Kalaulau trail TR

aloha once again. Due to an extremely dry December and then the heaviest rains of the year, our trip through the jungle on Na Pali Coast was thwarted due to this:

Word made its way down the trail quickly the river was impassable and wasn't worth it. THe second couple we ran into exclaimed, "You're looking at death right in front of you." Had to see it for myself.

Some people crossed just before the river raised another foot and they were already at chest deep hanging onto a luandry line someone threw up to get these people across. One guy who has river experience carried everyone's packs across the river, risking his own life 5 times, and he didn't even have to cross since he was on the Ha'Ena side.

We crossed paths with the first part of the group higher up on the trail not knowing what some of these people went through, though they really didn't have to. I was laughing my ass off because it was raining the hardest of the hardest all day and i was in a different state of mind. One lady who almost lost a hold of the rope, therefore would have been swept into the Pacific turned vehemently to me and said "What are you laughing at? Dont' you know we just risked our lives ?"

Didn't realize what they had been through until we got a first hand report of somebody who watched the experience. She was hanging onto the line by one hand trying to regian her balance. She indeed saw death.

But then the sun broke down low, still nuking up top, so we had some time to relax and dry off a bit.

and saw another one of these:

to come back to this:

When i said it was raining, it was and this was 'light rain '

But for th emost part, life was good

Sailing and swimming with dolphins
    There's a world out there full of color, dreams, and imagination. What are you waiting for?

and one more

mahalo
    There's a world out there full of color, dreams, and imagination. What are you waiting for?

Thanks for the pictures Stoy. The beaches look awesome right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Stoysluttie1
    aloha once again. Due to an extremely dry December and then the heaviest rains of the year, our trip through the jungle on Na Pali Coast was thwarted due to this:

Dude, you coulda landed that switch and ridden it into the forest

Holy shit! That river is usually a couple inches deep and barely moving when we go through. Must have been some heavy rains. How was the surf near Hanakapai? Last March there were constant 30-40' peaks in the waves coming to shore. Nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by skibe
    The beaches look awesome right now!
    and you call yourself a skier? get outta here kook!!!

p.s. nice pix Stoyboy
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Quote Originally Posted by iskibc
    [IMG] How was the surf near Hanakapai? Last March there were constant 30-40' peaks in the waves coming to shore. Nasty.
    put it thsi way, between all the rain, the river and the tides, it was the MOST VIOLENT environments I have ever witnessed. The enitre time it sounded like jet planes crashing into the cliffs while standing next to a plane ready to take off. The noise was amazing. i'm a bad estimator at things but those waves were huuuuge, maybe 30', maybe more. Whatever they were, it sure as hell was scary.

Even the most veteraned hikers there were like hell no, i ain't crossing that thing.

Thumbs up

I like your style. Do it and do it all!

Very nice pictures and write up.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

wow...Hawaii can be a very powerful place. I depart for Maui on saturday. your pics just got me extra stoked. need to make the napali coast trip sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Xover
    and you call yourself a skier? get outta here kook!!!

p.s. nice pix Stoyboy
    shit, I would take that beach for a couple days with no problems. I have more days on snow right now than I had this time last year or the year before that but the down side is 99 percent of those days have been spent ripping sunnyside a new one with the occasional supreme trips . The upside is my seven year old is looking really good and loving AYE and my four year old is holding his own. Im grooming them to be rockstars like you someday only a little less volume !

Did the hike 6 years ago with my wife. Cool as hell. Spent 4 days at Kalalau with only two naked hippies and the coastal trail crew (really cool locals). It is a burley trail, FKN beautiful! Named the dog Na Pali.

Catch a sailboat out of Nawiliwili harbor to any other island on your way out and it will blow you away. Just ask around.

Thanks for the memories . An awesome place when you hit it with minimal crowds. which it sounds as though you did.

Hung out there for a couple of weeks a coupla years ago. I loved it when out of the bushes a goat bolts, being chased by a local. The local catches it in the dry sand (goats pointy feet not good for running in the sand) , stuffs its head in the sand and suffocates it. The tourists from Kansas standing 20 feet away were horrified. I told them "a mans gotta eat". They were dumbfounded and stood aghast as he dragged it back to his camp. The locals eat the semi-wild goats that inhabit back there. I still chuckle thinking about it.

Thanks for sharing.
    Team Fingering the Bean

looking for the women who takes the wheel when I'm seeing double

refreshing pics, Stoy. mahalo for sharing.