Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Legal mags, how much trouble is my friend in?

A good friend of mine just got raided by the DEA. I'm wondering how much trouble he is in...

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/articl...21/1033/NEWS01

Any advice would be appreciated. He a nice guy and great friend, I'm hoping he won't be missing the next 20-25 ski seasons.

I don't smoke weed so I know nothing about the legalities involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    A good friend of mine just got raided by the DEA. I'm wondering how much trouble he is in...

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/articl...21/1033/NEWS01

Any advice would be appreciated. He a nice guy and great friend, I'm hoping he won't be missing the next 20-25 ski seasons.

I don't smoke weed so I know nothing about the legalities involved.
    Since the feds are involved he is in some deep water. Even if he had a state license to grow, the federal drug laws trump state law. He should retain a very good defense lawyer immediately. If this is a first offense, he will be offered a plea. But he should be represented by the best defense attorney he can afford.

Edit to add, the federal sentencing guidelines don't care if the plants had fully grown out or were just seedlings. There are "purity" ratios that will be determined, which is how I think they got the 7lbs. Regardless, he should seek VERY GOOD counsel immediately.
    Last edited by Rontele; 07-15-2007 at 12:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

With that many plants, packaged weed and a digital scale - and the Feds. Get a very good lawyer.

If he gets the plea - he needs to move on to something else. They will be watching him for some time.

If it goes to trial - being on the Cali coast is good for the jury selection. Good luck.

Squatch Guest
    a lot of trouble

additionally, your friend should probably stop talking to the press. he is just giving the feds a host of admissible evidence to use against him to not only screw him in any plea deal, but admissible at trial.

I was just thinking the same thing with his talking to the press.
    Physical evd is bad enough against him, but his quotes are pure gold for prosecution to disprove his ignorance of means of distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by trainnvain View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing with his talking to the press.
    Physical evd is bad enough against him, but his quotes are pure gold for prosecution to disprove his ignorance of means of distribution.
    That and many of his statements to the press can be construed as admissions.

Ditto on the press - some of that couldnt have been written any clearer as a formal confession.

This whole state vs fed thing has yet to play out - maybe he will be a test case - with 20years of prison time on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by smitchell333 View Post
    Ditto on the press - some of that couldnt have been written any clearer as a formal confession.

This whole state vs fed thing has yet to play out - maybe he will be a test case - with 20years of prison time on the line.
    Gonzales v. Raich. Federal drug laws preempt state laws even if the drugs are only transported for intrastate purposes.

California has been having these problems for years. In almost all these circumstances its the DEA who comes to your door not the state police. Its frightening but its very comon and expected in the medical scene. Usually the DEA wont arrest the patient but instead theyll shake up the grow room and leave. It looks like they might have been checking into him before the raid. If he took it straight to the clubs or other patients he's considered a Caregiver and should be ok . Depending on where he lives, 7 lbs shouldnt be that big of a problem. Caregivers are getting busted with up to 100 lbs in Cal. and usually avoid serious charges.

though he might want to consider .....
    a. shutting up.
    b. getting in touch with a laywer (probably already done)
    c. he needs to call his doctor and have the doctor ready to come into court
    d. a record of the patients should be noted. - he basically needs to prove that the "medicine" was going into the right hands. medicine can be buds or clones.

the good thing about this is that what he was doing was NOT illegal. if he was selling it to the wrong people than that might be a problem.

hope that helps man, i've yet to hear of a patient doing serious time with this circumstance.

if it will make you feel better, it might go something like this.

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/200...3/18337555.php

bipolar??

you might also tell your friend that his drug is not a good choice for that. in fact it may cause it

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

What? 20-25 years for growing some plants?! Thats just crazy man.

best buy him some soap-on-a-rope
    Live

Evan needs to STFU and let his lawyer do the talking.

Don't cops weigh the whole plant (not just buds) when they say "7 lbs of marijuanna"?

It's a county by county issue in NorCal. The locals won't bother with it, so the feds are back. A couple prosecutors ran on platforms of not fucking with growers and those counties are hassle-free - so far. But it appears that as the war in Iraq flounders, Bush will spend our tax money fighting these homegrown 'terrorists' until some real jihadists finally unleash a nuke in the US. Then Bush can stand up, with a straight face, and say, "We've been devoting untold resources to fight terrorism here in the US. I just can't magine how that nuke slipped past us."

I'm sure Cheney and his cronies are trying to figure out how to corner the medical marijuana market before he leaves office.

Since he will be missing the next few ski seasons, does he have any good gear to go up on Gear Swap?

Trying hard to stay in the present moment
    Quote Originally Posted by haydukelives View Post
    you might also tell your friend that his drug is not a good choice for that. in fact it may cause it
    I'm guessing the medical MJ is for the migraines he said were side effects of his medication. However, MJ still would not be a good choice given his bipolar condition. I wouldn't want to be the Doc who prescribed this one....
    Try to keep two ideas in your head at the same time without blowing your brains out your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I'm sure Cheney and his cronies are trying to figure out how to corner the medical marijuana market before he leaves office.
    That's the problem with marijuana - billion dollar corporations can't control the production, so make it illegal!

Thanks!

Thanks to all, especially Rontele. I will pass this on to him - hopefully he will listen.

Hmmmm. Federal Pound-Me-In-the-Ass prison?

Lawyer, lawyer lawyer. And a good one.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Hmmmm. Federal Pound-Me-In-the-Ass prison?
    Last edited by MapleSyrup; 07-16-2007 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by haydukelives View Post
    What he said. Friend of mine is bipolar and he was constantly being informed by medical types that the weed is only making the situation worse. Using his doctor as part of the defense will be interesting - if the doctor shows up.
    Last edited by Shorey; 07-16-2007 at 05:51 AM.
    Not around much these days.

Sounds like he was stoned when he talked to the press...I wish him the best of luck

if he cant turn someone he better get ready to party with bubba.
    or he better run.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skierX View Post
    if he cant turn someone

For even suggesting this I hope you burn in hell.