    retail- $325.00, ONLY $169.95 !

The poly shovel concerned me, but I also mistook the transceiver for one of the newer models in my quick read on this, so I must pull any recommendation on this Wilderness combo.