In Honor of LB's TR: Fall Days Afield

I went training with live quail over Easter weekend with my lab, my father and his brittany, and my brother-in-law and his GWP. It was in the 20's, windy and blowing snow. The weather couldn't stop the good time had by all.

My dog doesn't get a lot of training with live birds other than the few times we went to the nearby hunting grounds to find wild pheasant so this was treat for her.

Here is my father's brittany on point:

Here's my father getting ready to flush pointed quail:

Here's my brother-in-law's GWP on point:

Here's a picture of my lab searching:

Summit just prior to a flush:

Since my father is only one of the group with bird training permit he had to do all the shooting. Here are a couple of shots of my father shooting after the bird was flushed. Neither dog is steady to wing. Both worked on it a little bit that day, but nothing too serious as the day was mostly about keeping the dogs steady on point.

Here's Casey in mid retrieve of a shot bird:

And here's Casey retrieving to hand:

By the time we left the dogs were all tired, but ready for more. I haven't had that much fun training in a long time. Between watching the two dogs hold point until with such intensity to seeing my lab perform perfectly from proper ranging, to flushing to retrieving to heel and hand I couldn't ask for a more productive day.

So awesome Grange! Thanks.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Looking good. Thanks for the idea I just got for the pup - Voile ski strap collar.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

heh, those are e-collars
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

I figured more dogs in action pictures are necessary. Another cross post. This one is about a Nation Shoot to Retrieve Association (NSTRA) trial this past weekend, April 14&15, 2007.

I went to watch my first NSTRA trial this past weekend and had a great time. I was rooting for my father's brittany so a lot of the pictures are of him. I thought there were some really talented dogs out there. The two fields were quite a bit different in coverage and size with field B being the bigger of the two. Field A was a mostly a cornfield and most of the field could be seen from the gallery. Field B was split in two by a couple of rolling hills. The first half was a mowed field and the second half was taller grass with wet areas. Only the mowed area could be seen from the gallery.

One thing that evident from the first brace was how competitive it was. Almost everyone was friendly with each other, but they liked to keep the details to themselves or only share with people that already ran. Everyone was very helpful answering questions and explaining the rules, but when it came to giving details like past bird placements they were intentionally vague. I wasn't offended at all because after all it is a competition.

I saw one breed I've never seen in action before, a small munsterlander. It's tail wagged throughout the whole trial. Probably because of all the fun it was having. Otherwise I saw brittanies, english setters, english pointers, German shorthair pointers, and German wirehaired pointers. All performed well but there were some distinct differences I saw.

The GWP's didn't range nearly as far as the rest. They were fast and covered the ground as well as the rest, but stayed closer to their handler than the others. As you will see that didn't stop them from finding birds over larger ranging english pointers and setters.

The GSP's I saw really impressed me. They ranged big when desired and were very obedient. There was one GSP that was 11yrs old I believe but I certainly couldn't tell. I only know that because I was told that by someone in the gallery. It had every bit as much energy as the EP it was running against. It also probably had the biggest range. At one point (I have a picture of it) it came to the front of B field and went on point. I don't think its handler or judge had any idea where it was because the judges generally stayed within site of the dogs and both were no where to be found. After several minutes the judge finally found the dog still on a solid point. by the time the handler got there the EP found the GSP and went on a staunch back.

The english pointers were probably the best at locking point. The GSP were almost as good, but it didn't take much for the EP to lock up at first scent. They tended to have more false points, but the distance they would be from the bird was really impressive.

The english setters were the most fun to watch run. Windsor, a small female was possibly the quickest on the field and definitely the most fun to watch (except for my father's brittany ). I was also a good bird finder. I also really enjoyed the high tail flowing tail on point.

The brittanies seemed to search the most. My father's dog was also one of the biggest running dogs out there. That surprised me because in the grouse woods and he's a fairly close ranging dog. He doesn't even range that far out when pheasant hunting. Maybe he knows the game? Some of the brittanies were also very vocal, including my father's.

Three dogs got lost that I know of during the two day trial. One GSP and two EP's. All the dogs seemed to know how the game is played. Once the handler lets go or gives the command they take a huge initial run and try to beat the other dog to the area they want to search. Some even seemed to track the 4-wheelers (used for planting quail).

Now to the pictures. I never road with the the judges or walked along so the pictures are with my zoomed in with my point and shoot digital.

Windsor the little female ES and Tess? a GWP getting ready to start out.

Windsor the little female ES and Tess? taking off.

My father's brittany, Hawken and an ES, Zeke (3x champ I believe).

Zeke at the end of the brace.

Hawken on the second of four points that brace.

GWP on point with an EP backing.

The same EP on point. I think this was a false point, but he did find several birds.

GSP (Miles) on point.

The 11 year old GSP on the long point.

The EP backing the GSP on point.

Another start to a brace.

And another.

Field A.

A GWP running in a brace. I should have played more with the shutter speed.

An EP in mid run in the same brace.

An EP retrieving.

A bunch of pictures of my father and his brittany from both fields.

Hawken searching.

More searching.

Hawken and EP waiting in the blind.

Hawken on his first point of the weekend.

Same point.

I hope everyone likes the TR as much as I enjoyed taking the pictures.
    Last edited by Grange; 04-17-2007 at 07:40 AM.

Again, well played. Great TR man.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Awesome! I love pointers. We currently have a lab (which is an awesome hunting dog mind you) but the dogs that point are just a joy to watch. Very cool

I own a lab as well. For not quite being three she had a great hunting season last year. I'm expecting a lot more this year too. I love hunting with my dog, but there is just something about watching a dog go on point.