Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wilmot Powder ! ? !

Blew my mind to see Wilmot on the cover of Powder mag

Pretty good writeup, and didn't know the 4Front guy grew up there, but why the fuck is Wilmot in Powder??
    I’ve just decided to be a middle aged somewhat depressed somewhat anxious fucktard until the end.

Saw the cover but haven't read the story. Gotta admit, having grown up in WI, I was a bit confused when I saw "Wilmot" on the cover. I remember the pizza being better than the skiing!

It was nice to see the hill covered. There's been a few very good skiers to come out of SE WI. Having spent nearly every night of 8 seasons on that hill, it was nice to see some props given to sheet of ice in a wind tunnel. I nearly missed that place - nearly...

Matt is from Lake Geneva.
    Wilmot was his home ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidawg View Post
    It was nice to see the hill covered. There's been a few very good skiers to come out of SE WI.
    Thanks, but I'm actually out of NE IL. I spent my formative years at Wilmot and Alpine Valley.

Wilmot Mt was about the soul of skiing. So many excellent skiers have come out of that little dump. I wasn't surprised to hear that Matt is a Wilmot native. I grew up west of Chicago and would sleep in my VW camper van below that clock tower at the base area every weekend during highschool. I love to see some of my old ski buddies still doing it. I was a little disappointed to not see Exhibition all bumped up with a hudge kicker in it. I'll never forget the inspiration of seeing Jerry Grossey throwing hudge heli iron crosses over five skier with their arms and poles streched high in the air back in the early 90's. And the ducking through the hole in the fence on State line to ski some secrect "pow" through the scrub. Ah the fond memories. Now that I live in Alaska I still carry the pride of my "Home Ice" that has made me and many of the other Wilmot natives the skiers that we are. Still keeping it real.

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    Alpine Valley.
    Did you get miracled there once in '97!? I might have given you that ticket, maaaaaaaaaan.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Even this kid from the Bay Area has skied Wilmot

Ok, so the wife is from Barrington, and I made my father-in-law go with me.
    Last edited by skier666; 11-06-2007 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dblatto View Post
    Did you get miracled there once in '97!? I might have given you that ticket, maaaaaaaaaan.
    My stint there ended in 1991 when I moved west.

Skier's to come out of WI:

Matt Sterbenz, Seth Morrisson, Jeremy Nobis, Brant Moles, Marshalolsen.

I may be wrong about Nobis, but I'm positive on the others.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

god wilmot blows. is it really on the cover?
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Yeah, greatwhitehope called it about Wilmot Mt. Nice comments. It's about the little mom-and-pop places like Wilmot, and places like trash heaps in Michigan, and all the local hills in New England that get people hooked on skiing in the first place. Long before we (some of us) discover the Vails, the Aspens, the Heavenlys, the Jackson Holes, and the Killingtons, etc, etc...

I started out at Wilmot Mt back in the 70s and 80s and I have fond memories of a hill usually of ice, rather than any blower powder. We didn't care or complain. Everyone was stoked to be there regardless of the conditions. Our friends were there. It was THE local hill and Snowbird was merely a far-off fantasy-mecca when you're a youngster in the Midwest. Lotsa nostalgic thoughts about those little ski hills you ski at long ago.

I don't think it matters where you start out, if the passion is there, you'll be in it for life anyway.

Didn't Seth learn to ski first at nearby Lake Geneva (long before Vail)?

Wilmot Mountain could really be any one of your local ski hills near where you live. It's simply a metaphor for the passion of this whole sport/lifestyle...

Wilmot: .
    Ski to live! Live to ski!

Seth Morrisson, really? I always thought that, but my buddy told me otherwise. Anyway, I was stoked to see a write-up on wilmont, too bad the swanky Grand Geneva didn't get it (thats where I grew up skiing).

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Webb View Post
    Seth Morrisson, really? I always thought that, but my buddy told me otherwise. Anyway, I was stoked to see a write-up on wilmont, too bad the swanky Grand Geneva didn't get it (thats where I grew up skiing).
    "Hot Dog Mountain" at the Playboy Club

I’ve just decided to be a middle aged somewhat depressed somewhat anxious fucktard until the end.

I think Nobis did a stint in Madison, and Moles grew up in Racine, WI (my home town).

I hear Alpine Valley has a detachable high speed quad now...

Quote Originally Posted by Froman View Post
    I think Nobis did a stint in Madison, and Moles grew up in Racine, WI (my home town).

Yeah, Alpine got it 3 or 4 seasons ago. I haven't been back there to see it.

Wilmot is still running the Riblet chairs from the 60's. I don't think there's been an on-hill update in 20 years. A few ownership changes in the last 10 years have improved things. They finally caved in and stopped with the whole "we're just a family ski area" and started builing a terrain park - 10 years after everyone in the state had one. "Better late than never" is the hill's life story.

FWIW, I don't think they even let the bumps build up on Exhibition any more. I don't know if it's lack of interest, or the hill just doesn't want them.

When I was there, there was a lot of talk about the bumps on X, how back in the old days it was the big thing to do, but today the slope is continually groomed flat. Even the ruts from the race course on the previous day were mowed down by morning.

Wink

Yeah, like you'd really know anything about the article

Quote Originally Posted by Schmear View Post
    When I was there, there was a lot of talk about the bumps on X, how back in the old days it was the big thing to do, but today the slope is continually groomed flat. Even the ruts from the race course on the previous day were mowed down by morning.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    Thanks, but I'm actually out of NE IL. I spent my formative years at Wilmot and Alpine Valley.
    No love for Villa Olivia?
    Cool article brought back bota bags full o booze memories
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Memmmmoriesssss

Ahhhh that picture of Grand Geneva takes me back. I will be the first to admit that I was thoroughly gripped during my formative years down the Exhibition mogul ice sheet. I have to give to Tom Palic for throwing the first mute grab I ever saw, off of one of the infamous exhibition kickers. My fav was always cascade mountain though, sweet parks and night skiing.

I started skiing Wilmot back in the early 70's. Buffalo Park and Fox Trails before that. I still ski Wilmot, late afternoon on Friday before all the buses arrive.

666, I'm from Barrington, too. Went out west and unfortunatly came back and am still here. If you come back to see the in-laws I'll buy you a beer. I am sure I am much older than your wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Froman View Post

two of them, believe it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Millsie View Post
    666, I'm from Barrington, too.
    Went out west and unfortunatly came back and am still here.
    If you come back to see the in-laws I'll buy you a beer.
    I am sure I am much older than your wife.

.....Lotta double wide trailers in your hood?

Too funny. The "Matterhorn of the Midwest” was my home hill too, along with Villa Olivia, Four Lakes, Buffalo Park, Fox Trails. Ya gotta love to ski.

Always enjoyed the Wilmot pepperoni pizza with little pools of grease in every curled up pepperoni slice.

Also used to cross that state line fence to poach the untracked.

Lights installed for night skiing in 1955 (It was such a novelty that the Tonight Show featured it)

The local myth that the chicken fingers are made from mice found in the store room is true! (Sez Wikipedia)

Anyone know how long ago Gander Mtn next to Wilmot closed? I think they were still running the lifts ~1970.

Quote Originally Posted by bossass View Post
    Skier's to come out of WI:

Matt Sterbenz, Seth Morrisson, Jeremy Nobis, Brant Moles, Marshalolsen.

I may be wrong about Nobis, but I'm positive on the others.
    Edit: nevermind, check my research and Bossas is right.
    Last edited by KevinDineen; 11-06-2007 at 10:22 PM.