Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Praxis vs Moment Comi: 136mm waist Reno-built ski showdown

The Moment Comi (160/136/145, 186cm) is getting nothing but positive reviews. Ditto for the Praxis pow ski (131/136/124, 186cm).

Anyone skiied both? Care to offer a comparison review?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

fair comparison?
    sounds and looks like theyre totally different.

or is this just a Reno, NV 136mm thing, cause it would seem more fitting to compare the lotus to the praxis, and a comi to um maybe a sumo, megafat, fatypus, or prophete 130.

Do you want traditional side-cut or non-traditional side-cut?

It's not like the skis are side-by-side equivalents.

praxis is a spatula

comi is a traditional sidecut
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Do you want traditional side-cut or non-traditional side-cut?

It's not like the skis are side-by-side equivalents.
    I know. Initially, seems like apples & oranges -- and maybe it is. Just daydreaming, thinking "which would I like more for a powder ski."

I have Spatulas, and expect that the Praxis would ski similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

personally, and not sure if you even care, but Id wait for the next ski thats similar to a DP120 in shape with a tad of tip rocker\long shovel and traditional to flat camber underfoot to the tail.

You can carve on the Comis....that would sell it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I have Spatulas, and expect that the Praxis would ski similar.
    They do.

I think they are better at a few minor things but it's still not like you can lay on the tips and rail a huge carving arc on packed snow.

On the commis you can.

That said, I don't think the commis would have been as fun on what I was skiing yesterday. In a bunch of tight places playing mario brothers on a bunch of little pillowed rocks in tight trees was pretty damn fun. You've got spats so you know how maneuverable they are in tight (and let's be honest....a lot of times slower) type skiing in deep snow.

If I can find someone with little girly feet like me who wouldn't mind me taking a run or two on their commis, and I like them........I still kicking the idea around of getting a pair. But I also don't plan on getting rid of the praxis. They're different toys.

Unless you want to sell your spats, I'd focus on the commis or something similar.

edit: praxis are made in soda springs
    Last edited by kidwoo; 02-26-2007 at 03:18 PM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

As woo is alluding too, the only real answer is to get both praxis and comis.

if mc_roon gets his shit together and gets out to utah instead of mexico for spring break i'll be able to give a direct spatula/comi review. My early perdiction, they both slay the pow, spatula gets the edge in tighter trees and lines, comi gets the edge in long traverses and the groomed stuff down to the lift....
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    ...My early perdiction, they both slay the pow, spatula gets the edge in tighter trees and lines, comi gets the edge in long traverses and the groomed stuff down to the lift....
    Sounds like a prophecy...I'd have to agree.

I had the 130 and now have the Praxis, when skiing the deep I found that with trad side cut I ended up fighting the ski a lot.

Sounds like everyone says that if you like the spat you will love the praxis cuz it is lighter and runs better on traverses.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    Sounds like a prophecy...
    Sounds more like common sense
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

but we can have so much fun proving the common sense prophecy as long as he realizes he can chase women anytime, but skiing is a finite endeavor. I'm throwing down that I'm a better skier than he is, and if he doesn't get out to utah to prove me wrong, my word becomes law.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

but we can have so much fun proving the common sense prophecy as long as he realizes he can chase women anytime,
    STD-less women i might add...

not having skied the praxis this may be a little off. and i'm sure i would love the feel and preformace of the praxis, i know omeara does and i have a lot of respect for that guy's skills. but i skied on the spatula about 80% of my days last year and i have not skied them once this year. the comi is too much damn fun, in everything. (maybe not the pipe)

anyways, i love my comi

Quote Originally Posted by basom View Post
    not having skied the praxis this may be a little off. and i'm sure i would love the feel and preformace of the praxis, i know omeara does and i have a lot of respect for that guy's skills. but i skied on the spatula about 80% of my days last year and i have not skied them once this year. the comi is too much damn fun, in everything. (maybe not the pipe)

anyways, i love my comi
    Sell me your soft premies and I'll carry you on my back to whatever skinning you had plannied with them.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    In a bunch of tight places playing mario brothers on a bunch of little pillowed rocks in tight trees was pretty damn fun. You've got spats so you know how maneuverable they are in tight (and let's be honest....a lot of times slower) type skiing in deep snow.
    The comis are surprisingly quick in tight shit (like EC trees) -- I think due to the lack of significant sidecut from the waist to tail and the fact that the actual running length is pretty short, or at least feels that way (anybody have a tapemeasure?). The Spatula/Praxis fans might be surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

i haven't skied either the Praxis nor the Comi so perhaps i should just stuff it...

however i have skied the Spatulas for one season and for the last 2 seasons the Sumo. from that experience, i know i definitely dig the Sumo w/ the traditional side cut for pow, trees, groomers, carving etc.

i am definitely interested in the Comis (and or Rubys) and dropped the folks at Moment an email, but haven't heard back. so hopefully at some point i can add some first hand feedback on at least the Moment skis.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    You can carve on the Comis....that would sell it for me.
    in slush, like in that pic you posted @ squaw?

a ski that wide (or even less wide) is not really likely to "carve" on anything firmer than packed pow.... not that any of us ever ski that stuff...*cough*... certainly not in low-snow years.

if the comi (i always want to fix that spelling) does carve in those conditions, then it's the ski of all-time.

i've found skis that go well from pow to the groomed/firm... but one would be hard-pressed to say anything north of 110 @ the waist is 'carving' hardpack.

now...whether they feel more or less "in control" in those conditions than spats/praxis/138s/etc is an altogether different story.

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    in slush, like in that pic you posted @ squaw?

a ski that wide (or even less wide) is not really likely to "carve" on anything firmer than packed pow.... not that any of us ever ski that stuff...*cough*... certainly not in low-snow years.

if the comi (i always want to fix that spelling) does carve in those conditions, then it's the ski of all-time.

i've found skis that go well from pow to the groomed/firm... but one would be hard-pressed to say anything north of 110 @ the waist is 'carving' hardpack.

now...whether they feel more or less "in control" in those conditions than spats/praxis/138s/etc is an altogether different story.
    but passing people on groomers with your skis perpindicular to the direction you are traveling is so much fun...

IIRC, you can do both right carves and left carves on the comi.

Since I tweaked my 103s, I'm even more interested in the comi. Now I just have to convince 666 to let me try out his comis before I commit to a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    one would be hard-pressed to say anything north of 110 @ the waist is 'carving' hardpack.
    if you had alpine boots and bindings your tune would be different

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    but passing people on groomers with your skis perpindicular to the direction you are traveling is so much fun...
    Yeah...... POTD.

Buuuuut..... Methinks imma hafta buy some comis too. Just to be certain.

And stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    if you had alpine boots and bindings your tune would be different
    zing!

realistically, though, it's rare to have these skis on ice or something *really* firm.... and while i've had experience with at least 5-6 100+mm waist skis (more than some, less than others) on firm terrain and have enjoyed them, "carving" it is not. all it takes is 2 minutes on even a 90mm-waist ski to feel the difference.

any snow that is soft (even a packed 1/2" of pow) and the story is different.

but you know me... i can barely handle my skis! damn AT-ers!

Quote Originally Posted by Spdfrk43 View Post
    The comis are surprisingly quick in tight shit (like EC trees)
    Yeah but EC trees only have EC 'pow'

I'm kidding. I know some areas have been getting pounded out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Spdfrk43 View Post
    I think due to the lack of significant sidecut from the waist to tail and the fact that the actual running length is pretty short, or at least feels that way (anybody have a tapemeasure?). The Spatula/Praxis fans might be surprised.
    Totally. Loan me your pair so I can test them out. I'm stil interested in trying them out sometime.