Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWMD: Speeding Ticket

Yea yea I know I need to slow down, but I need to know how to take of it.

Option 1: I take defensive driving and the ticket gets reduced to $103. However, it still shows up on my record albeit it shows up as dismissed. I'm 18 and don't really want my insurance rates going up until I'm 25.

Option 2: I take deferred judication (probation) and the ticket then becomes $250. With this option the ticket doesn't even show up on my record.

If I take the defensive driving, and that ticket still shows up on my record as dismissed will insurance rates sky rocket?

hmmmm.... $147 dollars now or be screwed by insurance for 7 years.

Our educational system sucks.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    hmmmm.... $147 dollars now or be screwed by insurance for 7 years.

Our educational system sucks.
    Well of course I dont' want to be fucked by insurance for the next seven years, I just wasn't sure if a "dismissed" ticket would get me fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by givebackbloom View Post
    Well of course I dont' want to be fucked by insurance for the next seven years, I just wasn't sure if a "dismissed" ticket would get me fucked.
    Where are you getting "7 years" from?

I don't if it is different in your state, but in Ohio, points only remain on your record for 3 years. It's still better to take the option that will keep the points off of your license, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the violation won't be picked up by your insurance anyways. If the violation does happen to show up on your insurance even though it was dismissed, you should have the option of disputing the points through your insurance company/agent.

As a bonus, you may actually receive a discount on your insurance if you take the defensive driving course. Many companies offer a 5-10% discount for taking courses like that, regardless of the reason for taking them.
    I think that the human mind is unique among all other forms of life in that it can spontaneously create unique thoughts and provide unique behaviors. Instead of rewarding that uniqueness we, for some reason probably because of cultural and social necessity, we chastise unique behavior and reward conformity.

ask your insurance company?

and is the defensive driving class free?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by SnowRider4Life View Post
    I was under the impression that premiums didn't change until I turned 25, which is 7 years from now.

BTW I'm on the phone with progressive right now, and the lady is saying that my rates won't increase if the dismissed ticket is not on my motor vehicle report. However, they will increase if it shows up on my motor vehicle report. I hate insurance companies.

After completing Option #1 or Option #2, procede to Option #3:

Option #3: No need to slow down - Buy a radar detector!
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    ask your insurance company?

and is the defensive driving class free?
    I'm on the phone with them right now.

No defensive driving is not free. It's around $40. The court just informed me that if I do probation I will still have to take defensive driving, which will raise the total to almost $300.

The ticket is for doing 75 in a 65.

The ticket is for doing 75 in a 65.
    How fast were you really going?

I had the cruise pinned at 75.....that's what the ticket has written on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowRider4Life View Post
    In CA, moving violations remain on your record for 7 years (Fed statute of limitations, I believe). Points go away after 3 years.

Pay for the whole thing to disappear, get a discount for the DD school, and buy a radar detector.

Or go to court and fight it. 75 in a 65 is bullshit (unless you were really going 90 and the cop gave you a break).

For shits and giggles, get a new quote online and check the box that says you have a moving violation. That should make the decision for you.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

I was under the impression that premiums didn't change until I turned 25, which is 7 years from now.
    Companies change their premiums ALL the time for various reasons, which is why it's always a good idea to check out rates for different companies anytime your policy is up for renewal. You are correct that your rates will go down when you turn 25, but you should also see a slight decrease when you turn 21 as well (as long as you don't get more tickets).

Like others have said, pay the ticket, take the defensive driving course, and get the best radar detector you can afford. I'm a big fan of the Valentine One.
    I think that the human mind is unique among all other forms of life in that it can spontaneously create unique thoughts and provide unique behaviors. Instead of rewarding that uniqueness we, for some reason probably because of cultural and social necessity, we chastise unique behavior and reward conformity.

probation for 10 over? that doesnt sound right. I know in a 65 the fines are doubled, but the penalty isnt. I got nailed for 35 in a 25 and had a $100 fine and 2 pts. Yours shouldnt be substantially worse
    Live

Don't pay it. Go underground. Stop paying your insurance premiums as well. That's for sukkaz.

Drive smarter not faster.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by skiingsamurai View Post
    probation for 10 over? that doesnt sound right. I know in a 65 the fines are doubled, but the penalty isnt. I got nailed for 35 in a 25 and had a $100 fine and 2 pts. Yours shouldnt be substantially worse
    were you 18? there may be different rules for young drivers.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

on the pointy end, calling the line, swearing my fucking ass off
    Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
    After completing Option #1 or Option #2, procede to Option #3:

Option #3: No need to slow down - Buy a radar detector!
    And still get tagged by the cops running laser that isn't always on.
    The only thing worse than the feeling that you are going to die is the realization that you probably won't.

At your age you need to keep that ticket off your record. One ticket might not affect rates much, but if you get a second, or are in an at-fault accident with the ticket still on your record your rates could double or triple.

Or you could move to a jurisdiction where tickets don't affect your premiums..

good point, i was 17
    Live

Next week I make my third, and hopefully final, 500 mile round trip drive to appear for 101 in a 65, the VC I was cited for is actually for driving in excess of 100mph so I think I have a case. And before anyone harps on me for driving that fast, we were in the middle of nowhere and traffic was moving at 85+.

Anyone know a CHP officer? I could use a little info..

Get a lawyer who specialazies in these. cost should be around $250. 95% chance you'll win it. No conviction, no insurance problems, no record of violation in your dossier.

I've done it too many times, but haven't lost one yet.

Seriously - fight it. They're easy to win.
    Last edited by oftpiste; 08-10-2007 at 06:32 PM.

Here's your dilema. If you go on the probation thing, and get another ticket, you have violated probation and get hammered twice, once for the original ticket, and again for the second one.

If you can commit to slow down, do the probation gig, depending on what your insurance says. Oh wait, you've tipped them off already.

A mess either way.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Here's your dilema. If you go on the probation thing, and get another ticket, you have violated probation and get hammered twice, once for the original ticket, and again for the second one.

If you can commit to slow down, do the probation gig, depending on what your insurance says. Oh wait, you've tipped them off already.

A mess either way.

Ken
    The probation isn't a problem because I will be leaving for school in about a week so I won't even be in the same state for the 90 day probation period. I haven't tipped my insurance off already. They can't raise my rates for having a ticket if I don't have one on my record...

Quote Originally Posted by skiingsamurai
    The fine wasn't doubled, and you can choose to put yourself on probation as a means of keeping the ticket off of your record. Fines always seem to be worse in shithole towns as well.

And BTW for the record, he tagged me from 200 yards away, at 10 PM in traffic....arguable?

Also I have decided that I'm going to invest in a good radar detector since I will be doing a lot of traveling the next four years.

Recommendations? V1 vs. 8500 X50

radar detector.

sensoro.