Krypton forward flex

Just picked up backcountry's last pair of Krypton Pros, and I think I'll be joining the krypton kult. That ankle buckle really is sweet.

So there are 2 ways to adjust the forward flex - changing tongues, and adding/raising that stiffener thing that goes in the back cuff. Is it preferable to stiffen with the tongue first, then add the cuff stiffeners if more is needed - or the other way around? Or do they just give a different flex feel, and it's up to personal preference?

Damn, and I was going to ask you if you wanted my Krpyton's.....I was going to include both of my new sixth toes with them for free.....

Dude, if I added your sixth toe to my current seven, I don't think I could wear any ski boot

I went down a shell size from yours (25.5). They'll need some toebox grinding to prevent toe bash, but I think the tighter heelpocket will be worth it.
    Last edited by davep; 06-07-2007 at 03:36 PM.

So you'd say that the tongue changes the overall flex, while the stiffeners limit the range of the flex?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Damn, and I was going to ask you if you wanted my Krpyton's.....I was going to include both of my new sixth toes with them for free.....
    this happened to me too, but then went away.... only to come back again with spring time and warmer temps. I think the boot crushes the tow down whenever it flexes forward but I could be wrong.

I

I'll second Walter's experience and advice. Not related to flex, but FWIW, I've only ever used the rubber footbeds. Super comfortable, with no noticeable performance issues.

I grew some 6th toes by mid season this year, but had the shells blown out, and now the Kryps are plusher than my megarides.
    bodies be all up on my behind

the shims increase the forward lean

the stiff tongue stiffens the flex

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Quote Originally Posted by haydukelives View Post
    the shims increase the forward lean
    the stiff tongue stiffens the flex
    There are 2 different kinds of shims - there are one set that pop in from the outside of the back cuff, they adjust the forward lean. The other shims go on the inside of the back cuff, and they claim to stiffen the flex.

The stiffer tongue will give you a stiffer flex throughout the range. The shim in the back has 3 settings. No shim means full range of motion. The second setting reduces the range but is OK. Highest setting basically locks the cuff defeating the whole point of flexon/ krypton. IMO, stiffer tongue is preferable to shims. This winter with low temps, I was fine with soft tongue but in spring (temps in 50s), even soft tongue + highest shim was too soft.

BTW, right now I only have the soft tongue. I am same boot shell (25.5). If you find you like the soft tongue, sell me your stiff one.

Just got a pair of Dalbello Rampages today, not knowing they were members of such a legendary boot family, what a welcome surprise. They seem to be the softest of the bunch.

Reading up on the Krypton boots, I see a lot of people looking for stiff tongues and a lot of Dremel surgery going on in the flexon/megaride/krypton threads.

How closely related are the flexon family boots, and do I have a hope in hell of finding stiff 29.5 tongues that can be made to fit?

There are no tongues stiffer than the black ones. This boot is also designed to be a softer flex.
    Click. Point. Chute.

I love my Rampages. They are a suprisingly good fit, too.

I might be able to scrounge up a pair of stiff tongues for you...I'll try to check in a few days if I have some and let you know via PM.

While wasting time I came across this video of Glen Plake talking..... very..... slow..... about ..... the ..... Krypton ..... 's ..... many ..... features....

Still, interesting.