Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arrow The knee brace and accessories thread.

Pics taken from Tri-Ungulate's July 2007 Timp TR. I have custom Donjoy Defiance III brace, modified a bit to fit up the calf higher for ski/board boots. It digs in certain places, moves sometimes when a little loose and I am sweating and so on. I want it to be a bit more comfortable. Plus I bet we can learn from others here who have knee problems and braces.

Tri:

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Buzz, The "sleeve" under the brace prevents chafing/rubbing etc. Mine makes things that much hotter but it's definitely more comfortable.
    I need to get one. My brace sometimes digs in too much and if I loosen it, it will fall down a tiny bit on my leg.

I have this custom brace (but my bottom two straps are up a bit higher and very close together to clear ski/boarding boots):

I want a sleeve. Going out to the WWW to look for something.

Participate.

I got a sleeve with one of my braces and promptly lost it. I told my physical therapist about it and he gave me a new one for free (or insurance covered it, I suppose). They just have this roll of tubing type stuff and they cut off a sufficient length, and there you go. It's just a little thicker than the original sleeve but it works fine. I think I actually have like five of these things now, which is great because I have one to wear while the others are in the wash. If you're still in PT, ask your therapists about it, they probably have the same thing. Oh, and they do wear out after a while, so see if you can get a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzilla View Post
    They just have this roll of tubing type stuff and they cut off a sufficient length, and there you go. It's just a little thicker than the original sleeve but it works fine.
    I did get some cotton fabric type sleeve stuff, but yes, it wears out super quick.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzilla View Post
    If you're still in PT, ask your therapists about it, they probably have the same thing. Oh, and they do wear out after a while, so see if you can get a bunch.
    Going back as soon as this blood clot is gone.

I found this at www.betterbraces.com:

$19.99

DonJoy Supplex/Lycra Knee Brace Undersleeves are the best way to improve comfort and protect your skin from chaffing. Also a great way to keep your leg and knee a bit warmer during cooler months while helping to control moisture during warmer times. Easy to apply and washable. 86% Supplex, 14%Lycra.

It is a good idea to buy a pair of these so you can wash one while you wear the other.

Features and Benefits:

Increases Comfort and Minimizes Chaffing
    Protects Skin, Reduces Abrasion and Prevent Rashes
    Manages moisture
    Tapered design reduces migration
    Washable
    Easy to apply - Especially for those with Arthritis
    No rubber or latex or elastic bands
    Fits Left or Right Leg

Sizing:
    Measure circumference of thigh 8 inches above mid-line of patella

SIZE:
    small
    medium
    large
    x-large
    xx-large

MEASUREMENT:
    14-22 inches
    15-24 inches
    16-26 inches
    19-29 inches
    22-29 inches

Wear a DonJoy Knee Brace Undersleeves with the seam side to the inside or outside, depending on patient comfort. Usually, with post-op swelling, the seam is worn on to the outside. The top portion of the sleeve should be folded over the top of the brace a few inches. This insures the sleeve will stay in place and also protects the inside of the unbraced leg from being chaffed.

And this style:

$29.99

DonJoy Neoprene Knee Brace Undersleeves improves comfort and protect your skin from chaffing. Made from top quality perforated neoprene the undersleeve provides compression and a bit of warmth. The perforations in the neoprene help your skin to breath and allow moisture to escape. Easy to apply and washable.

Features and Benefits:

Increases Comfort
    Protects Skin, Reduces Abrasion and Prevent Rashes
    Perforated neoprene allows skin to breath and reduces moisture.
    Tapered design reduces migration
    Washable
    Fits Left or Right Leg

Measurement:
    Measurements taken of thigh circumference 6" above mid-patella

SIZING THIGH
    XS 13"-15 1/2"
    S 15 1/2"-18 1/2"
    M 18 1/2"-21
    L 21"-23 1/2"
    XL 23 1/2"-26 1/2"
    XXL 26 1/2"-29 1/2"
    XXXL 29 1/2"-32"

Thumbs up

So I called the doc's office and they are going to get me a few of each cheap through insurance it looks.

Yeah, my braces came with the undersleeve socks, as well as some over-brace sleeves. I don't use 'em. Instead, I just use 3/4 length compression tights or knicker-length (Roo Capri Special) lycra bike shorts. Smartwool also makes knicker-length underwear. You could also use full length lycra compression running tights from Hind or wherever, but the ankle elastic can be bothersome when clamped inside the ski boot.

My doc never, ever put me in a brace and wanted to make sure I never used one. It makes me less dependent on something that may or may not help save my knee from injury again....I love my doctor purely for the reason of the CMP machine and no brace.

Oh, but nice brace anyway...
    you sketchy character, you

My doc did give me a brace...reluctantly at my insistence. But then he wanted to schedule surgery for January and I liked May better. I did enjoy the CPM machine post op though.

The brace was invaluable to me during those 4 months of winter to keep skiing and hiking and stabilize my knee. I'll use it next year until I'm closer to 1 yr post-op. And yes the sleeve works great at preventing the straps from biting in.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by altachic View Post
    My doc never, ever put me in a brace and wanted to make sure I never used one. It makes me less dependent on something that may or may not help save my knee from injury again....I love my doctor purely for the reason of the CMP machine and no brace.

Oh, but nice brace anyway...

Your doc and my doc have totally different styles and opinions though. I never had the CPM and with an allograft as opposed to your autograft, he wants me in a brace. The allograft takes longer to really heal, up to about 3 months I am told. So it is crucial to not twist and stuff for these first three months, thus the brace. I also need to wear it golfing (which I did the other day and it helped a lot), hiking, biking, skiing, boarding and water sports for the next year+. But I am used to it now, just want to make it as comfy as possible.

Different surgeries, different recovery/progression/PT procedures.

It is all good though. My knee is healing and that is the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by altachic View Post

Same here, but I went ahead and bought the Asterik braces for protection. I only wear them for skiing.

yeah, I wore a sweet custom brace before surgery to ski sans ACL. I had a townsend carbon fiber. Very nice. I also took it super easy.
    But post surgery, both with the original allograft and with the subsequent autograft (and 2 different surgeons), I've been told a brace is useless physiologically. If it makes you feel good, get one, but statistically, it wont prevent another tear.
    Prrrrrrr....

Quote Originally Posted by SnowTigress View Post
    I've been told a brace is useless physiologically. If it makes you feel good, get one, but statistically, it wont prevent another tear.

My doc says different, but that is one man's opinion. It can help greatly in preventing a serious tear and also damaging other parts of the knee.

I am going to put him through the ringer on a list of questions I have been compiling. I have found a lot of information contrary to what my doc says, here on Gimp as well as other journals I have read, but also have seen a lot of the same info he talks about on the net/journals.

My jury is out as far as if it will prevent, but it will help and that helps my mind. I'm playing better safe than sorry for a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowTigress View Post
    I've been told a brace is useless physiologically. If it makes you feel good, get one, but statistically, it wont prevent another tear.
    A brace will almost always protect the ligaments from hyper-extension... But not very likely for twisting caused tears.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

Hemas, I did notice the other day first time out golfing that my brace did not allow for my knee to twist much. My swing felt very different, hence a whooping 58 on 9 holes. There has to be something going on there to help with twisting.

Just noticed, that is all.

This is just my opinion, but I imagine a twist that is significant enough to cause a tear in a fully repaired knee is going to be big enough to jar the brace too. Especially after skiing all day and going through swelling/shrinking of the musles with temp/ativity, the brace will not sit perfectly at every moment...so if you bail hard, everything will shift and you're not nec protected from shearing forces. The other stuff may be protected though...like hemas mentioned.
    Prrrrrrr....

It's interesting that this discussion came up. I asked my doctor today about my knee brace (DonJoy Defiance III) and how long I would have to wear it (patella tendon graft six weeks ago). He told me that the prevailing thought is to wear the brace one calendar year from surgery while doing anything involving twisting/turning/etc. After that the knee will be stronger than pre-accident and will not need the brace. My other knee (ACL tear 20 years ago with much degeneration- waited 5 years to get the graft and suffered though 4 scopes to repair meniscal tears, etc) on the other hand needs to have the brace when I ski.
    "Go Balls Deep!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stymie View Post
    I asked my doctor today about my knee brace (DonJoy Defiance III) and how long I would have to wear it (patella tendon graft six weeks ago). He told me that the prevailing thought is to wear the brace one calendar year from surgery while doing anything involving twisting/turning/etc. After that the knee will be stronger than pre-accident and will not need the brace.

Yep, same orders coming from my doc, same brace. Mine was a allograft, but it was a patellar tendon graft. Good to see same info.

Quote Originally Posted by hemas View Post
    A brace will almost always protect the ligaments from hyper-extension... But not very likely for twisting caused tears.
    Also from side impacts. I tore my MCL while stupidly not wearing my brace in a bike wreck where the frame slammed into my knee from the side. Easily preventable if I was wearing the brace.

My first surgeon was just like AC's. "No brace - ever. It will encourage you to do stupid stuff you're not ready for". But my new doc has studies showing a slightly reduced incidence of re-injury for people wearing braces. So what if it's slight - if it makes any difference, why not wear it?

I think it's like wearing a seatbelt or helmet. I personally don't think I do reckless things just because I have safety equipment, and I understand they're not even close to being 100% effective.

I'm also at the point where I have enough meniscus damage that even if my ACLs are at more than full stregth, my knees will never be as stable as they used to be. And therefore he feels the braces are a doubly good idea in activities were impacts and carnage are likely.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

I will say this...If I were in Altagirls shoes, I'd wear a brace.

Luckily, I don't need to and I hope it stays that way!
    you sketchy character, you

I have been trying to stay away from this thread, because I know you won't like what I have to say. In my not so humble opinion, I think braces are a complete waste of time and money, and the crooks who sell them are in cahoots with the mercenaries of the allograft industrial complex. I have b@lls down to the floor and I am not afraid of anything, which reminds me, I should really strip this carpet down to the hardwood. But if we put otherwise robust and healthy teenaged and twentysomething EXTREME ATHLETES in braces, this will be a tragedy beyond imagination.
    drmork's Terms & Conditions of Use
    It is the responsibility of anyone participating in Teton Gravity Research Forums to read and understand these terms prior (preposition missing!) participating.
    http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

drmork
    Mork Ork DO
    www.orkclinic.com
    24 hour phone: 415.267.6999

I really don't think there is a bad way to go as far as brace/no brace. For some it comes down to personal preference. Some want to avoid the brace at all cost while others need to have a brace if for only peace of mind/confidence and still others should be in a brace because of some physiologic acl predisposition to ACL tears.

For me personally I like to see people progress to a point that they do not need a brace once their rehab is complete. But everyone and every ACL surgery/rehab is different. Some peeps need a brace if only for peace of mind. Others want to avoid having a brace at all costs. There will never be one right answer for this discussion.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

I agree with drmork about NOT putting kids in braces... but I am 41 (woman), second ACL tear and damn ain't going through this a third time...

1st tear (RIGHT 2 years ago) no brace (no insurance either) skied 7 months after surgery --very weak, then finally busted out next season and really skied. At end of season tore LEFT ACL.

You bet I'm gettin' a brace! Donjoy makes a pink one with cute stickers!!! if they want to make money off me --yippee, I do triathlons in the off season to build my knee (no brace), but skiing I'm strappin' in!

I understand the argument of building muscle --so build muscle. But, nothing wrong with extra support to really ride those bumps!

Custom knee brace?

I'm looking into getting a functional ACL brace and am looking for opinions on what to get.

Two questions:

1. If it is a difference of 150 bucks b/t off the shelf and custom brace, which do I go with?
    - sounds like the custom is, well custom and more ridgid?

2. The one the PT showed me yesterday was of the DonJoy flavor. Anybody else have a make/brands they prefer?

grassy ass
    Last edited by FreakofSnow; 02-13-2008 at 12:35 PM.

not sure of the difference btw OTS and custom braces (there are a few on this board who have experience with both who can probably comment), but i just got a custom donjoy defiance in fabulous orange (thank you insurance), and i really like it. it fits, it's comfy, it's low profile.

it's sort of like my bra...after awhile i forget i'm wearing it, but it's always nice taking it off at the end of the day. good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by FreakofSnow View Post
    I'm looking into getting a functional ACL brace and am looking for opinions on what to get.

Two questions:

1. If it is a difference of 150 bucks b/t off the shelf and custom brace, which do I go with?
    - sounds like the custom is, well custom and more ridgid?

2. The one the PT showed me yesterday was of the DonJoy flavor. Anybody else have a make/brands they prefer?

grassy ass
    I have been using a custom fitted womans bregg x2k - i chose the blue fashion color too. Apparently you can measure yourself and buy it online for $1,000 cheaper! well--thank god for insurance!
    http://store.orthoathletic.com/merch...oduct_Code=X2K

I really like mine--very comfortable--i dont even notice i have it on. I think it really helps me--I doubt i would try to ski this year without it--even cross country. If anything, it may remind me to be more careful. Although I cant wear the fun ski pants i bought last year, or the more fun ones I bought this year because neither fit over the damned brace--i have to wear the ones I wore 6 years ago!

I recently got an Asterisk to help my knee sans ACL... Obviously a brace is a no brainer in my situation.
    At first it did not feel great. I had to move it up around an inch from the optimal position due to interference with my boot. Which caused some of the clips to hit bones on the side of my knee etc...ouch.
    I took the dremel to it a couple of nights ago and took off as much as I could from the bottom (just about to the fiberglass frame/lower metel band). It fits much better now. I also removed the patella cap/knee pad to eliminate bulk as I am using it more for stability, not protection. I like the option to have it though.
    I must say the one thing that I really like about the asterisk versus most custom braces is the back lacing/webbing and fastening system. I am extremely impressed with it and I think this greatly improves the knee braces ability to reduce twisting. I would be suprised if it did not become standard on custom braces in the future. The ammount of stability and twisting reduction it offers is much better then the CTi2 custom I had years back.
    After tweaking the bottom cuff and adding padding here and there it is about as custom a fit as I could ask for.
    Also, the asterisk sleeves work really nice also.
    "Why do I always get more kisses on powder days?" -my wife