Anyone ever live in or near Franconia, NH?

And don't tell me it's cold . Duh.

The Old Man is gone..

But it sounds like another old man is considering taking his place.

What are you asking? Its the boondocks in many respects, but there's tons of outdoor stuff to do. If you like civilization and diversity, you won't find much of it there. Nearest real airport is Manchester. Nearest real city is either Montreal or Boston. Lots of rednecks in pickup trucks. License plate says "Live Free or Die" on it. Cannon mountain has great skiing. Cannon, Loon and Waterville are all right there. Bode lives nearby.

I never lived there, but I have spent time up there during the summer months. There is some great hiking, biking, lake swimming and fishing throughout the Presidentials and up to the Canadian border. Also, at night, watch out for moose. They can do a # on your subi.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I've lived out of my truck there in the summer and winter. Why?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I hear the police there are a real pain in the ass, but that their numbers are declining.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    But it sounds like another old man is considering taking his place.
    Yeah, maybe, I don't know.......

I hate Jersey, but I'm making big bucks. Phone interview tomorrow. Betcha it's real fucking cold up there sometimes.

My opinion is get the hell up there asap if your like the outdoors and don't like NJ, regardless of pay cut (most might say that in a ski forum though). Its very close to Washington and Cannon is my favorite NH mountain. If I were to live in NH it would be around there. GO don't look back

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    I hear the police there are a real pain in the ass, but that their numbers are declining.
    Oh, snap. Fun at Bode's (dead cousin's) expense. Where's that line judge guy to assess you 15 yards.
    [quote][//quote]

essentially lived in lincoln during high school and parents are up in north conway now.

second telepow on Cannon, it is GREAT in that whiteface kinda way- icy, cold, state owned, narrow curvy new england trails, no slopeside housing, crappy old chairs, lotsa history (and ski museum right there), bring your own lunch, great when it gets snow and some slackcountry right there.

my parents like living in north conway although they noticed a culture shock even coming from CT people are more "yankee"... i noticed ths too when i took a truckload of garbage to the dump and almost got arrested by the overzealous bartlet sheriff.

you will miss awesome restaurants FIERCELY. will you also miss the ocean?

pros:
    - low taxes
    - gorgeous mountains IMO prettier than VT and Maine
    - hiking, biking, skiing
    - change of seasons you get them all
    - lower cost of living than you are used to
    - easy access to boston, shoot down I-93 and you are there
    - close to VT, Maine, Canada
    - "Big Box"pervasive culture hasn't really entrenched there yet you still have a lot of cute mom & pop stores

cons:
    - people are very new england ie maybe not as friendly as you are used to
    - people kinda anti-non-locals when you first move possibly have trouble winning over neighbors especially the old ones
    - healthcare- you will miss a level of care, service education at the hospitals/drs that you are used to having access to the NYC area facilities (TRUST ME on this we are going through it with my uncle/mom right now)
    - if you have kids in the public school system, very underfunded, mismanaged etc
    - could get bored if you're into nightlife/culture/etc. have fun when the local movie theator is still playing "Capote"
    - Manchvegas.
    - White trashy people
    - Manchvegas.
    Last edited by BeanDip4All; 06-12-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeanDip4All View Post

pros:
    - low taxes

- "Big Box"pervasive culture hasn't really entrenched there yet you still have a lot of cute mom & pop stores

cons:

- White trashy people

Yeah, I probably tip over into serious home drinking with those cheap state stores. Probably find me frozen out by the woodpile some morning.

The big boxes suck in a lot of ways, but they can keep costs down. It's a bitch driving 45 minutes to the only hardware or other stuff store in the area.

And, after 3 years in upstate NY, I've had it with trash. But, then again, Jersey ain't the pinnacle of western culture.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 06-12-2007 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeanDip4All View Post

- Manchvegas.
    ???????????

Manchester/Las Vegas.

Duh.
    not counting days 2016-17

Manchvegas = Manchester NH

trashy, flashy, expect to see a lot of lowered rice-mobiles tooling around with ground effexx

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=manchvegas

see also (but not as bad), Rutvegas VT

Ahhhhhh....

If we're comparing jersey folk with northern NH folk, I don't think you're going to see much of a difference in "friendliness". My father's side of the family is from central/southern NJ, so I know them to be nice people. People up here are super friendly as well.

Franconia is a small town with small town politics, small town frills, and old timers fighting off transplants and change. If you are looking to move into ski country, I think you'll find this anywhere in New England.

As far as big boxes go and immediate access to things like Home Depot, Walmart, bigger movie theatres, and better gear shopping, etc...Littleton is just north about 20 minutes. North Conway is an hour via Rt. 3 and 302, maybe a touch less.

Burlington, VT is gonna take you about 2 hours plus, same with Boston. Manchester airport is 1.5 hours away...not bad.

People in northern NH don't go to Manchvegas to hang out, they keep going to Boston. Thats the truth. Although, Monarchs and Fisher Cats provide some good minor league sports.

I grew up in North Conway, have lived in Plymouth (40 mins south of Franconia) for the past three years, know a lot of people that grew up in the Franconia Notch area, and I think some of the pos/negs mentioned above are going to be true of many small towns in VT, NH, ME.

The access to skiing is right up there with Bartlett, North Conway, Bethel, and towns in VT. You're pretty damn close to the NH/VT border, and the ooutdoor scene is pretty endless in possibilities. There is a ton of great backcountry shots to be had outside of Lincoln, the Kanc, Franconia Notch, northern Presies, and Mittersill is still skiable.

And its fucking gorgeous up there!
    "I'm on the High-T and all I need is a little gravity to bring me back...back to the fringe"

Pour some beer for the Old Man.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague