Check Out Our Shop

Lightbulb Spy vs Spy: Moment Tahoe vs. M1

Moment Tahoe vs M1.

The Tahoe is a 188 @ 130-96-119 22m

The M1 is a 196 @ 130-105-119 35m.

My current quiver:

2006 Blower 185 : decent ski but I'm not in love with it. Shoulda bought the 193 but coming off my injuries last year I was gun shy. I'm gonna remount them 2cm back and see if that helps but they will never be the IT ski for me.

2003 Rossi B3 185 : Was a really fun ski for soft snow and TIGHT trees back in the day. It's haggard and beat to hell and is now the proverbial rock ski.

2007 195 Praxis : pulled the trigger last night and I'm STOKED.

I'm in need of an everyday ski for resort (Snowbasin, UT) use. I should be on snow 4-6 days a week this winter so this means that it'll be the go to stick for everything that does not warrant the Praxis.

The M1 seems like a friggin freight train of a ride. It should just destroy anything in it's way, but it might also be a real beast when there are longer lulls between storms and you end up scrambling through firm rutted tree bumps trying to find the last scraps of fun. If the Tahoe is stiff enough it might just be the better choice as the M1 could prove to be a bit too much ski at times.

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    Just make it easy for both of us and buy my 189 Seths.

And yeah, you're gonna LOVE the Praxis!

105 doesn't seem too wide for everyday to me. The sidecut on the Tahoe seems pretty EXTREEEEEEME, but that's up to you I guess. If it were me I'd get the M!s and on the really bad days "scrambling through firm rutted tree bumps" I'd go back to the rock skis. Then the M1 would be fun when the praxis ain't. At the weight they claim to be I'm sure they're pretty easy to throw around.

My $.02.

Addict, that's a good plan...yeah...I like that.

M1 as well, since you don't really like them Blowers. Get something to replace 'em, ie. get the M1.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

Damn you Basom and Arty!!!!!!!

After reading Basom's review of the Ruby's I'm even more confused.

the M1 is very stiff. at least the pink pair you all saw bouncing around from tahoe to NZ this last season. that pair (before i mounted them and they were skied on) was similer to a pro rider and squad 98 with hand flexing. the ski goes fast. its good if you are going to be sking really fast downhill.

good everyday ski if you are big and agressive, or just very agressive and like stiff skis.

woah. sounds scary to me. at least for a playful place like Snowbasin on old snow days.

Personally I think I'd find something else around 95-105mm that's a bit easier skiing, but I'm a wuss, and you're a big guy, so maybe the M1s are perfect.
    If not:

188 Tahoe, if it's not too turny for you
    188 Bro Stiff maybe...
    193 Sugar Daddy maybe...
    187 Bluehouse District possibly...
    190 Gotama perhaps...
    184 Mantra....
    Last edited by Chris Knight; 10-15-2007 at 09:49 AM.
    Everything is coming up Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    I should be on snow 4-6 days a week this winter.
    perfect.

Here Truth, what about these?
    190 Wizard Explosives, 95mm under with a little twin, good price, in UT.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=97935
    Everything is coming up Brady.

Sell your Blowers. Buy M1s and something else. Once you start using the M1s, I bet you will never want to use your Blowers. Seriously, you will have the Praxis for the deep, and M1s for charging, what on earth would you need blowers for?
    Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    I love it when shitweasels get there panties all in a bunch.

M1 ... you won't look back ... seriously.

i have tahoes for my everyday ski this year ..... that's all

Quote Originally Posted by basom View Post
    the M1 is very stiff.

good everyday ski if you are big and agressive, or just very agressive and like stiff skis.
    What about the Tahoe? Is it enough ski?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knight View Post
    woah. sounds scary to me.
    A little bit, but I am a big guy and will be on them a lot...that said I have no ego wanting to drive a plank. I do tend to find myself over skiing smaller skis though.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    perfect.
    My hair? Why yes, it is. Thanks for noticing. What about the friggin sticks dude? You're like the Lord of the Tech Talk and shit...

Quote Originally Posted by FREESKIER_FIVE-0 View Post
    Sell your Blowers. Buy M1s and something else. Once you start using the M1s, I bet you will never want to use your Blowers. Seriously, you will have the Praxis for the deep, and M1s for charging, what on earth would you need blowers for?
    The thought crossed my mind, but buying 3 new sets of skis is something I'm not prepared to do....yet. Maybe I'll bust out my old Solly X-Screams and get all gaper retro when it's uber firm. That might be rad.

Quote Originally Posted by bisnibble View Post
    i have tahoes for my everyday ski this year ..... that's all
    Have you been on them? Are you a big human or a small one? I'm 6'1" 200# and a virgo. I like deep dish pizza, long walks on short piers and have a skill for hurting myself.

My hair? Why yes, it is. Thanks for noticing. What about the friggin sticks dude? You're like the Lord of the Tech Talk and shit...
    well, do you want super long stable skis for hauling ass all of the time, or do you want skis that are way more versitile on firm days.

the m1's i saw (but didn't ski) seemed more like comp skis than every day inbounds skis, unless you ski like you have a number on your chest all of the time.

i'd say go for something a bit more versitile unless the above is true. dunno if the Tahoe is it, as i have never seen them.

edit: and i am just super stoked you will get to ski that much after the past few seasons... good on ya.

Have you been on them? Are you a big human or a small one? I'm 6'1" 200# and a virgo. I like deep dish pizza, long walks on short piers and have a skill for hurting myself.
    havn't even seen them yet... Melee will probably chime in on this thread and give you his opinion.

However I can tell you about the rubys to make your decision even harder ... very fun ski, just think fatter gotama's ..... super tuff ski I have been skiing over a bunch of rocks this october and the bases barely have a scratch on them. Oh and ... they are light, really light

I went with the M1s, but why isn't the Rubys in play here ...I was leaning that way for a everyday especially with the 28 radius in the 188. Even at 110 in the waist I think it would be a great everyday..that is my 2
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post

edit: and i am just super stoked you will get to ski that much after the past few seasons... good on ya.
    As am I...been a long road to get back where I belong. Hopefully you'll chase a storm up this way.

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    I went with the M1s, but why isn't the Rubys in play here ...I was leaning that way for a everyday especially with the 28 radius in the 188. Even at 110 in the waist I think it would be a great everyday..that is my 2
    are these really different from his blowers?

but I'd echo what Yoss said, buy some used explosives or the like, and take a trip somewhere with the money saved.
    slopstyle crosscarver junior

Quote Originally Posted by mojorisin View Post
    are these really different from his blowers?
    Not enough to justify having both, so my Blowers are now for sale.

Trigger pulled on the 188 Rubys.

I went with the 188 ruby and DP 138. I am planning on skiing the ruby whenever its not a day for the 138. Except for rock days. They are quite light and I think that adds quite a bit to there versitality. We need more snow here so I can ski them!

Not enough to justify having both, so my Blowers are now for sale.

Trigger pulled on the 188 Rubys.
    In the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    In the mail.
    I was blown away when I got the tracking number within hours of placing my order. Thanks for all the help.

A++++ seller...would buy from them again.