Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Berthoud Pass

Berthoud Pass

Dear Friends,

On February 23, 2005 the US Forest Service held an open house to present a proposal for a trailhead project at the summit of Berthoud Pass. The open house included representatives from the Forest Service, the Continental Divide Trail Alliance (CDTA), as well as architectural renderings presented by Boulder-based Shapins Design Associates. We have made the documents from the meeting available on our website here:

http://www.berthoudpass.org/story.cfm?storyid=18&sec=f

Comments on the proposal will be accepted until March 11, 2005. We strongly encourage the public to participate in this process. For more information on our reaction to the proposal as well as instructions on how to submit your own comments please follow the link below.

http://www.berthoudpass.org/story.cfm?storyid=7&sec=m

If you have questions or comments that will assist us drafting our official position, please let us know.

Thanks again for your continued support.

See ya at the Pass!

Regardless of your whether you agree or disagree with FOBP's stance on the current proposal, this is your last time to comment. As backcountry skiers, we need to voice our concerns to the Forest Service. Trust me, there are plenty of folks in support of a management plan you are not in favor of. Please take a few minutes to write a brief letter to the FS and let them know what you think.

Yup. There were at least two people at the Open House whose eyes lit up at the mention of a tubing concessonaire at the Pass. Their unbridled glee caused me more than slight nausea and cemented my belief that FOBP's mission is a righteous one.

Thanks for taking the time to check out the plans on the FOBP website and sharing your thoughts with the Forest Service.

The public comment period on the USFS proposal ends this week, and at that time I'm afraid the opportunity for public input into the future development plans at the Pass may come to an end.

It's important to voice and share your opinions and concerns, and we strongly encourage you to take a moment to contact the USFS with your thoughts.

Follow the BerthoudPass.org links above and you'll be directed to a simple online comment form.

Apologies in advance if bumping this thread so many times comes off as spammy.

Thanks again for your support!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

Even if you don't ski there, even if you've never skied there, even if you don't ever PLAN on skiing there, we could still use your supportive words to the effect of please keep the spirit and legacy of backcountry recreation alive at Berthoud Pass.

Berthoud Pass is special and deserves the concern.

If you need help phrasing your comments, we'd be happy to help. Either contact us here on this thread, or at fobp_info@yahoo.com

Cheers.

Done.67890
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I've skied there and want to make sure I can ski there again.

Comment being sent as we speak.
    A gay-rage full of toys. You can guess em.

agree with fobp

I've read over the USFS proposal, and your organizations reaction and agree with the concerns and suggestions you've voiced, especially that there are other places better suited for tubing than the summit of berthoud. I too would like to ski there in the future.

Cool picture, Lurch!

Just another reminder that the public comment period is ending very soon.

Q: what's da email to send them to?
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Thanks, LB. Sorry about that.

BerthoudPass.org was hacked the other day and some of our pages seem to be corrupted.

You can email your comments to: dmickley@fs.fed.us

Be sure the subject line says something about the Berthoud Pass Trailhead Proposal, and if you care to, reference your support of FOBP's position.

Be sure to include your real name, address etc. or else the comments may not be included in the public record.

Submission has been submitted.

done and done
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

done. 67890

What exactly is FOBP's position? It doesn't seem to be easily found on your site.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

http://berthoudpass.org/story.cfm?storyid=7&sec=m

I'm sure pinner or hev can post our letter that we submitted here shortly

Quote Originally Posted by Telenater
    What exactly is FOBP's position? It doesn't seem to be easily found on your site.
    bottom of the front page, no?

What exactly is FOBP's position?
    I think that's a bit too forward, really. What people do in the privacy of their own homes is their business.

I don't see anything about out of staters commenting, so umm, I'm gonna.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley
    I think that's a bit too forward, really. What people do in the privacy of their own homes is their business.

I don't see anything about out of staters commenting, so umm, I'm gonna.
    You pay taxes. You can comment.

Email sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles
    Not to be counter productive, but that's just a list of areas of concern. Calling that a formal position is a bit much.

A position would state clear goals, points of disagreement with the proposal being reviewed, or provide concrete suggestions.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

A position would state clear goals
    Continued public recreational access
    Preservation of environmental resources

points of disagreement.
    Potential reduction in parking
    "Suburban" style landscaping
    Poor winter pedestrian access management
    No specific plan for lodge removal

concrete suggestions
    Scale down the landscaping aspect of the project
    Maximize parking
    Maintain a more rustic look and feel
    Include a basic shelter for safety and SAR needs
    Ensure free access

I'm sure this does not address all your concerns Nate. Feel free to e or PM me if you have any additional questions. The proposal itself is still very general in nature and as such so has been our response. The proposal is slated to go through various iterations and FOBP fully expects to have a seat at the table when further detail is developed.

if you don't have someone to do it with, it's not worth doing

Thumbs up thanks FOBP

email sent. big props to the FOBP for stepping up and representing concerned BP users. you have the play the USFS game if you want to have any say in our "public" lands, and it really helps to be organized. thanks again, you guys.
    to all my friends, it's not the end
    the earth has not swallowed me yet