Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rant: I got shpoinked in Gear Swap - kinda

So on 3/13 a fellow with few posts (all in gearswap and his total is now 8 posts - and no need to remind me that I have relatively few as well) puts up an ad for an item I was interested in. I'm pretty sure I was the first to call dibs (pending pics) via PM. He says he'll send pics the next day. Nothing happens. Last week I sent him another message via email asking what happened. Nothing happens again.

On the 24th (11 days later) I get a PM from someone under a different TGR username (also with an extremely low post count) saying, 'sorry I sold the XXXXX's at a gear swap TODAY." No, 'sorry to waste your time' or 'shoulda told you I was doing that' or 'fuck you. You're a dick and I don't want to sell you my shit'. NADA.

WTF? It's fine if you want to sell them at a gear swap, they're yours and you can do with them as you will, but don't post an ad unless you intend to follow through for chrissakes. A little communication would be nice too.

I've moved on from this tragedy and my life is not too terribly much worse for not being able to acquire the item for my lovely wife, but I just want to know if it's OK if I publicly call him a douchenozzle or dicksmoker or something?
    Last edited by oftpiste; 03-26-2007 at 06:09 PM. Reason: story accuracy

He only has eight posts, its not as if he is some contributing member to the forum who was away for some time and forgot to get back to you, etc.

sounds like a douchenozzle to me, out him
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

Communication woulda been nice, but in the end, really not much a deal if you ask me.

I don't think this is a big deal... no one lost money or gear, so its just a matter of some newb being irresponsible.

Agreed.

Still sucks for you sorry man.

Don't get me wrong. I know it's not a big deal. I just want to call him a douchenozzle because, well, that sort of behavior is indeed douchenozzlish and he should be reminded that it is so. Perhaps it will not occur again (to others?) were he to be so named and reminded.

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    give him the option to explain his side of the story before you out him, if he declines, out the newb
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

Where's the interesting part of the story? I'm still waiting for a hook. You know.

whiners

if ur dealing with a mag... fine... if ur dealing with someone with a low post count.. its buyer beware... so u missed out. sob in ur shirt and get on with life. geez.

Quote Originally Posted by stump832 View Post
    Where's the interesting part of the story? I'm still waiting for a hook. You know.
    Thinking the same thing.
    PistOft, If I get this right, you want our permission to call someone a douchenozzel?
    Man up, dude. If you want to call him out, do it. Let the chips fall.
    Who cares what we think.
    I like me, I really, really like me.

If he is in London let's get a crew together and beat him to a bloody pulp!!

At least let's threaten/promise to do so.

After a bit we'll just go to the pub instead.....but Feck him! No way are we buying him a drink!

on the pointy end, calling the line, swearing my fucking ass off
    Quote Originally Posted by stump832 View Post
    He then went and set his house on fire.
    There ya go.
    The only thing worse than the feeling that you are going to die is the realization that you probably won't.

Yeah, he's a definate douchenozzle.

I had something similar happen very recently...I'd been searching for some Scarpa F1 boots for ages, and lo and behold, a pair shows up on SLC Craigslist. So I email the guy, he emails me back with details and a phone number. I call repeatedly, but get voicemail. Half a dozen more emails go unanswered. Still though, I'm not concerned becasue I know people travel. A few more phone calls, and nothing. Finally, after 2 months, I stop harssing the guy, assuming he must have sold the boots already. Then, another week later (about 7 weeks from the first contact) I see the same seller with the same item posted AGAIN on SLC Craigslist, this time for $25 more than before. Again, I immediately email him and he replies confirming that they're still available. I email him back ight away to set up payment, and a few days goes by. I email him again asking what's going on. FInally, he emails me back and said that he just sold the boots! I was furious! Wasn't I waiting in line for over 2 months?? Wtf? Another well qualified douchenozzle for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by couloir View Post
    if ur dealing with a mag... fine... if ur dealing with someone with a low post count.. its buyer beware... so u missed out. sob in ur shirt and get on with life. geez.
    for the love of god, they are words, it isn't that hard to type out "you" and "are".

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    for the love of god, they are words, it isn't that hard to type out "you" and "are".
    indeed, but he does make a good point with those, er, words. Just because someone shows up here and starts posting doesn't mean they are a maggot. What I'm more amazed with are the gear swap junkies that treat this part of the message board as thier home away from home but they don't bring anything to the table for the collective. It's all about the "me" factor for them.

carry on...
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Yeah... put yourself in the sellers position. Some guy might want them pending pictures of item for sale, but another guy at a gear swap has cash in hand and wants to buy them right now, what would you do? Not to mention now the seller doesn't have to deal with boxing and shipping, collecting money, etc.

Money talks.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Yeah obviously the seller would rather just hand them off in person and get cash in hand. Boxing shit up, taking it to the store, getting screwed by paypal, taking the MO to the bank, worrying about whether the buyer is a douchenozzle that won't pay etc etc. Posting something on gear swap isn't exactly the same as promising to sell to the first willing buyer, where ever they may be.
    Stop whining!
    "Unfortunately, Meadows mgmt/marketing found out about the PR stash and published it on their trail map."

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I get a PM from someone under a different TGR username (also with an extremely low post count) saying, 'sorry I sold the XXXXX's at a gear swap TODAY."
    That seems a bit off colour for a Gear Swap transaction...

Quote Originally Posted by corn dog View Post
    Yeah obviously the seller would rather just hand them off in person and get cash in hand. Boxing shit up, taking it to the store, getting screwed by paypal, taking the MO to the bank, worrying about whether the buyer is a douchenozzle that won't pay etc etc. Posting something on gear swap isn't exactly the same as promising to sell to the first willing buyer, where ever they may be.
    Stop whining!
    Exactly. Posting something for sale on Gear Swap isn't really an "offer." It's just an invitation to deal.

pfft. that's nothing.

I've been trying to buy a Switchblade frame from a dude on ebay. He has listed it 4 times, nary gathering bid. At first, there was a sizing issue. He had it listed as a 19" large. Well, a 19" SB measured center of BB shell to top of the seat post mast is a small. I email asking to clarify, remeasure the seat tube and maybe measure the head tube. He emails back the HT measurement, doesn't compute with the Titus catalog. I email him once a week asking if he had a chance to measure the seat tube. No answer, relists. This cycles on for 4 weeks. He finally emails back saying that there is no way it is a small frame, but doesn't provide any measurments to back it up. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by assgasorgrass View Post
    pfft. that's nothing.

I've been trying to buy a Switchblade frame from a dude on ebay. He has listed it 4 times, nary gathering bid. At first, there was a sizing issue. He had it listed as a 19" large. Well, a 19" SB measured center of BB shell to top of the seat post mast is a small. I email asking to clarify, remeasure the seat tube and maybe measure the head tube. He emails back the HT measurement, doesn't compute with the Titus catalog. I email him once a week asking if he had a chance to measure the seat tube. No answer, relists. This cycles on for 4 weeks. He finally emails back saying that there is no way it is a small frame, but doesn't provide any measurments to back it up. Ridiculous.

Why be angry? He saved you many possible headaches of dealing with his slacker arse.

Quote Originally Posted by assgasorgrass View Post
    pfft. that's nothing.

I think a good lesson to learn here is to never deal with a person who does not know how to use a tape measure. We could probably extend that to people who don't know how to use a camera as well.

I'm really curious... what exactly is a douchenozzle??

Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    Yeah... put yourself in the sellers position. Some guy might want them pending pictures of item for sale, but another guy at a gear swap has cash in hand and wants to buy them right now, what would you do? Not to mention now the seller doesn't have to deal with boxing and shipping, collecting money, etc.

Money talks.
    Indeed. And I have the money and was fully prepared to let him have it. However, the gear swap at which he sold them was nearly two weeks later and not even close to the day after I told him I wanted them, so the 'what's easier' thing don't fly.

I know there are many gnarlier stories out there, and I kind of thought the whole thing was funny enough to merit a post. While I can understand being accused of whining (though it really was originally intended to be something of a humorous rant) I think the real point I was attempting to make was this:

If you post an ad in TGR's Gear Swap - not a 'feeler' but a 'FS:XXXXXX' - then you should be prepared to - at a bare minimum - communicate your intentions to a ready, willing and able buyer (raises hand) who has responded to your ad. Something like, "hey - thanks for your inquiry. I'm taking them to a gear swap next week and if I don't sell them there I'll sell them to you". In addition, if this kind of thing is your intention, why post an ad here at all? If you are not prepared to follow through with your ad and actually sell the goddam item you've advertised as being FOR SALE, don't waste people's time! Let them know what's up, pull the ad, send them a note, whatever.

Though I understand I didn't lose money or get ripped off, the whole thing was lacking in common courtesy which is the norm from my previous experiences in Gear Swap. It's pretty much what makes Gear Swap work and a nice place to buy stuff. Therefore, I maintain that he behaved douchenozzlishly and not in the spirit to which we are accustomed here. But I also know it ain't no big deal. Just having a conversation, right?

Not to mention I've wanted to use the word 'douchenozzle' ever since I first read it here and forutnately do not run into many who deserve being called one. Kudos to the originator.
    Last edited by oftpiste; 03-27-2007 at 03:25 PM.