Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MPC #12: Unusual Perspective 2/27-3/12

The topic is "unusual perspective". What I have in mind for this topic is to make some images from viewpoints that you don't commonly see.

Just to get the creativity going...

This may mean you have to tape the camera to your chest...

Info:
    Used my homemade chest harness found here: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...=chest+harness

I don't have access to the EXIF data because I'm away from home, but from what I remember...
    Camera in Tv (shutter priority) mode and played around with shutter speeds between 1/15 and 1/60th. I think I settled on 1/30th for my my speed which gave me the right amount of motion blur while keeping distance subjects clear. See foreground of pic for example.

I boosted the ISO to 1600 because it was low light at dusk.

Zoom ring on lens was taped at 10mm.

Used a cheap e-bay remote trigger that I had in my mouth and would trigger with my tongue.

Or hoist it up a tree and let it spin...

Info: Again, don't have access to original EXIF.
    Camera in Tv (shutter priority), and playing with shutter speeds between 1/15 and 1/125 I think.
    ISO don't remember maybe 400?
    Camera was tied to a string, with a loop around the lens, and tied so that the lens would point down when hanging. I put the lens in manual focus mode, and pre-focussed to what I though was about the correct distance to me when it was hoisted up the tree. Camera tied to the string was spun around to get the rope twisted. I then used the 10 second timer function and started it as I hoisted it up the tree. Lots of trial and error on this one.

So, get the camera away from your eye in an innovative way. Can't wait to see what you all come up with.

The Rules:

1. Photos must be taken within the time period of the contest.

2. You may submit 3 photos during the competition.

3. The contest moderator will choose 5 of the photos to put in a poll for the mags to vote on and decide the winner.

4. The winner will get a happy feeling in his/her pants. (That is a rule by the way not an option)

5. Winner will be the contest starter/moderator for the next comp.

Contest Closes 3/12/08
    Last edited by Junker; 03-05-2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: added photo info

Let's kindly ask that no one tape a camera to their foot and take upskirt photos of ugly chicks

Heh... I've got a bunch of shots like the above bike photo from the past week, courtesy of the same setup I used to get my losing "Depth" image.

I'll try and find the best one and post it up.

ok, here's one. But I guess it's ineligible since it's pre-contest. Nevermind.
    Last edited by hop; 02-29-2008 at 06:20 PM.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

EDIT - Eyeball in picture is my own, and I used the micro-focus function (MF) to capture the image. Camera used was a Canon A630 which has an LCD screen that flips around 90 degrees. With the camera upside down and the screen visible to my sight, I was able to adjust the MF accordingly.

Shutter speed: 1/160
    Aperture: 4.1
    ISO: 100
    Focal length: 7.3mm
    Last edited by Nick Pappagiorgio; 03-05-2008 at 06:45 PM. Reason: added description of how picture was captured

I'll have to break out that suction cup camera mount......

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
    Let's kindly ask that no one tape a camera to their foot and take upskirt photos of ugly chicks
    Good looking chicks are OK tho.....
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Not too unusual for me to wake up head on a textbook looking at my keyboard with TGR up...

Arrow Close to the action

I gotta laugh at the dirty lens. My Homey animated this sequence without the touch-up. Makes it feel like it's from a video camera. It was a 20D with a Canon 15mm. Classic graybird ice coast.
    Last edited by Baconzoo; 03-04-2008 at 08:07 PM.

What do all of you think about adding detailed info on how the image was captured for each of our entries? If the main focus is for us to become better photographers (If it's about the prize money, can someone tell me where to pick up my cash???), how better for each of us to progress than to learn from each other. You cannot teach creativity, but having some technical info is a good start.

I'll kick things off. Edited OP with detail on captures.

Quote Originally Posted by Junker View Post
    What do all of you think about adding detailed info on how the image was captured for each of our entries? If the main focus is for us to become better photographers (If it's about the prize money, can someone tell me where to pick up my cash???), how better for each of us to progress than to learn from each other. You cannot teach creativity, but having some technical info is a good start.

Sounds like a good idea.

Details surrounding my submission added.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Pappagiorgio View Post
    Sounds like a good idea.
    agreed. been real busy all week, but i'm hoping to get a chance to go get some shots before this one is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Junker View Post

If you are running firefox, check out the EXIF viewer extension.

www.vanillawinter.com/exif.php

I wrote that awhile ago. It's free to use to anyone.

Just paste an image URL and it'll grab whatever exif info is in it and display it for you.

thats pretty darned nice NPG
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    thats pretty darned nice NPG
    Thanks! Everyone once in a couple hundred years, I do something mildly decent.

AJ_77, ptavv, thanks for the info, but I didn't find what I was looking for on those files. I think that I need to change something in LightRoom that will include it in all my exported JPGs.

Baconzoo, chocolatecoveredbacon, looking forward to see wat you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Good looking chicks are OK tho.....
    Lonnie,
    If your sister meets the above requirement, I'll get you in the top 5

11 hours 25 minutes left for you last minute maggs. Closes at midnight, so go get at it.

Up and to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post

Up and to the right.
    dont get me wrong awesome sick pictures but im not seeing the unusual angle here maybe and probably im just blind

Best I have fooling around with the lensbaby.

Just fuckin' around....

I know its a late entry and its not even mine! I like this one that Leelau took.

Adding it just cuz I can.