Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

...and he rides Ruby's?

That's the truth.

I got 914's for mine and will be using treckers if the mood strikes me. I cant wait to get these puppies out on the snow. They are quite lite for there size and I am sure will float like a dream. If they ski as good as I hope I may get a second pair for AT.

Anybody know the stock base and edge bevel of the Rubies?

Look dope, saw some guy on craigslist selling some brand new Rubys in 188 for $400!!! I have to find the listing again.

Quote Originally Posted by xtrmjoe View Post

No clue. All I did was mount them and take a stone to the edges at the tip and tails to dull the crap out of them. Then I skinned up Alta and floated down in face shot bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    No clue. All I did was mount them and take a stone to the edges at the tip and tails to dull the crap out of them. Then I skinned up Alta and floated down in face shot bliss.
    I know it does not matter untill I get some days on them. Just need to know befeore there first tune, and curious what they went with compared to other like skis.

"Anybody know the stock base and edge bevel of the Rubies?"

why not go directly to the source...they have "contact" link on the Moment website for a reason.

http://www.momentskis.com/

FYI, I've emailed Moment a few times and they're really great about getting back to you.

I think the more important question is why they didn't put Jack on the topsheet...?

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    I think the more important question is why they didn't put Jack on the topsheet...?

Cuz' it'd be ghey.

R/O

Arty...I think we rode Thunder Bowl together last season on one of 666's jaunts (your Squirrel buddy was along, too).

I recall you were rocking Goats.

Have you ditched those in favor of the Moments?

I guess I'll just have to wait until we get some coverage and then hassle the Moment cats to nail down a demo day.

At the moment i've got my Dukes set aside for the Mt. Baker's from Lib Tech (188cm length as well but sound like they are a bit stiffer overall flex than the Rubys).

so to reiterate, Arty, you've actually ridden the Ruby's and you've bought a pair, just waiting for them to show up?

final query...in comparison, what else is in your quiver and what are the Ruby's replacing/which gap are they filling?

danke all around!
    I believe you're referring to the one and only Squirrel99.

Yup, I have Gots and love them. But sometimes I wish the tip were just a tad taller and they went back to the old flex. The increased stiffness of the last couple of years makes them a better all around ski, but they're just not quite as good as the originals in pow.

The Rubies have that old Got flex to them and that's the main reason why I want a pair. Plus they have a touch more sidecut so they'll slay hardpack too.

As for my quiver, these are going to be my bc/sidecountry ski. That's my biggest need right now, and I think these along with a pair of Dukes will be the perfect ski for that. Like others have mentioned, the Rubies are very light.

On top of all that is the fact that my Gotamas probably only have 1/2 a season left in them, maybe a full one. So if my Gotamas fall apart, then I may use the Rubies as my everyday ski as well.

And no, I don't have a pair yet. Hopefully, I'll get some coin together after the 1st of the year. No matter what, these are definitely my next ski purchase.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

^thanks for the insight.

now i'm doubly intrigued to get out on a pair.

the short list for 2008 demos now looks like:

Moment Ruby
    Prior Overlord
    Fatypus D-Sender
    Lib Tech Powder
    PM Gear fattie

^^^^

Indie ski nation eh?

^yeah, pretty much.

those are all the companies making a 110-115mmish ski that looking interesting to me.

I'd also add Hendryx Skis (Rhino Chaser, baby!) and Kingswood to the mix, but since I can't demo those without making a trek to either Sweden or NZ, it ain't realistic.

The above companies are pretty good about demoing or letting you try the sticks if you run into their crews at a resort, so I should have no problem getting out on the ones listed this season and then plunking down on one of 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by xtrmjoe View Post

Sorry I missed this...

Base: -1
    Edge: 90

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    Sorry I missed this...

Base: -1
    Edge: 90
    Thanks for the info!

^yeah, pretty much.

those are all the companies making a 110-115mmish ski that looking interesting to me.

I'd also add Hendryx Skis (Rhino Chaser, baby!) and Kingswood to the mix, but since I can't demo those without making a trek to either Sweden or NZ, it ain't realistic.

The above companies are pretty good about demoing or letting you try the sticks if you run into their crews at a resort, so I should have no problem getting out on the ones listed this season and then plunking down on one of 'em.
    Both companies will set you back about $1,400 USD for one pair of skis.

I ordered Rubies at 10:00 last night and they shipped this morning. Moment has their shit together.

I've got a pair of the 185 midfats (104mm) if you want to get a little taste.

^sure 666, I'll take you up on that this season!

Warning: Minor Thread Jack and Short Ski Proselytization...

so I'll prolly get shit for this, but I was in Colo over the weekend tasting the WROD at Loveland and A-Basin. Took my Noki's (No Ka Oi's). Since I don't have an AT set-up ready yet it was groomer zoomer banging. Also I haven't ridden with any Colo mags yet, so it's not like i know where the hike-to goods are hidden. At any rate, I was riding with some Copper instructors. Floundered a bit on Sunday at L'Land as it was borderline boiler plate. I just can't get my Noki's to dig into that stuff. So one of the Copper cats loaned me some 170 Nordy Top Fuels (78mm). HOLY SCHNAP! I was ripping the BP on those, but they were kinda short. Monday me and the same Copper cat hit A-Basin. They'd groomed a bit so it was about an inch of sugar on hardpack. The Noki's were lovin' that shiznit (and I think I'd gotten my ski legs back, too). After about 7 laps me and my Copper buddy swapped stix. This time he gave me some 178 Nordy Mach 3 (72mm). Double Whammy HOLY SCHNAP! Those things railed. Going against popular Mag ideology, I think I'm about to plunk down on some short, narrow suckers for those early WROD days. Sue me, they were f@#kin' a blast.

FWIW my buddy from Copper LOVED my Noki's. He thought they were a great ski and had a hot second where he seriously considered buying a pair then remembered that his quiver is already too big.

Anyway, sorry for the thread jack. Just thought I'd mention that I got sucked into the short and narrow vortex over the tweekend.
    Last edited by dookey67; 10-30-2007 at 10:09 AM.

Great review & thanks! I bet I suck a lot more wind than you though! Good to hear how bomber the Dukes are. Damn I wish we were getting pummeled with snow right now! We had a great start but now the storms seem to be in a bit of a holding pattern - warm days forecasted in the next week - YUCK!
    "If you are prepared for zombies, you are prepared for anything"

De Oppresso Liber

Day 2....

Conditions: 14 degrees and snowing with -7 windchill or something like that. It was cold. A good cold.
    Snow: powder, crud, ice, rock hard cordura, rocks, bushes, funky mank under pow over ice.

These skis suck on rock hard groomers and ice Totally suck. Speed limit is like -45. Worthless garbage that'll barely get you back to the lifts. Felt like the only part to hook up was right under foot making them uber sketch. I could also feel every ridge of the corduroy and it did not feel good. Might be Duke related though as they have a wide and very stiff plate.

Everywhere else they are a fucking blast. We saw every flavor of snow short of over the head blower today and outside from the UBER firm these things are blast.

Early on I was bummed as the leftovers from yesterdays 13" were shrapled to hell leaving a very brutal pow trench crud bump refrozen over ice sorta skiing adventure. I got rocked all over that first run and was sorta wishing I'd grabbed the Prophet 90's instead of these noodles.

Turns out it was me and not the skis. After remembering how to ski (and chasing Kush who was rocking Comi's at mach 5 million looney speeds) the Ruby's charged the brutal slop with no issues. The softness of the skis only smooving out the variability of the snow. I just needed to trust them.

A quick call to my therapist and some meditation resolved my issues and soon enough the only limiting factor in how hard I could charge these boards through the 20" mank trenches was the strength of my quads. I am at one with Ruby and am really diggin these skis for crud. They have a very cool balance between dampness and liveliness that's tough to describe. They are so supple during turn initiation and very lively on the exit. Rather than blast through everything the way a Blower or Kush's Comi's were, the Ruby's seem to flow lightly over things. It's a very pleasant ski.

In the deep off the Nipple the Ruby's were pure sex. These skis are sensual in untracked pow. Sultry smoove sweetness. Damn shame that the turns up there are such short shots cuz they were $$$. Damn cool that the hike is so short cuz I'm friggin sad on a boot pack.

As the day wore on and the snow kept falling the uber firm groomers and the base below the manky leftover crud slop began to soften. The softer things got the better the Ruby's and truth performed. Groomers were now mildly entertaining and the ski could actually carve a nice arc at speed. In the slop the scoured sections between the funk piles and trenches no longer caused a momentary scrape and slide. Life was good. Toes were cold and all too soon my legs yelped No Mas!
    Last edited by truth; 12-02-2007 at 12:50 AM.

These skis suck on rock hard groomers and ice Totally suck. Speed limit is like -45. Worthless garbage that'll barely get you back to the lifts. Felt like the only part to hook up was right under foot making them uber sketch. I could also feel every ridge of the corduroy and it did not feel good. Might be Duke related though as they have a wide and very stiff plate.
    Or it could just be the fact they're 112 in the waist.

My Gotamas absolutely, positively suck on ice; and that's even with a fresh tune. The only way I can get them to edge is to make big turns at mach looney, and even then I feel like I'm going to die.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

I was really impressed with the ruby's on hard pack, so......this is good to know because i was going to switch out my freerides for dukes and now i am thinking not

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    Or it could just be the fact they're 112 in the waist.

My Gotamas absolutely, positively suck on ice; and that's even with a fresh tune. The only way I can get them to edge is to make big turns at mach looney, and even then I feel like I'm going to die.
    No, these were far worse than the Blower's I had last season, but it's only on the firmest of snow. Anything remotely soft and they are super fly radnastical. In the uber chop I think he Dukes actually really help firm up the ski underfoot.

Kush was saying they wanted him to get on Ruby's for a comp ski but after he flexed mine we agreed they are WAY too soft for that. If they made the Ruby with a Comi flex they'd really have something to fill that niche.

What kinda tune you got on them, Truth? Not trying to be contradictory here, just curious cause as you know I'm definitely getting a pair.

If they made the Ruby with a Comi flex they'd really have something to fill that niche.
    Tell kush to get the sand out of his vagina and get a pair of M1s.
    Last edited by Arty50; 12-02-2007 at 09:43 PM.