Check Out Our Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Then she should go to a local designer consignment store and see if they'll can get a decent amount for it - usually you get more than you would by pawning it (unless the jewelry store will take it back).

Believe it or not, that kind of thing doesn't have much resale value.

Quote Originally Posted by yogachik View Post
    (unless the jewelry store will take it back).
    actually, i think more reputable jewelry stores and/or some chains are starting to do 'buy backs' - for rings past the typically return period (30 days)

yep, i would still get an independent appraisal though, before walking into any store, and shoot for 50% at least, maybe try for as much as 75%.
    current ventures:

<<| Downhill-Divas |>> social network for women's mountain biking, skiing & snowboarding!
    twitter.com/elisabethos
    Adventures in Search & Social Marketing
    ...pmgear...

Believe it or not, that kind of thing doesn't have much resale value.
    The actual ring as a whole is worthless, but the components are commodities. The metal and the stone are worth what they are worth. Once she knows what grade stone and metal she has she should be able to get a fair price.

I'd give it back.

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    She should put the ring in a box, send it fedex insured to his place, or his parent's place and be done with it. This way there's no big emotional meeting to give the ring back.

Really bad karma and tacky to sell it. Though if I caught my fiance cheating, I might be tempted myself.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    he's legally got the right to ask for it back.
    Depends where you are, but generally yeah (unless he broke it off, in which case, generally it's the property of the donee, depending on where you are, generally).

I'm speaking in generalities, here.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    I'm speaking in generalities, here.
    You're getting the hang of this lawyering thing pretty quick there, SSD.

Whoever said upthread 50%-75%! Ha - lucky to get 20% of value. I know, my mother owns a top designer resale store in tony Brentwood, she deals in divorcee jewelry all day long (and this is for the best of the best).

Whoever said upthread 50%-75%! Ha - lucky to get 20% of value. I know, my mother owns a top designer resale store in tony Brentwood, she deals in divorcee jewelry all day long (and this is for the best of the best).
    that was me - i didn't know the going rate anyway, but I'd also be interested in the parting it out theory to see if that would bring it more value....

at 20% of value, i'd keep the damn thing - even if it stays in the jewelry box... better to have a nice piece/components that could be melted later for something else... or perhaps convienently, it will get "stolen" - renters or homeowners would cover it if she had the appraisal added to her policy.

i don't think there's a legal debate here at all - a gift is is a gift. an engagement ring is a gift.
    current ventures:

<<| Downhill-Divas |>> social network for women's mountain biking, skiing & snowboarding!
    twitter.com/elisabethos
    Adventures in Search & Social Marketing
    ...pmgear...

All the jewelry people I dealt with when I was in the market had, at a minimum, a 70% buy-back policy for diamond, nothing for the setting.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I recall hearing on NPR there is website specifically for selling your wedding/engagement ring that didn't work out. The website takes a small margin (I want to say 4&#37 and I guess there are a fair number of buyers who like this.

Quote Originally Posted by skiguide View Post
    i don't think there's a legal debate here at all - a gift is is a gift. an engagement ring is a gift.
    Actually it's not - necessarily. There have been many ccourt rulings that say it's a contract - a promissory something (SSD is the lawyer, not me) that you will marry the ring-giver. You back out of that contract, or it gets voided in some way, then the ring could still be considered the property of the buyer.

Kinda like if I bought a car for you to use. If you decide you don't want to stick around then I should get the car back, no?

I kno this is kind of the opposite route here, but several large jewelry chain stores offer to give you the purchase value of the ring towards a future purchase 2x the original amount. so then you can get a sweet piece of jewelry for roughly 50&#37; off.

Either that or just donate the thing and let the charity get the money for it and put it to good use. Win-win there.. you arent reminded of the failed engagement by keeping it and dont feel like a schiester by selling it.
    Don't be that guy. That guy is dead.
    www.skimavrick.smugmug.com

If she is intent on not giving the ring back and she wants to sell it offer to give her a decent chunk for it. The jewelry stores aren't going to give her much since they have to mark it up to make it profitable. Just try to buy it back and use it for the next ingagement -- or use it as a trade-up at a jewelry store if you can buy it back. Generally jewelry stores will give you decent trade-up value -- much better than if they just bought it from you outright.

Edit: As Maverick said... at least Shane company will give you the purchase price for the stone assuming you buy a stone that is worth twice as much. For the ring they will give you the purchase price towards any ring (not including the diamond) that is $1.00 more than the original ring purchase price. Typically you purchase the ring and diamond seperately there.
    Last edited by Crass3000; 05-21-2007 at 06:23 AM.

the buyer of any retail diamond has already been ripped off.

the mark up is huge, and the stone would be worthless without cartel supply limit and advertising. youd be lucky to get 25% selling it back to a store, and thats if they are "honest" because thats what they can buy it for. best bet is another retail sucker. then you can get 50-75% and its still a good deal for them. but then again, she got it for free.

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Actually it's not - necessarily. There have been many court rulings that say it's a contract - a promissory something that you will marry the ring-giver.
    Here's an article about the entire thing.

Tipp's right. If there is an expectation of marriage attached to the ring, it's not just a no-strings-attached gift (or "gratuitous donation," if you want to be fancy). It is either a conditional gift or consideration for a contractual obligation. The ending of the engagement destroys the promise of marriage, which is either the consideration given in exchange for the ring or the condition which must obtain to keep the gift a gift.

Warning: boring halfassed law talking follows (this is basically what I remember from 1L, so if I get something wrong, lay off! I'm tired).

Whether or not the ring is a conditional gift or contractual consideration is really more important in determining who gets the ring once the engagement is off. If it is a conditional gift, then the no-fault rule is usually applied- it doesn't matter who breaks up with whom, all that matter is the wedding is off, the condition is not going to be fulfilled, and the ring should be returned.

Courts employing the contract-law based analysis are more willing to examine who is at fault in the break-up. If the ring recipient got hammered and made out with the donor's father, he or she will likely have to return the ring- they shouldn't get the benefit of a bargain that they destroyed. On the other hand, if it's the ring donor who got caught cattin' around, the recipient may get to hold onto the ring, because it wasn't their fault that the wedding is off. Unless it was, because the ring recipient drove the donor into the arms of her best friend because of her frigid loins, etc, etc... This approach can get messy, which is why the above no-fault/"conditional gift" approach is preferred by modern courts.

I hate frigid loins.

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    Sell it?

Tacky, classless move.

If she's going to sell it, she sounds like the kind of girl who likes crack. I think she should trade it for crack or pennies on the dollar at a pawn shop to buy crack.

If he was cheating, well, maybe the sell is justified. But he had better of cheated up. Any respectable cheater never cheats down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    So after a long and not so subtle or pleasant feud, my friend and her FiAnce are finished. She comes to me the other day and asks...how much do you think this is worth and how do i sell it. Not sure why she's asking me but the question got me to wondering...

How exactly would you sell a diamond ring or i guess what appears to be expensive jewerly and MORE IMPORTANTLY, how do you know you're not getting ripped off? I guess this is a no brainer for criminals that deal in diamonds and shit on the down low but for a regular sort it's a pretty tough question...at least i think so. All i could think of was pawn shop, but that seems low ball?

anyone?
    Well other than doing the right thing and giving it back to the guy. Pawn shops might give you 100 bucks depending upon the cut of the diamond.

So as not to c*nt up the other awesome (and getting awesomer by the minute) engagement ring thread, I am trying to figure out what to pay for a ring. In particular a family heirloom that my uncle has somehow ended up with in the midst of dividing my grandmother's estate, and is now trying to sell to her remaining unmarried grandkids. Yes I think it's trashy too. Do I offer him 20% of appraised value? 50%? $5 and a kick in the nyuts?
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    I been wondering what to do with my wedding ring. Selling it would be like passing bad karma unto the next guy. Giving it back is a slap. I'm thinking it goes into the ocean.
    Let me know what you come up with. I'm wondering the same thing. I'm thinking about tossing it into a raging volcano ala Lord of the Rings, Hummm......

Most volcanos I know of are in really cool places = cool trip for me. Bonus....
    Last edited by Mr Sparkle; 04-18-2008 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by khakis View Post
    So as not to c*nt up the other awesome (and getting awesomer by the minute) engagement ring thread, I am trying to figure out what to pay for a ring. In particular a family heirloom that my uncle has somehow ended up with in the midst of dividing my grandmother's estate, and is now trying to sell to her remaining unmarried grandkids. Yes I think it's trashy too. Do I offer him 20% of appraised value? 50%? $5 and a kick in the nyuts?
    call all the other grandkids and get them to collude with you on not buying the ring from him and then get with the other siblings to collude with you on making him give you the ring.

but yes, a kick in the nuts.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

funny story...
    an old boss from years ago (he was Director of Skiing and a big dooshbag) was playing host to the San Diego Chargers Cheerleaders who were part of some promotion at our resort. He's leading a couple of them through the offices when I notice him remove his wedding band and toss it over by his desk. But it keeps rolling and ends up at my feet.

I picked it up and pocketed it. A couple years later a buddy was getting married and needed a ring so I gave it to him. They break up and not only did he not return the ring to me, he sells it for $800!

Not sure if that story is helpful or not.

Here's an interesting take on the subject. (The entire serious is hilarious, depressing, sarcastic and vaguely informative)

My dog did not bite your dog, your dog bit first, and I don't have a dog.

get it appraised by a jewlery appraiser...go from there...you could have success on ebay if you have papers and have appraisal in hand..you/she wont get the appraised value, but should be able to still get some good cash off it.

Good luck..

Any naked pics of said friend?