Thread: Scratch BC WRS

Scratch BC WRS

I picked up last years Scratch BC WRS in a 185 length to fill the gap between my 183 Scott Santiago Mission and 185 Nordica Blowers. My purpose in doing so would be to fill the crud and left over/next day ski portion of my quiver. They were a bit of a spontaneous purchase as they were a decent deal this summer. Me 170 pounds 5'8 looking for a versatile day after ski. Can the scratch BC do it for me or am I just going to get bounced around and end up back on the blowers in the crud as I don't really like the Santiago in the crud? Hoping for some feedback before I swap them for something more crud oriented.

Just for the record this one: http://global.skipass.com/gearguide/...ch-BC-WRS.html

This was the best review I could find, applicable to my situation: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...t=scratch+crud
    Driving to Targhee

I had at one time both the mission and the scratch bc wrs. The scratch was a great all around ski..... but not good in crud, better than the mission though.

Cooltsi,

I know you have some info from me and my initial review of the BC's, but after skiing a few more days on them, I would adjust my crud score to a 3-3.5 out of 5. They are one of the more fun "jibby" all-mountain skis I have ridden, and would probably be fine as a one-quiver ski for someone who both freerides and plays in the park.

I have 185 Blowers, too and despite the softer tip, I think they are better in the crud than the BC's.

I picked up a pair of 184 Mantra's at the end of the season, and after a few days on those, I realized that I may give up the "playful" nature of the BC's, but I get better variable snow performance out of the Volkl's, so I sold my BC's.

I'm 6', 170# and ski on last years BC WRS in a 185 for "everyday" use. They are super-versatile boards. Quick and nimble in tight situations or bumps, good edge hold when it gets firm, and solid enough in the chop/crud. I'm really pleased with these skis for the purpose they serve, but I'm not sure that they're gonna fill your "niche" as a dedicated crud ski. It's not like they're terrible in the crud, but there are better options. I would look to the LP, Monster 103, Mantra, Explosiv, Bro, Apache Chief, Squad, Titan.
    Last edited by cmsummit; 09-05-2007 at 04:56 PM.
    Old's Cool.

Considering the Mantra, Titan, Explosive as options. Any thoughts on the AK Rocket or the Dynastar 8800?
    Driving to Targhee

As long as its not too setup and heavy the Blowers are great in crud and chop.
    If you want something to get you through the heavier stuff I'd go M103, Squad, XXL, Explosiv etc.

Agreed, the blowers are decent in crud in my opinion. The tip does tend to deflect a bit at lower speeds but at significant speeds I've been able to crash through most anything.
    Driving to Targhee

I am looking to make a purchase on some of the BC's. And I am wondering if you are ready to sell them. I am willing to make an offer...

Let me here back.

Qski

Qski, I have a pair w/binders I am getting rid of. Great "do everything" ski that is super playful/fun