Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thumbs up Kirkweed insanity 11-15-2003

"OOOOOORRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHRRRGHHH!!!!"

"WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"

"yyyyyyyyYYYYEAAAAAHHHHH!!!"

"FUCKIN' SWEEEEEET!!!!!!"

Screams of joy echoed throughout the parking lot. It was Kirkweed's opening day with midwinter powpow conditions.

Big fat light dry flakes were falling, chairs were turning and crowds were nonexistent. My longest wait for a chair today took all of 2 seconds.

The maggots were everywhere at first- some in the office stuck in the pass line, others getting some- no, make that a lot off Sentinel Bowl and Monty's. Pow pow was untracked, rocks clearly visible and legs were burning after two runs.

10am- a squirm of maggots met up at chair 6. Me, Sobchak, Arty, Spatters, Tyrone, skier666, Legoskier, OffAxis, the new guy (Brad- forgot his maggot name) , lph, Britney and BC-FLOW, with some random appearances by tcohee, SSSDave, NSANA and Ahnold. Shit, did I leave anyone out? First few runs were asshauling pow speed runs down Sentinel, exploring through the trees for knee deep fresh, trying to gauge the rock situation.

2nd run as a group- skier 666 steps it up a notch and drops a sweet line through ski school chute by little Jims. Perfect runout, more exploration in the trees...found a shitload of good light knee deep stashes OOORRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! down to the gullies and trees, back to 6.

Next run everyone's hitting the chute. Drop in, turn, mach at the bottom and speed burn thru the powder. With a crew of 10+ maggots shit got tracked up pretty fast,. 666 billygoats a hairy line, then once again everyone disappears in the trees, heard yet unseen. Hoots of stoke and maniacal laughter echoed down chamoix, oops and poops and the gullies and tree runs, punctuated by "ROCK!!!", "AH SHIT! CORE SHOT!!" , "*crunch* FUUUUUCK!!!"

http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic15269.jpg
    (Pic: Shoe laughs at Arty as Arty looks for his ski. Meanwhile 666 and Spatters look from above. 666 billygoated the rockline.

All the runs blurred together. The powder was eaten up and we'd meet at 6 to do it all over again. The best stashes were the ones that had hungry sharks lurking beneath the surface, eagerly waiting the chance to chomp a bite out of your skis, but it was totally worth it.

As with opening days, the crew dispersed around lunchtime. some off to the bar, others on a food mission. The breakaway crew who insisted on skiing were me, skier666 and spatters- the Three Stooges, if you will, with an unhealthy disregard for the base of their skis. After a final speed run through the tracked-out ski school chute we decided to go exploring.

(You maggots who had lunch then spent the day lapping up 5- you may want to stop reading now )

---------------------------------------------------------

2pm-4pm All-you-can-ski Powder Buffet

Skier666 led the way, ducking through trees and sniffing out the untracked.

We found an untracked steep face at [CENSORED]. He drops in, then I traverse to the untouched section, and ripped the shit out of a steep pow line, billowing smoke, face shots. Spatters went off to the trees and scored good shit too. At the bottom we're all salivating for more. It was after lunch and the mountain was all ours. OURS! Did you hear me? OURS!!! ALL OURSS!!! MOO-HOOOHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic15270.jpg
    (Pic: Kirkweed Chair 6 after lunchtime)

Each run was more adventurous than before. We'd recon different lines, get whole runs of untracked knee deep light fresh without any rocks then do it all over again.

http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic15271.jpg
    (Pic: Skier666 takes us to the goods)

I lost count of how many perfect runs we've had. It felt like we were the only 3 people left in the entire planet and all that mattered was getting our fix.

Each run was better than the one before as we discovered longer better stashes. What surprised me is that having skied Kirkwood for 8 years, I didn't know this stash existed. It was like finding buried treasure. The entry was totally sketch with narrow tree lines, sharp turns and rocks. That was the hardest part. It was well hidden, and we're going to hit that up again tomorrow.

666 found a huck, spatters and I chose a sharktooth infested entry, straightlined the first part then arced pow pow through the tree section.

We were tired, but we tapped into our untapped energy saved for powder days. Spatters said it the best: "It's like eating- you have a food stomach and a dessert stomacn...you always have energy for powder!"

3 o'clock went by. Each run brought us further out as we milked every last bit of fresh. 666 bailed. Me and Spatter hit it up again, but fatigue was setting in. The gnar access trail should not be skied tired. I ended up tucking through some sections, slamming into rocks and trees...but fuck it...must....ski....POW!

http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic15273.jpg
    (Pic: Our stash)

3:45. Spatters is out. I am ready to collapse, but the lifts are still turning, and I know I can milk just one more....just one more. Like a junkie waiting for his next hit, I got on the chair one more time.

Last bit of energy for my last run. shoulder check...no one. Ducked a rope to ski the other side of the forbidden zone, hit the trees then straightlined the last section, maching through the trees trying to make as least amount of turns as possible and got more face shots and untracked. Raced the last bottom half against closing time but I got to 6 as Patrol closed it. "Sorry man! We'll see you tomorrow "

Found the guys at the bar. The shit eating grin on my face must have said it all, since they all looked at me with facial expressions that said "Shut up man! We don't want to hear about it!". Looks like Spatters already beat me to it.

http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic15272.jpg
    (Pic: The scary looking author)
    Last edited by Superstar Punani; 11-18-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Opening Day failed to suck.

Crew was in full effect. Some was gotten. And skier666 is a goddam mountain goat. I mean, the lines he "skis" are basically big rocks with enough powdered sugar on them to maybe cover a couple of donuts.

Injury tally: 1 tweaked shoulder, 1 sprained thumb. Very low score considering the conditions...we live to fight again.

Edit: in case it isn't clear, HELL YEAH. Just think: with any luck we've got SIX MONTHS of skiing ahead of us.

Sweet. See you guys next week.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

I can really say that today was....

AWWWWWWESSSOOOOOMMMME!

Good to meet up with the maggots I got a chance to meet. Hopefully, next time I'll be able to keep up a little better. Ohhhh my quads!
    I froze your tears and made a dagger. - David Brent

Damn you, Punani. [/jealousy]
    [quote][//quote]

Talking

I can't wait to ski with yous guys at Tahoe in a few weeks ! ! !

Yeah, well fuck you guys! [/extreme jealousy] No really mang, sick post, way to get the blood rushing. See all y'all next weekend.

Thumbs up

Bump for a sick fucking thread.

Great post supu.

WOW!!!! What a day, powder on opening day, a steady snowfall while making turns, a great crew. It really all came together.

It is 1:30am, what is left of the crew is in my living room, watching FOCUSED, most are still awake, Punani is asleep while the soundtrack continues to blare.

What a great opening night party! Shots of tequila, flaming shots of Sambuca, lots of beer and wine, lots of food. (pics and video to follow).

More to be gotten tomorrow.

Kirkwood is ............dumb and ShORTt.

Fukkin' MINI GOLF.

get over it.
    Last edited by Ted Stryker; 11-16-2003 at 03:46 AM.

FKN-A!!!

Nice work, geezers. It's tearing me up to think that my Kirkwood pass goes live and I'm stuck over here...

fick yo roo
    we be tain u down this year.

siiiickkkkkky sick muther.

BARK like a SLED DOG!!!!!

you can do it. bithhhch,

Ted - Yes. You most likely will. You are a much better skier than me. Everyone on the board who's skied with you will attest to this. Hell, you only need to look at the photographic evidence of you dropping 80-footers in East Vail to know you're operating on a different plane to me. Pinner, Duph and SheRa couldn't even SEE you, never mind keep up at Wolf Creek the other day.

You are truly the mang.
    Last edited by bad_roo; 11-16-2003 at 05:05 AM.

yer fuckin slayin me.....

sounds like a super nice day and a great start to a long year, great stokepost supu with a major maggot infestation... fuckin bastards!

Go

This is fucking bullshit!!!! I Just got finished with a 16 hour shift at work and have to get some sleep so I can go back in 6.5 hours and do it all over again but I decided to read this garbage first. Now my head is filled with images of deep pow-pow and theres no way Im gonna be able to sleep. Daaaaaaaaaammmmmn you Punani. Guess Ill have to go watch Immersion first.
    ________
    video reviews
    Last edited by hardrider; 01-24-2011 at 10:46 PM.

Thumbs up

Damn. Way to get after it.

I can't wait until they let us off the groomers.

Thumbs up some = gotten

That looks sooooo sweet, almost as good as opening day at Kmart......not

awesome write-up

Lightbulb

uuurrrggghhhrgghhhh. the room is still spinning.

flaming sambuca shots, tequila, beer, sake, wine, vodka and other alcoholic delights flowed freely at lph's party last night.

pics are in the "random pics" section.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/usergalleries/

Thanks for hosting a great opening season and movie premiere party lph! Perfect end to a perfect day.

so, who's going skiing today?

Now THAT is a fucking post - Thanks for sharing, Su-Pu!
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

the party review....

fun fun fun fun.

Even though I couldn't partake in the snow festivities, last night's party was an absolute blast. Love the pix, Pu. I've got some good ones on my camera that I'll be adding later. I particularly like the ones with Britney, me and you - our houseboy.

Some highlights:

lph nearly getting his lips burned trying to do his third flaming shot (nothing like letting a couple of drunk people near your mouth with a flame. Hmmmm...note to self....)

DJSapp literally CHUGGING from a tequila bottle. I've NEVER seen that (and I've seen a lot).

Arty's cherry struedel (and no, that's not a euphemism - get your minds out of the gutter). Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The moment when I realized I had actually been a tester for the PM Gear gloves 4 years ago. How bizarre is that.

And of course, the movie. The movie ROCKED! lph, your academy award is waiting! Course, there wasn't nearly enough footage of me, but we can work on that for Maggotwood II.

and meeting a bunch maggots I hadn't met before was a total blast. AND THERE WERE SOME MAGGETTES EVEN! And you're all so cool - I had a great time hanging with the chicks. Glad that our numbers are growing!

(oh, and how did lph's 1:30 am post sound so coherent? amazing, considering the 3 flaming shots, and more)

Can't wait till the next time!
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

Hella yeah! Stokeamuthfakalicious.

Originally posted by Punani
    pics are in the "random pics" section.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/usergalleries/
    Looks fun! Anyone want to caption some of these photos so we know who the various maggots are? I've seen Punani and Splat in enough pictures to recognize them right away.