Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Utah Snow Photo Contest

(I just got this from Ski Utah, and thought some of you aspiring lens-jockeys might be interested...and yes, the irony of entering a contest for a trip to Utah, when you already live here, is pretty huge....)

Ski Utah is looking for this winter's hottest sharp-shooters for their first-ever photo contest.

Not only will you get a chance to win one of two great prizes, but your images will be considered for use in Ski Utah's Winter Vacation Planner - distributed internationally with a circulation of over 500,000, as well as on the Web site and other printed materials.

Submit your best work in one of four categories: Powder, Scenics, Terrain Parks or Faces.

The Grand Prize is a three-night, three-day Utah winter vacation for two including round trip airfare on Southwest Airlines, three nights' lodging, three days of lift tickets, car rental and ski/snowboard rental.

First Prize is a pair of Atomic skis or a snowboard.

Contest Rules:

Who can enter: Anyone visiting a Utah ski resort during the 2003-04 ski and snowboard season. Limit of two entries per person.
    What to enter: Digital photos (TIFF or JPEG format - minimum 300 dpi at 5" x 7"), color or black-and-white prints of 8" x 10" or less, or 35mm slides. Please do not send negatives or computer altered photographs.

How to prepare your entries: Submit your name, address, phone number, e-mail address, date, location and model name with each image.

Deadlines: Entries will be accepted for all images taken during the winter of 2003-04. Images must be submitted by April 30, 2004. Entries submitted after the deadline may be considered for use in Ski Utah publications, but will not be considered for an award. A panel of Ski Utah employees will judge entries. Ski Utah does not accept responsibility for the loss of or damage to submitted work. Images will not be returned. Ski Utah reserves full publishing and advertising rights to all photo entries.

Submit: By mail to Ski Utah Photo Contest, 150 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84101 or e-mail to photocontest@skiutah.com
    The fine print: Photos will not be returned. In consideration for participating in the contest, participants agree that Ski Utah, or its designate, may use any photographic images provided for commercial purposes, without any further remuneration to the participant.

Participants further agree to assign all right, title and interest they may have in or to any images provided to Ski Utah and consent to their name or likeness being used by Ski Utah. Reservations for the Grand Prize are subject to availability at the time of booking. All travel must be completed on or before May 1, 2005.

Prizes are not transferable or convertible to cash. Employees of Ski Utah or their member resorts are not eligible to participate in this contest.
    Last edited by Red Baron; 03-23-2004 at 02:59 PM.

We should enter photos that could be, but are not, in Utah.

midget, front and center.

Does it have to be a resort? I mean, this is close to a resort. Well, at least this is seen from 2 resorts. Plus it's the best photo I took all year.

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...or_Sunrise.jpg
    Last edited by powstash; 03-23-2004 at 03:18 PM.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Originally posted by powstash

I saw this photo on the internet, so I entered it in a contest . . . .

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...or_Sunrise.jpg
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

You actually thought I took that photo? I found it on the net too!
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Nevermind, I've decided to enter this little photo I took of the Oquirr mountains near Tooele

http://ski-zermatt.com/mattnet/featu...Matterhorn.jpg
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Originally posted by powstash
    [B]midget, front and center.

Does it have to be a resort? I mean, this is close to a resort. Well, at least this is seen from 2 resorts. Plus it's the best photo I took all year.
    Shut it powstash, that's better than any shot I took all year.....I really really like that shot.

Hey Utards, the prize might be a trip to Utah, you might not be able to use it but you could fly a friend OR a maggot that is in some dire need of pow out here next season!

This contest like most photo contests are just a free way of them to get a huge stock library of photos. Granted some might not be good, but with all the people buying and using cameras more and more these days, there's bound to be some great shots submitted.

On the other hand, I haven't read all the fine print, but they could possibly have some rights issues to deal with since regardless of if they have rights to the shots by the contest submission, they will most likely NOT have model releases from the skier/snowboarder in the shot. I doubt people would bring this up, but it's a possibility.

I wonder if they would accept a photo of the current status of Utah resorts? I mean, the snow is melting pretty fast... look at the terrain park at The Canyons... it's all bare...

http://www.feedthehabit.com/pics/bik...jason_drop.jpg

I swear I took this at the resort this weekend... If you look pretty hard, you can see the halfpipe and the Uintas in the background...
    Last edited by powderboy; 03-23-2004 at 04:58 PM.

Re: Utah Snow Photo Contest

Originally posted by Red Baron
    The fine print: Photos will not be returned. In consideration for participating in the contest, participants agree that Ski Utah, or its designate, may use any photographic images provided for commercial purposes, without any further remuneration to the participant.

Participants further agree to assign all right, title and interest they may have in or to any images provided to Ski Utah and consent to their name or likeness being used by Ski Utah. Reservations for the Grand Prize are subject to availability at the time of booking. All travel must be completed on or before May 1, 2005.
    Why does the fine print make my shudder? Hey, thanks for giving them your pictures. Sorry, you didn't win, but they're going to use your picture to help them make a profit anyways.

Prizes are not transferable or convertible to cash. Employees of Ski Utah or their member resorts are not eligible to participate in this contest.
    Sorry, can't give the vacation to a friend, or win it if you work for one of the resorts.

</cynical NateR>
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

Thumbs up

Here's one of the best photo's I've_taken all year

http://biglines.com/photos/blpic20532.jpg

Originally posted by tibaher

You know you're high up when Snowbird looks flat from your vantage point. Sweet pic.
    SELECT IQ
    FROM
    Users
    WHERE
    IQ > 0

0 Row(s) affected.

Originally posted by tibaher

Even though I like powstash's photo, this shot by tibaher gets my vote.

Wow, very cool.

So "tibaher" from WA, USA is Lee Cohen?

Crazy.

Wink define:

_taken

My favorite scenic shot I've taken since moving to SLC:

BCC Creek
    SELECT IQ
    FROM
    Users
    WHERE
    IQ > 0

0 Row(s) affected.

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    http://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...0548/sarge.jpg
    Great promo shot for seniors thinking of a singles junket to Utah next winter. Taken just downstream from where Borderline snapped his shot of BCC creek.
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

Winner

Haus and Mrs...er..I mean my couger
    http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic21025.jpg

Haus
    http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic21024.jpg

So I win...yes?
    I like cows. Cow are cool.

Haus and Mrs...er..I mean my couger
    No question about who wears the....does that cougar have longer skis?
    yepper

She should - she's taller!!

I'm 26 she's 3$, who do you think wears the... I'm actually on the downhill, happens a lot, but I've got a couple of inches on her when I need to.

[/hijack]
    I like cows. Cow are cool.

Sorry, but it's fine print like that killing pro photog's these days.

Originally posted by splat
    Sorry, but it's fine print like that killing pro photog's these days.
    Yup

but I've got a couple of inches on her when I need to.
    Your wide open for that one.
    yepper

Originally posted by Lumpy
    http://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...0548/sarge.jpg
    Great promo shot for seniors thinking of a singles junket to Utah next winter. Taken just downstream from where Borderline snapped his shot of BCC creek.

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/...ing/laugh2.gif http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/...xxrotflmao.gif
    SELECT IQ
    FROM
    Users
    WHERE
    IQ > 0

0 Row(s) affected.