NX21 Pre release Issues

I just got on my nx21's for the first time yesterday at killington. I went there feeling great, I left feeling even better accept for the splitting headache I had from smashing my face multiple times into frozen plants, the ground, and my fist.
    I adjusted the bindings in the parking lot I had the toe height so that I could just slide a receipt between the toe plate and my denali TT soles. The denalis are a 326 mm bsl and I had the binding on the 24 setting for some forward pressure and I started with a toe din of 9 and heel of 11.
    First run fine. I'm skiing like shit but otherwise fine. Second run I straightline through a field of death cookies loose a ski, face meets frozen plant. I crank the din to around 11 add more forward pressure and think things are fine. Then last run of the day I launch a water bar land a little forward and to the side something I should have been able to correct and ski out of and they pop again. Face meets fist and ground.

The bindings are put together with leftovers from BCA so I have 2 different toe pieces each with a different scale on it. That makes them weird to begin with. I also have noticed that you can crank them far beyond where the din scale ends. Could I be off on the toe height, Need more or less forward pressure. Do I need to just crank the toes regardless of din until they stop pre releasing?

I would apreciate any advice so my face stops hurting, and so I don't die when I start skiing trees.
    Alcohol Caffeine Taurine Hybrid
    If it can be done it can be won

Without a chainsaw silviculture is just a theory

your forward pressure is off

check the little round nub that sticks out the back of the binding
    it should just barely be poking its head out

if you see any part of that groove, its not enough

their scale is 1 notch off in my experience

not your issue
    but toe height i thought was supposed to be set so the AFD just barely slides back on its own when you offset it with your thumb
    ie just barely touching the vibram/sole

edit: i should add to search for my thread as I had the same issue. this is what BCA told me to do. Ive got multiple naxos where their scale is "off" by the same 1 notch.
    Last edited by pechelman; 10-31-2007 at 11:28 AM.

I put the toeheight so that normal printer paper almost rips when pulling out.

Set the FP exact or slightly high. Too high will cause prerelease just like too low.

Have the same model of binding on each ski is a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Also, when you set the toe height with the paper test, make sure that you really yank the cuff of the boot backwards and/or push the boot toe up towards the top of the toe jaw. Otherwise you can end up with extra slop.

But the Naxo BSL scale length is definately off as mentioned above. I run my 298mm boots at the 292 setting to get correct fwd pressure.

"Also, when you set the toe height with the paper test, make sure that you really yank the cuff of the boot backwards and/or push the boot toe up towards the top of the toe jaw. Otherwise you can end up with extra slop."

I made this mistake when I got mine last year. Try skiing squads on hardpack with 3/16" of play between the sole and AFD and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out something's wrong. There was actually enough play to perceptably move me into the backseat when I shifted the toe up.

"if you see any part of that groove, its not enough"

This is what you should be looking at. That little notch should be more or less flush with the housing. Some people find burying it completely is better, but don't try to get the end of the nub flush with the housing. My BSL is 307, and I run mine on the 308 line. This leaves the groove just barely outside the housing, but a little further in than in that pic. Quite frankly, I'm too afraid of breakage to run it with any more forward pressure. I've had approx. 30 days on them and I had one ski pop off while failing to float over very chunky and hard avy debris in very light snow, so I wouldn't exactly consider pre-release a problem for me.

If you're still having problems, perhaps your pair is defective. And take this JONG's advice with a grain of salt. I've only had mine since March.

I've run my 21's and 01's with the housing in the middle of the notch and been fine. Echo everything else above as far as toe height